[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the whole >reading for prose thing just a meme?? Have I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Is the whole >reading for prose thing just a meme?? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

Literature is supposed to be art... Isn't one of the biggest factors of art aestheticism? A painting matters, the meaning matters, but it wouldn't be good if it didn't look good? Same goes for music, there is meaning behind a lot of songs but no one would give a fuck if it didn't sound comfy or any good?

Is the joke just going way over my head because I don't get how someone can read lit and not take prose into account??
>>
File: julia.jpg (70KB, 634x523px) Image search: [Google]
julia.jpg
70KB, 634x523px
>reading for the prose
>>
File: 1442968478445.jpg (11KB, 288x297px) Image search: [Google]
1442968478445.jpg
11KB, 288x297px
>reading for prose
>>
aesthetics includes prose, but if you only read for pretty words you are a memey pleb. aesthetics also refers to matters of plot, structure, tone, style, etc.
>>
>>7529609
Reading for prose is like listening to music for the production.
You have to be a pretty colossal faggot to do either.
>>
>>7529726
At the same time it's pivotal to the experience, I doubt anyone can read for one reason alone really, even if they say they do there will be undocumented desires being fulfilled that they would probably wish to remain unexpressed and unanalysed for enjoyments sake.
>>
read for everything. This is the best way.
>>
>>7529609
BNW had terrible prose, but was it a terrible book?

'No'
>>
>>7529855
BNW's problem is characterization, not its prose. Huxley could write. He just wasn't a great novelist.
>>
>>7529609
Memes aside, I think a lot of that depends on what you intend with "prose":
The field of stylistics has some interesting things to say once you train to look for some textual cues. As you say, how things are written is inextricably a part of the literary experience.
"these words are good" however might be a tad too superficial for a reading.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>giving prose any value
>>
>I am, in large measure, the selfsame prose I write… I’ve made myself into the character of a book, a life one reads. Whatever I feel is felt (against my will) so that I can write that I felt it. Whatever I think is promptly put into words, mixed with images that undo it, cast into rhythms that are something else altogether. From so much self-revising, I’ve destroyed myself. From so much self-thinking, I’m now my thoughts and not I. I plumbed myself and dropped the plumb; I spend my life wondering if I’m deep or not, with no remaining plumb except my gaze that shows me – blackly vivid in the mirror at the bottom of the well – my own face that observes me observing it.

-Pessoa
>>
>>7529609
It's just a reaction on the >reading for plot meme, these things work in cycles
>>
>>7529609
>Isn't one of the biggest factors of art aestheticism
maybe if you are a burgoise from the 18th century. still, prose is more than pure superficial value, it has content ofits own. the way something is presented affects the content more than you can imagine. on the other hand, there are only 36 possible things to happen in a story so the plot is a tiny part of the content.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations
>>
>>7529726
>listening to music for the production.
Next you'll tell me people watch movies for the direction.
>>
>>7529855
>>7529860
1984 though. Now that's terrible prose
>>
>>7529609
Yes it's a meme.

Prose is far more important than plot. Most great works of literature have after all rather simple plots. It's their prose which makes them masterpieces.

It's like jokes. The same joke can be told well or it can be told horribly, and the way it is told is what counts.
>>
>>7531009
>26. Crimes of love

> a Lover; the Beloved
> A Lover and the Beloved enter a conflict.

Wow. Very specific.
>>
>>7531140
specific enough. do you want 200 situations where you have 15 variants of crime of love?
>>
>>7529726
Implying you don't have a favorite producer. Come on man. Whether you know it or not there were certain producers out there who built an entire artists sound and made them household names. Don't be so naive.
>>
>>7531140
I love the work structuralists did. Unfortunately, people arent able to see it for what it is and misuse things.
The point of the 36 plots is to identify common patterns. A conflict between lovers is a common pattern. It does not mean that using it, or not using it, is somehow wrong.
>>
>>7531170
The theory also got hurt after Campbell took 12 of them and made them a supposed universal formula that isn't actually present in any myth.
>>
Shakespeare's themes are almost banal. What makes him one of the greatest is his mastery of language.
>>
>>7531114
>found the virgin
>>
>>7531177
hgngngngngngngngng

no
>>
> reading for the iambic pentameter
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.