[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ where and how do I start with Lovecraft's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: fz63c.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
fz63c.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Hey /lit/ where and how do I start with Lovecraft's work? Help please.
>>
>>7423537
start with the greeks
>>
>>7423537
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7423537
Dagon is a pretty good place to start. If you want to go right to the meat, no veggies, no fruit, read either Herbert West--Reanimator, The Colour out of Space (my favorite), or At the Mountains of Madness.
>>
>>7423537
It doesn't really matter, but I think some of the better/most indicative works are
At the Mountains of Madness for 'cosmic horror'
Pickman's Model for more grounded horror
The Cats of Ulthar as an easy introduction to the Dreamlands
>>
>>7423537
get him to the greek
>>
>>7423543
>>7423544
>>7423561
memery aside, if you want to explore the roots of Lovecraft I think it's an absolute must to read The Gods of Pegana/Time and the Gods by Lord Dunsany
>>
>>7423537
start by doing yoga for a couple of years, then learn how to make sushi. Apprentice under a sushi master for 10 years.
Read everything by Aliester Crowley. Become a witch for a few year.
Find a book that has a cool cover, stop being such a validation seeking little creep and start reading.
>>
>>7423592
Stop being an autismo.
>>7423537
Start with Dagon
>>
>>7423537
Dunwich Horror
>>
>>7423543
>>7423544
>>7423561
Lovecraft's universe is heavily inspired in classical mythology, so this.
>>
>>7423537
First one that really hit home for me was The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Good stuff.
>>
I'd say the greeks are a pretty good way to get introduced to Lovecraft's works.
>>
>>7423537
The Temple is a good one to start with
>>
Just read Call of Cthulhu like everyone else. Then go through them especially these
>>7423550
>>7423559
(Great tips lads)
Till you've finished everything he wrote.
The Silver Key trilogy and the Thing on the Doorstep are my personal favourites, but everyone has to jump into the mythos with CoC, it's tradition.
>>
Follow the order of the old Arkham House books.
>>
Start with The Rats in the Walls, and The Colour out of Space. Avoid anything Cthulhu. If you like those, try reading The Dunwich Horror, The Shunned House, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Thing on the Doorstep, or The Haunter in the Dark, or jump right into At the Mountains of Madness, which is much longer but his best work.

Many (all?) of these have excellent audiobook versions by Wayne June, easily searchable on Youtube or any torrent site. Check out June on Youtube for a sec to see if you like his style. Personally I think he's an incredible Lovecraftian protagonist narrator - there's a reason he was asked to voice the narrator in Darkest Dungeon. But also keep in mind that if your vocabulary sucks, listening to an audiobook of Lovecraft might leave you scratching your head a bit.

I say to avoid Cthulhu because it's kind of bizarrely (no pun intended) seen as the focus of Lovecraft's work when it's actually one of the weakest stories and pretty minor. You should go for his real beefy cosmic horror stuff and see if you like that. It's the feeling of "we're fucking with something we shouldn't be fucking with here, aren't we?" that he's great and important for, not monster of the week shit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.