[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any science students here? What do you study and what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: Paracelsus.jpg (109KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
Paracelsus.jpg
109KB, 500x667px
Are there any science students here? What do you study and what's your take on literary fiction? Is it just a waste of time?
>>
>>7563142
>What do you study and what's your take on literary fiction? Is it just a waste of time?
Why would we be on lit if this is what we thought?
>>
>>7563154
To tell people who like literary fiction that we don't consider it a worthwhile activity
>>
stemfag here
i like books
>>
What's the point of reading fiction?
>>
File: stanczyk by jan matejko.jpg (337KB, 1331x1001px) Image search: [Google]
stanczyk by jan matejko.jpg
337KB, 1331x1001px
>>7563142
Masterrace mech here. Sometimes I really doubt whether I am gaining anything from wasting my time reading fiction and switch to something more informational. Then I get really bored from the dry style of non-fiction books and start to read philosophy. Then I doubt I am getting any knowledge at all from reading philosophy books in no specific order and switch to something esoterical/religious. Then after reading through all that mysterious and illogical crap, I switch back to a good classic for some artistic sense. This iteration then continous.

Math has ruined me.
>>
>>7563271
This is me, hello
>>
>>7563261

usually people wander into the world of literary fiction after they've tortured themselves with THE NIHILISM

because there really is no reason to live or do anything, ultimately, so we might as well spend it reading books :)

(also to be smug is another reason)
>>
>>7563278
Has math/eng also snuffed all imagination and impulsivity from you?
>>
>>7563289
Not really, I'm just an autist
>>
>>7563289
Only most of it, but I'm light on the math
>>
>>7563271
This is why I'm so afraid of reading fiction.
>>
>>7563142
I studied biochemistry. Been NEET for the last year. I'm kind of a failed STEMfag though (a failure in general), got pretty poor grades -- mid 70s cumulative average, not sure what that is in GPA.

Reading literary fiction and writing has been a lot more fulfilling than my studies desu, senpai. I loved my English classes in highschool, but I got pushed into taking all science courses by my parents. So I was pretty much forced to take a STEM degree in uni.

>tfw you'll never live the literary university life
>dissecting classics
>learning foreign languages
>having casual seminars at coffee shops downtown
>tfw instead you were forced to memorize the kreb cycle in detail only to forget it a week later
>>
>>7563345
Join the navy and learn a trade
>>
>>7563142
I'm a physicist. Some literary fiction is interesting. I like physics more.
>>
>>7563261
It's a better hobby than playing video games
>>
>>7563354
This is good advice, and I appreciate it. Halifax is nice, but I think I'm going to skip the navy... I've already signed up to go to college for a high-demand trade.
>>
Medfag here. I believe that in order to be a good doctor I need a complete education, not only scientific but also humanistic, which means I read the good old classics and philosophy.
>>
Economics.
And yes, it is a science you ungrateful pieces of shit.
>>
>>7563142

Computer Science/Mathematics, though I just skip most of my lectures to hang out at the library and read. It's a bit lonely when you're in a field where nobody reads and very few have any real critical thinking skills.
>>
>>7563431
I really like this idea. Thank you, for an eye-opening answer.
>>
>>7563142

Biochemist here - literally just doing my MBiol for the credibility and job prospects, I intend to leave science behind me after this.

I'd have had far more fun studying Eng Lit or Philosophy but fuck trying to get a job after that.

I don't think reading fiction is a waste of time, I don't want to be 'on' all the time and if I enjoy reading fiction I don't see how that time is wasted.
>>
>>7563431
Did you use that line in your Med School application?
>>
>>7563593
I'm >>7563345

What are you doing after you're done with biochem/mbiol?
>>
>>7563261
Its nice
>>
>>7563374
Not objectively
>>
>>7563431
you sound like some illiterate chink trying to bump his resume up the ladder
>>
>>7563345
>>tfw instead you were forced to memorize the kreb cycle in detail only to forget it a week later
uh
pyruviate
>>
Biochem
I've basically stopped reading anything for pleasure except historical non-fiction
Doubt it has anything to do with what I study though
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
>all these biochemists
>>
File: 1385768729454.jpg (40KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1385768729454.jpg
40KB, 300x400px
>looking for utility in art
>>
>>7563942
What is enjoyment other than utility?
>>
>>7563142
Chemical Engineering and I mostly read fiction. I like fiction's ability to describe the world and the way people interact. When I am frequently reading fiction I feel more articulate and my inner dialogue imitates the author that I am reading.
>>
>>7563962
>art is for enjoyment

Oh man you just keep going don't you
>>
>>7564056
Well, you're still here trying to win a unwinnable fight. What keeps you going?
>>
>>7563817
This right here is what I call jealousy.
>>
i study the highly esteemed science of metaphysics
>>
>>7563817
How do you put that in a resume?
>Graduated of X in Y uni
>Worked in Z as a medic for 4 years
>Read the greeks
>>
>>7565661
What are your hobbies?
> I enjoy reading, particularly the classics and philosophy
Sounds interesting Anon, why did you gravitate towards those genres?
> Well, wen I started, I hoped that by reading I could complement the scientific side of my education with the humanistic side they don't usually teach in the medfag curriculum. Nowadays I just read it for fun (normie laugh)!
>>
>>7565705
>Very interesting, anon, but if you want this job your going to have to suck my cock.
>>
File: Paracelsus.png (466KB, 444x645px) Image search: [Google]
Paracelsus.png
466KB, 444x645px
>fiction vs nonfiction
Plebs
>>
Yes. I'm a third year mathematics student. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy literature. Presumably nobody would.
>>
>>7563142
I'm a medicine graduate.
I appreciate literary fiction, even though in my readings i tend to stray away from it, because i'm in this mindset that what i read must be beneficial to me from studying medicine, but there are lots of literary fiction that are on my reading list including classics, so i don't consider it a waste of time i regard it as an enrichment of one's time, if it were to benefit even in the tiniest measure then that's good too, for example english is my second language and often fiction greatly helps me with vocabulary and grammar for example.
>>
3rd year Electrical engineering student here.
I read literary fiction because even though I love (and autistically indulge in all of them), I recognize that literature is the best one, with unparalleled quality and variety. So I'm working my way through all the classics using lit fiction as my main hobby. I also do read philosophy (Started with the greeks and working my way up) just because I'm kinda curious, I guess.
>>
>>7565857
Love all art forms*
>>
Geology student.

I only read non-fiction. I'm feeling down because I have to study to finals instead of reading.
>>
>>7563807

well memed there :^)
>>
>>7564053
I could have written this exact post.
>>
File: 1410699415822.jpg (31KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1410699415822.jpg
31KB, 292x257px
>>7565661
>mfw I read, "Read the Greeks" in present tense.
>>
>>7563142
Science is the work of slaves

Materialists are not heroes
>>
>>7563142
To vicariously experience situations and extremes that you won't have the opportunity to in your brief enslaved life.

To step into the shoes of another.

Etc.
>>
Naval architecture, reading Moby Dick at the time, it has got to be one of the coziest books I've read.
>>
>>7563142
i'm a medical student, and i haven't read fiction in years. i usually enjoy philosophical and event-based/historical literature the most. i don't think reading of any kind is a waste of time, nevertheless.
>>
ChemE student here. I read casually.

Don't worry, I rarely post.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.