[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's his best work? I just finished reading "The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
What's his best work? I just finished reading "The Colour out of Space".
>>
>>7415682
My favorite was the one with the computer brain. Don't remember the name.
>>
File: 1425183148181.jpg (31KB, 334x299px) Image search: [Google]
1425183148181.jpg
31KB, 334x299px
THE DREAM QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH
H
E

D
R
E
A
M

Q
U
E
S
T

O
F

U
N
K
N
O
W
N

K
A
D
A
T
H

BEYOND THE GATES OF THE SILVER KEY
E
Y
O
N
D

T
H
E

G
A
T
E
S

O
F

T
H
E

S
I
L
V
E
R

K
E
Y
>>
>>7415744
Me on the left
>>
The Music of Erich Zann, desu.
>>
The Dunwich Horror
>>
I like Dreams in the Witch House and Shadow over Innsmouth.

Cthlhu is massively overrated, and Mountains of Madness is just a Silmarillion-like exercise in world building
>>
>>7415796
Good choice, family.
>>
Of Lovecraft's five longer works, At the Mountains of Madness, The Whisperer in Darkness, and The Shadow out of Time all suffer from his characteristic flaw of overexplaining at the end and turning great horror into mediocre science fiction. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath is visionary in some parts but hideously precious in others, e.g. the war between the cats and the zugs. That leaves The Case of Charles Dexter Ward as the longest perfect example of Lovecraft's art and his highest achievement, to me.

The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Call of Cthulhu are probably his best short stories.
>>
At the mountains of madness teebeeaych familial salutation
>>
>>7415748
ftw
>>
His stories work best as little chunks consumed in succession.
Look, it's Lovecraft, it's fun to read, don't stress out and overthink it.
Get a paperback anthology and just overload on his fucking adjectives.

The Lurking Fear
The Dweller in the Darkness
The Thing on the Doorstep
Cool Air
The Doom That Came to Sarnath
Horror at Red Hook
Dr Herbert West, Reanimator
those are all good short stories

Long form
Shadow Over Innsmouth is a good story to start with.

Just read 'em, bro.
Do you like adjectives?
>>
>>7416325
>Do you like adjectives?
Only ones that I know the meaning of.
>>
Why does everyone say The Color out of Space is so scary? The only scary part is the wife in the attic going insane
>>
>>7415744
Is Lovecraft far left or second from left?
>>
>>7417237
Far left
>>
>>7415682
The Unnamed City is by far his best story. That and Shadow Over Innsmouth.
>>
>>7415709
Whisper in darnkess?
>>
>>7417237
Far left obviously you plebian
>>
>>7417242
Sorry... The Nameless* City.
>>
You are reading his best work.
>>
>>7417249
S-so it's all down hill from there?
>>
>>7417238
Thanks

>>7417246
Thought it might be his dad or a relative
>>
>>7417246
It's all downhill from your first instance of reflexive self-awareness. Literature is just a passing distraction on your descent towards the grave that consumes us all.
>>
>>7417246
>plebian
>>
>>7417255
>>
>>
>>7417252
No problem
>>
>reading this racist bigots works
>>
>>7415682
I really like Rats in the Walls. Creeped the hell out of me. Reminds me of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
>>
>>7417323
Is it scarier than The Colour out of Space? I didn't think it was that scary
>>
>>7416126
>The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

most boring thing he ever wrote desu senpai
>>
who here read The Mound? i really liked it
>>
Lovecraft’s works are ominous and unsettling much more frequently than they’re scary in the way that a good horror movie is. Readers going to Lovecraft for scares in the strict sense are likely to become disappointed and wonder what the fuss is about.
>>
I like The Mound too. It occupies an ambiguous position in Lovecraft’s canon, since its starting point was an idea of Zealia Bishop’s which Lovecraft worked up as her paid ghostwriter, but all of the prose and most of the ideas appear to be Lovecraft’s.
>>
>>7417548
>>7417613
>Native American shit

Nah
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.