[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /lit/ So, I have started reading pic related but i find it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (6KB, 103x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 103x160px
Ok /lit/

So, I have started reading pic related but i find it hard to heard.... Not actually hard to understand or grasp but when i started reading Orwell i just didn't want to put the book down. But this book... i can barely force myself to read 20 pages a day. Why is this?
>>
What translation?
>>
>>7523861
english.
>>
File: bruce.gif (451KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
bruce.gif
451KB, 211x211px
>>7523863
>>
First off, I'd get the P&V

Secondly,once you get to the actual build up to the murders, trust me, it gets very, very, very good. Dostoevsky's time in prison gave him such an incredibly detailed view of a murderer's psychology that even an actual murderer could not have done as good of a job writing it.
>>
>>7523870
he was in fucking prison?
>>
>>7523858
Orwell is a native english speaker who also happens to hate flowery language in works of a political nature.

The best advice I can give, as it was really hard for me to get into it at first, was to listen to an audio recording to get a good idea of name pronunciation and flow. Obviously make sure the translation is good also (I didn't bother looking up the best, so I can't recommend any.)
>>
>>7523867
translation by Sidney Monas
>>
>>7523858
I read some spanish translation and it flowed well, but anyway, I found the story interesting and emotional (maybe because it hit close to home sometimes). Maybe you're just not on the mood for it, better not force yourself, just give it a break and read something else.
>>
>>7523858

Hi OP. It's because you are bored and you find the book boring. I recently read 600 page and 700 page books that were very compelling, so it's not because you're reading a large or ambitious book.

Also Nabokov, a guy who knew multiple languages better than anyone on /lit/ knows English, said that Dostoevsky's writing in Russian was shit, so it's not because you're reading a translation.

The reality is that literature is now seen by /lit/, and many "serious" writers as having zero need to be entertaining. /lit/ will talk about the half assed and almost completely hidden philosophical or psychological themes in crime and punishment as if they're as clearly and vigorously presented as philosophy or psychology research papers. Not that /lit/ or most authors ever do discuss, or have the required expertise to discuss, or desire to learn how to discuss, papers of these types. I don't expect rigorous philosophical discussion from novels, but if you abandon all entertainment and have trillions of slavish fans, I do expect something.

/lit/ will also make appeals to reading to learn about the "human condition", as if leaving the house couldn't give you a million times better education about this.
>>
Keep reading. The beginning's a bit slow.
>>
>>7524000
Nabakov hated Dostoevsky because all his writing is about Christianity. Nabakov also holds Tolstoy's Christian work in low esteem, even though he really likes Tolstoy's other work.

Nabakov was a very shallow person and a very shallow writer. He not only could not discern any value other than cosmetics, he was actively repulsed by morality.
>>
>>7523858
Russian is very different from english
>>
>>7523876
He was almost executed until he got a last-second pardon from the Tsar.

It wasn't actually last-second though IIRC, it was planned to seem last-second to him and his buddies.
>>
>>7523870
Nah fuck that noise. Get Garnett.
>>
>>7524923
On the one hand, Garnett is a very fine writer, but on the other, she is very bad at giving the characters different voices.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.