[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book should I give my dad this Christmas? cliffs. 1. He

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: img-thing.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
What book should I give my dad this Christmas?

cliffs.

1. He is a 52 year old Lacanian psychoanalyst
2. He also studied philosophy, his main topics of expertise are Foucault, Freud and Lacan
3. His favorite books are The War of the End of the World by Vargas Llosa, 100 years of solitude, and War and Peace
4. He is also a sci-fi nerd, loves star trek but doesnt like star wars. His favorite books are Childhood's end and Songs of Distant Earth.

I really don't know what on earth I can give him. He's read shittons and shittons of books, I showed him every "/lit/ essential pack" I could find and he had already read like 90% of those books (also he got mad because every list was too anglo-oriented).

I was thinking maybe he doesn't know about, like Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest. What do you think?
>>
>>7491817
>He is also a sci-fi nerd
Dune.
>>
a legacy of totalitarianism in a tundra
>>
>>7491817
has he read house of leaves?
>>
Get him The Story of My Teeth. It just came out, so he probably hasn't read it yet. Or get him Women and Men by Joseph McElroy
>>
>>7491817
The Martian.
>>
>>7491842

Well we watched the movie and but of us thought it was pretty meh, Im sure the book is way better right?
>>
>>7491847
That's a meme. Don't.

It sounds like your dad has good taste. Don't.
>>
>>7491817
how about Zeno's Conscience? or maybe Memoirs of my Nervous Illness?
>>
Fashionable nonsense
>>
What does he think of Zizek?
>>
>>7491839
how do you ever get ahold of this book?
>>
>>7491888
women and men, that is
>>
as well as zeno's conscience or memoirs of my nervous illness, the anatomy of melancholy might be interesting for him. look into those books, one of them really might do the trick.
>>
>>7491886

He likes him and took a couple classes with him before he became famous.
>>
>>7491878

He's already read the memoirs, but I'll check the first one, thanks.
>>
>taken at random from anatomy of melancholy

SUBSECT. I.—Perturbations of the mind rectified. From himself, by resisting to the utmost, confessing his grief to a friend, &c.

Whosoever he is that shall hope to cure this malady in himself or any other, must first rectify these passions and perturbations of the mind: the chiefest cure consists in them. A quiet mind is that voluptas, or summum bonum of Epicurus, non dolere, curis vacare, animo tranquillo esse, not to grieve, but to want cares, and have a quiet soul, is the only pleasure of the world, as Seneca truly recites his opinion, not that of eating and drinking, which injurious Aristotle maliciously puts upon him, and for which he is still mistaken, male audit et vapulat, slandered without a cause, and lashed by all posterity. [3400]"Fear and sorrow, therefore, are especially to be avoided, and the mind to be mitigated with mirth, constancy, good hope; vain terror, bad objects are to be removed, and all such persons in whose companies they be not well pleased." Gualter Bruel. Fernelius, consil. 43. Mercurialis, consil. 6. Piso, Jacchinus, cap. 15. in 9. Rhasis, Capivaccius, Hildesheim, &c., all inculcate this as an especial means of their cure, that their [3401]"minds be quietly pacified, vain conceits diverted, if it be possible, with terrors, cares," [3402] "fixed studies, cogitations, and whatsoever it is that shall any way molest or trouble the soul," because that otherwise there is no good to be done.

(how in the fuck would a philosophy and psychology buff not be interested in this?)
>>
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
>>
>>7491904

wtf is this
>>
>>7491914
In the works of Fellini, a predominant concept is the concept of neotextual
consciousness. Therefore, if dialectic postcapitalist theory holds, we have to
choose between dialectic objectivism and the precapitalist paradigm of context.
Bataille promotes the use of postsemiotic capitalism to attack the status quo.
>>
>>7491908
This.
>>
Is your dad zizek?
>>
>>7491850
>Lacan
>good taste
>>
>>7493737

Admittedly, Lacan wrote like shit on purpose.

Also bump.
>>
>>7494450

Bump 2
>>
Bump 3
>>
>>7491817
get that fuckin nerd a fuckin playboy. nigga's prob a 52 year old virgin
>>
Musil or gombrowic, perhaps??
>>
>>7491817
Has he read Borges?
>>
>>7495868

All of it

So I've come down to the following options.. what do you think?

Sons and Lovers - DH Lawrence
The Master and Margarita - Milita Bulgakov
Gravitys Raimbow
On the Road - Kerouac
Dead Souls - Gogol
Infinite Jest - DFW
>>
>>7495879

Rainbow*
>>
>>7491817
>Lacan psychoanalyst
>Sci-fi nerd
>Doesn't like anglo literature
Kill him
>>
>>7495879
None of those are great choices. Try >>7491908.
>>
>>7495879
If he likes Lawrence and short stories then I recommend The Prussian Officer.
>>
>>7495901

He didn't say he liked anglo literature... (in fact he had read most books from the chart), he only called /lit/ plebs cuz they didn't know anything else.
>>
>>7491817
fucking anatomy of melancholy. it's pretty fucking clear that that's the best choice here. philosophy and psychology. literally the best possible option. go find your own shit for him if that's not good enough for you.
>>
>>7495924

he didn't like*
>>
Since your life seems to be a meme I would recommend Taipei by Tao Lin.
>>
>>7495970

Would you seriously buy a physics book to someone who has a phD in physics?
>>
>>7496196
>physics is the same as psychology
>physics is the same as philosophy
kill yourself.
>>
>>7491817
psychology, sci-fi..

Alastair Reynolds - Chasm city
from wiki: " It deals with themes of identity, memory, and immortality, and many of its scenes are concerned primarily with describing the unusual societal and physical structure of the titular city.."
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>7495879
Infinite Jest was heavily influenced by Lacanian philosophy. I read an essay on it once but I can't remember anything significant from it.
>>
Barney's Version - Mordecai Richler
>>
Don't get him a book OP, get him a bottle of whiskey.

He must need it after consuming all that bullshit you listed.
>>
id probably tell people my dad was in jail or a construction worker if he was a psychoanalyst
>>
My dad likes history so I got him Wolf Hall
>>
I think the Cyberiad by Lem would be a nice present, it's Sci Fi with a good amount of intelligence while remaining light.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.