[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone read Church Not Made With Hands by DFW? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Has anyone read Church Not Made With Hands by DFW? It's from BIWHM, and it's perhaps the most compelling story in the collection, imo, which can be found via torrent if you're so inclined to join this dicussion and haven't read it (it's very short).

It seems to be about redemption and faith wrapped up in a dense, poetic language and there's a lot of elements of linguistic deconstruction taking place, I'm wondering what critical lens would be best to view this with- something along the lines of Derrida or Heideggar?
>>
just read it senpai
>>
>still have trouble reading the interviews themselves
what's the point
>>
>>7415507
I've read it about 10 times now. Very slowly. It's quite dense but I find new rewards each time I visit it.

>>7415531
>>still have trouble reading the interviews themselves
How so anon, maybe I can help? I've read em all and studied quite thoroughly
>>
>>7415531
How? The Interviews themselves are pretty easy to digest.

Unless you just really hate DFW's style, which is understandable.
>>
>>7415689
>Unless you just really hate DFW's style, which is understandable.
this, i love the guy and his interviews but his prose is fucking garbage.
>>
have you ever read a review that so wholly misses the point of a book family?
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/01/books/books-of-the-times-calling-them-misogynists-would-be-too-kind.html
>>
>>7415752
I wonder if this is Michiko Kakutani
It is
>>
File: ASFSDDDDSDSDSD.png (88KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
ASFSDDDDSDSDSD.png
88KB, 500x422px
>>7415752
>talking shit about forever overhead

10/10 IM MAD AS HELL
>>
>>7415752
>It is unclear just what point Mr. Wallace wants to make with these boring, repetitious and frequently repellent profiles, aside from the obvious one of examining the ways in which men can take advantage of women
>let me just point out the obvious and claim that's it
Has this reveiwer taken English 100? It reads like a 9th grade analysis, doing book reviews for NYT no less. Nepotism or something?

One thing I'm wondering specifically abt the story is the name of "Day" the main character.
Is it a metonym for David? Is there any relation? Are we just supposed to think in broad strokes with a character that sound like "archetypal human/day-night cycle of the planet"

Also, would rank the oeuvre
>Oblivion
>Brief Interviews
>Broom
>Pale King
>IJ
>consider the lobster
>everything and more
>girl with curious hair
>kenyon commencement speech packaged and marketed for profit after his death even tho he never put it to writing
>Oblivion
>>
Story right here (halfway down page)

http://mreadz.com/new/index.php?id=367714&pages=36
>>
>>7416162
bump
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.