[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this never mentioned among the other classics? Shit's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 18266.jpg (20KB, 259x400px) Image search: [Google]
18266.jpg
20KB, 259x400px
Why is this never mentioned among the other classics? Shit's pretty hilarious, a lot more entertaining than I thought.
>>
>>7524888
because it's way more patrician than anyone here can handle
>>
Because there are a lot of books in the world, and some are more popular than others.
>>
>>7524888

I think literary critics already hold it in very high regard as an important piece of literature, but I guess it hasn't found its way to most average readers' bookshelves because it's old, weird and french.
>>
>>7524890
What are you talking about? There are people here who have finished Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>7524947
>equating difficulty to patrician

Gargantua and Pantagruel is one of the top 20 most important novels since the fall of the Romans
>>
>>7524951
*but it isn't a meme so people don't actually pay attention to it like Ulysses and DFW
>>
>>7524947
BUT THIS IS OVER 1100 PAGES, GR IS ONLY LIKE 800, THIS IS WAY MORE DIFFICULT
>>
>>7524888
It is a major work of the 16th century; it is considered a classic; and it is hilarious indeed.
I find its reputation here to be pretty close to Tristram's: vaguely cited as important and funny, actually never discussed.
btw, it's read in highschool in France, although not the old french version but an adapted/translated one.
>>
>>7525055
It's sad that it and Tristram are so rarely read
>>
Which French edition to read?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (544KB, 1574x1947px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
544KB, 1574x1947px
>>7525782
oh the one on lib gen, les éditions des londres, has a contemporary adaptation and the original so i'll guess i'll go for that one
>>
>>7524888
I keep namedropping Rabelais whenever feasible. Just never thought to leverage the "classic" label to get you fucks to read it. "It's got poop jokes every page AND is a classic!", yeah, that would work. I'll keep it in mind.

>>7525055
>btw, it's read in highschool in France, although not the old french version but an adapted/translated one.
I read the old (middle actually) french version back then. Not sure whether it was the one specified, though.

>>7525782
Pick an annotated original edition if you're a native speaker. I like those formats that lay the text on the right page and keep the whole left for annotations, Poche classics do that IIRC, they're very helpful -- even if you have no trouble understanding the language, which isn't far removed from modern French, some of the references are very valuable and key to getting the point of the text besides all the jesting.
>>
File: 8QmIp.gif (498KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
8QmIp.gif
498KB, 262x200px
>be junior in university
>finish 200-level intermediate french courses
>want to continue french by taking a 300-level literature class
>only offering that semester is "16th century humanist texts"
>start with a text called "L'Hemptameron" and I'm already struggling
>my french is barely good enough to read most conversational sentences, let alone renaissance lit
>gargantua et pantagruel is next
>edition we were assigned retained the spelling of 16th century france
>have to look up every third word and most of them aren't in the dictionaries because of the antiquated spelling
>it's like paradise lost spelling but in french
>fuck
>stumble through a few chapters barely understanding anything
>read a few chapters in translation
>finally get to the chapter about "torcheculs"
>describes all the things gargantua uses as a "torchecul"
>wait doesn't "cul" mean "ass"
>go to dictionary
>torchecul=asswipe
>mfw i realize rabelais is describing a giant wipe his shit on birds
>>
>>7525872
It takes a very learned student of philosophy to determine that goose necks are the best ass wipes.
>>
>>7525872
>>
>>7524888
Because /lit/ doesnt mention the Renaissance classics much anymore. But it's a great read.
>>
File: 1441222090443.jpg (22KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
1441222090443.jpg
22KB, 404x404px
>>7525872
reddit.jpg
>you know you're not wanted here
>>
Sadly the Decameron is another under read work today. But one day people will revive these classics. (one can have hope)
>>
>>7526327
Decameron is great, really interesting to read something from the 1200s that's just dirty sex jokes.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.