[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hundred odd pages into this and its boring as fuck. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: devils.gif (44KB, 250x387px) Image search: [Google]
devils.gif
44KB, 250x387px
Hundred odd pages into this and its boring as fuck. Does it get any better?
>>
>>7568856
Nothing ever gets better than fuck.
>>
>>7568864
bravo, i am going to steal that
>>
>>7568891
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7568856
>implying people read
>>
>>7568856
you should read more about russian history to appreciate it
>>
>>7568856

>The first part cliffhanger is someone slapping one another

Really Dosto?
>>
>>7568856
I gave up 2/3s in, OP.

Color me pleb.
>>
>>7569217
Its not even that i dont appreciate it it just seems bland and lifeless
>>
File: 1452250289709.jpg (41KB, 336x303px) Image search: [Google]
1452250289709.jpg
41KB, 336x303px
>>7568856
>Dostoyevsky
>Anything other than slow-moving and incredibly depressing

I too was once young and eager to read Literature. You will find no satisfaction within those withered pages. All love and passion is gone. It is a cold, hollow thing. Now, cast it away from yourself before you are consumed by its cursed aura. What the fuck is with Russian authors? Christ. Tolstoy was just as bad.
>>
>>7571962
>Anything other than slow-moving and incredibly depressing

???

really nigga? you didn't laugh at any of the comedy in notes or brothers? what a pleb lmao
>>
>>7568856
No. It's by far the most boring novel he has ever written.
>>
I got 300 pages into TBK and it was like one big Supermarket Romance Novel level shit with a russian twist, honestly. Even reading like supplemental shit with it because I thought I was missing something, nope, wasn't missing much at all.

People say "Oh Dost's characters! They are so great!" No, not really. I mean, it's not really bad, but it's not worth investing the time at all. I could be missing some grand shit after those 300ish pages, but I highly doubt it.
>>
File: 1296070151399.png (9KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1296070151399.png
9KB, 344x341px
>>7571972
>comedy in notes or brothers?
Comedy?
>mfw it occurs to me that I read Dostoyevsky as a super cereal guy in my early 20's.

Now that I think about it, there were a lot of cringe moments from the Underground Man that might have been funny if I didn't feel such a connection to the idiot. Is it possible that my tryhard, early 20's mind mistook wry humor for pseudo-intellectual, emo bullshit?
>>
>>7568856

it's pretty boring because essentially the theme is "These youngsters are really getting into that... nihilism stuff... whatever can we do?"

i mean it's pretty funny, the little nihilists fuck a lot of things up for the older folks. also it might be worth slogging through for Stavrogin -- he's one of Dosto's more infamous characters

i remember i was reading it after having taken a benadryl on top of some beers (didn't know you weren't supposed to) and i remember thinking "it really isn't boring enough to justify this drowsiness"

i think it gets a little better OP, but i definitely think it's slower moving than C&P or the Idiot or TBK
>>
>>7571996
>I thought I was missing something, nope, wasn't missing much at all.

I would say that since you likely didn't read the novel in Russian, and likely weren't steep in Russian culture, if you found the novel shallow and pedantic, there is a very good chance that you did indeed miss something.
>>
>>7572002
>Is it possible that my tryhard, early 20's mind mistook wry humor for pseudo-intellectual, emo bullshit?

almost certainly what happened.
>>
>>7572002

yes

i've laughed heartily reading all Dosty's novels

(especially Lebedev crawling into the fireplace in The Idiot omfg that had me in tears I swear)
>>
File: PredatorManshakeSOB.gif (372KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
PredatorManshakeSOB.gif
372KB, 300x167px
>>7572012
My god...This changes EVERYTHING! I genuinely just dusted off my copy of Notes from the Underground. I'm a little excited to see what I might have missed.
>>
>>7568856

The real question is, do you get any better?
>>
>>7572029
enjoy it anon
>>
>>7568864
>"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex." - Huxley

Pleb confirmed
>>
>>7568856
i finished his "crime and punishment" 2 days ago and i had to read it in like 4 blocks cause it gets fairly slow as well in parts and it seems like a fairly active story desu. i was gonna pick up TBK next but now im thinking against it.
>>
>>7572011
No footnotes, cliffnotes, sparknotes, or companion books I looked at showed I missed anything important or profound. Anecdotes from Fyodor does not make for a great novel, and I'm not learning Russian and all about Russian history and culture up to Fyodor's time for a book I already have a bad impression for. So I'm a lost cause either way then.
>>
>>7571962
Bulgakov is fun though
>>
>>7572057
>quoting a hack
>>
>>7573165
This
Master and margarita had some of the most memorable scenes I've read in my life
All the naked women running out of the theater, everything the henchmen did on their little rampage, it was definitely a departure from the general dryness russian lit can fall into
>>
>>7573183
What makes him a hack?
That most of his opinions has been parroted to death in our age so much that what he said originally seems cliche?
He was ahead of his team whether you like it or not.
>>
>>7573196
Not just that Heart of a Dog is legit on the best novellas I've read.

I keep thinking maybe its the time period or maybe im just missing something with it; i mean im still reading it but a lot of it is unnecessary. Hes good at writing language but i dont need to know every facial expression and why, the speech should be indictive enough.

Maybe its just me
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.