[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is lit's view of the philosophical pessimist author

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Emil_Cioran.jpg (83KB, 626x800px) Image search: [Google]
Emil_Cioran.jpg
83KB, 626x800px
What is lit's view of the philosophical pessimist author Emil Cioran?
I've been getting into On the Heights of Despair- great book so far.
>>
Would love a tl;dr on him
>>
>>7429089
Worst thing that could happen to us was being born.
>>
>>7429089
>It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late
>To be or to be not? Neither
>>
>>7429089
All waters have the color of drowning.
>>
>>7428953
loved him in eraserhead
>>
>>7429158
kek
>>
test
>>
>>7429158
lol

>>7429134
>>7429143
>>7429149
Doesn't sound too profound, honestly.
>>
>>7429173
I think he's funny.
>>
>>7429158
>>7429168
>>7429171
>>7429173
>>7429188

Stop this shitposting. If you have nothing to contribute, go to /b/ and shitpost there.
>>
>>7429143
>It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late

this thought is impressively banal
>>
>>7429215
(with a silly voice) Stop this shitposting. If you have nothing to contribute, go to /b/ and shitpost there.
>>
>>7429173
OP asked for a tldr of course it doesn't sound profound.

OP cioran is really deep, he was very much respected by most writers of the last century, he's a writers writer. His axioms can sound banal or repetitive, but he's very original and profound if you actually take time to read him. Don't gorge, read slowly.
>>
Any idea where to get an affordable copy of "The transfiguration of Romania"?
>>
>>7429290
Extremely hard to find unfortunately
>>
>>7429298
Too bad, it's the only one that's not included in his collected works edition.
>>
>>7428953
I'm sort of a depressive and find his writing to be a kind of solemn droll... It's bleakness is all encompassing and yet there's this unspoken amusement at the core of the probing and dissection. Comedians can get away with talking about dark, depressing realities publicly because there's an amusing recovery, an outburst of recognition of the absurd... I think Cioran does something similar but his tongue isn't quite in his cheek, he doesn't offer a glimpse, have a laugh and then return; he gives in fully to the gravity of pessimism, descending from every direction to the same core. But when I get there, before turning and laughing back to the surface, there's a pause and a slow sigh of the soul, and the familiarity of it gradually becomes comforting
>>
>>7429234
>OP cioran is really deep

No he's not.

I think his main problem is that his philosophy consists of aphorisms. It's like he avoids any kind of reasoning or logical thinking, so he can just drop a few punchlines, conclusions of unfinished ideas.

He's shit and his philosophy is the biggest excuse of all time.
>>
>>7429221
I don't get it. Am i an Optimist?
>>
I'm reading a book of his on and off, he's drily fun and an incredible word-weaver, don't agree with him mostly but that's no reason to not read his shit.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.