[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the academic meme that only classical music, Renaissance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (127KB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 568x320px
Why does the academic meme that only classical music, Renaissance figurative art, and Greek sculpture are the only authentic forms of art? When will this meme end? Once you understand the formula or gimmick and study art history, it's actually not that amazing, and important mostly because of its place in society at the time.
>>
>>7529811
/lit/ - literature
>>
>>7529811

>>>/his/

Because we'd like more of the best stuff and willing to forgo some of the subtlety unique pieces that were just railing against the best to elevate the contrarian offshoots who couldn't or wouldn't compete along the rules that the more popular competition laid out for them.
>>
>>7529885
>Construction of art is a contractually determined prethought and not a figurative element of the ahistorical method

I hope I become a really good artist one day so I can shit on people like you
>>
>>7529894
And freestyle rappers don't practice before the battle, it's all a beautifully mystical process that deserves praise if the artist simply refuses to say where the inspiration came from outside of that special moment (it actually came from the same place your reply did, the raillery against another, in short social competition)
>>
>>7529904
which was the implied point you fucking spastic.
>>
>>7529934
I'm not the one who still idolises being an angsty artist after denouncing the value of art. Being able to describe a viewpoint doesn't mean you advocate for it. Just accept the whole field as a necessary element of humanity no matter what the form or formulaic situations, you liked art enough to check it out, that's the point.
>>
>Why does the academic meme that only classical music, Renaissance figurative art, and Greek sculpture are the only authentic forms of art?

No one says this. Maybe snobby European schools, but this is not representative of American academia at all.
>>
File: sjRjcWV.png (221KB, 632x425px) Image search: [Google]
sjRjcWV.png
221KB, 632x425px
>>7530001
>Describing a viewpoint doesn't mean you advocate for it

Instantiating figurative conceptual classes in discourse passages which relate to material fields of domination within relationship frames DOESN'T assert the immobility of the repressed subject lmao okay fuck it I hope I die because holy fuck
>>
>>7530001
yeah im new to literature and i just read karamazov and that priest guy really got me it was like when my dad told me about going out onto the skate rink with no blades which some poor kid did and they got their face sliced and they grew up deformed but that was a while back and he killed himself while crying about someone called geist or greist or kryste (I think it's Russian) but yeah it was nice anyways can you recommend me something thanks
>>
>>7530015
Polite society has chewed your brain up, kid. Calmly offer an agreeable alternative or accept your place as servant.
>>
>>7529811
But classical music and greek sculptures are amazing. Not all of them, mind you.
>>
>>7530025
Get some discernible thinking skills first, you sound like you need a strong dose of stoicism just to make it through the day.
>>
>>7530059
>>7530038
Sick
>>
>>7529811
As another anon said, there is no academic meme exalting 'Classicism' at this stage - certainly not in the art world. The entire Classical idea as championed from the Enlightenment onwards was based on a selective misreading of the products of Antiquity that flattered developing modern ideas and notions of Westernness.

Those who tend to loosely revive the argument now are usually reactionary and conservative types who have no grasp of 'modern art' as they call it (we're well past that) identifying it with degeneracy, and uphold a really hackish conception of Classical art, for them usually just meaning anything painted or drawn recognizably. Of course, many things they would denounce as degenerate were rampant in the Classical world.

Otherwise, the 'Classicism' meme is wielded by laypeople who generally, again, feel alienated contemporary arts, and by people in applied arts and geek/fan art (see /ic/) who resent fine arts and tend to have really undercooked ideas about great art as involving muscular heroes and 'epic' cityscapes because this represents strong virtues and accomplishment (as if tubby gamers know anything about that).

If you want to get into the idea of the question of beauty, aesthetics, etc. in fine arts, that's another conversation though that goes far beyond Classicism now.
>>
>>7530127
alienated *by contemporary arts
>>
>>7530127
i liked reading this post. your prose is elegant, efficient. what do you do for a living, anon?
>>
>>7530127
Said the American.
>>
>>7529811
>Why does the academic meme that only classical music, Renaissance figurative art, and Greek sculpture are the only authentic forms of art?
Because they are. Humanity has been declining artistically for the past several hundred years.
>>
>>7530190
>I dont understand the humanities.
Good for you.
>>
>classical music
Do you mean music from the classical era? Because I don't think there are that many people who deride all other periods of music.
Do you mean everything from the western art music tradition? Including modern avant garde?

The term "classical music" is ridiculous in a connect like this. It has no meaning.
>>
>>7530009
Even in Europe it depends a lot on who/where you ask.
>>
File: image.jpg (319KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319KB, 1350x900px
>>7529811
Impressionism is also huge.

Dada is, deservedly, a footnote.

Everything 'modern' after that is totally dead.
>>
>>7531205
It's obvious that it is being used in the sense of medieval to late romantic/neo-romantic classical music.
>>
>>7531498
Medieval Music is profoundly different, with profoundly different objectives and concepts from Romantic Music. Medieval Music was either in Gregorian Chant or sang by Troubadours or Trouvéres.
>>
>>7531504
And? I never said anywhere that they were similar, only that it is obvious that he is referring to classical music as a progression from the middle ages until the dawn of the 20th century (and into it for conservative composers).
>>
>>7529811
>academic meme
Who?
I see this half baked criticism generally from non-academics.
>>
>>7531507
And what the other guy was saying is that the concept of Classical Music in itself doesn't make sense and fails to take into account the diversity and the difference that separates different Musical periods, and the difference between an orchestra and the troubadours is abysmal. In the end, if we consider everything before Romantism Classical Music is means /lit/ is more into a series of different ideas, practices, etc.. than those who focus solely in Popular Culture of the last century (Which is basically what I study and listen to)
>>
>>7531516
He was saying that the term classical music is ridiculous to use in regards to OPs topic of academia loving high art, which is what I disagree with. It sounds like we are talking past each other. I acknowledge that classical music isn't a unified entity but that has no bearing on me clarifying what OP probably meant by using the term. We use the term classical music (not in reference to the era but more generally) because it is a useful term to name a musical dialectic that happened in Europe from the anonymous composers of the middle ages until the serialists.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.