[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Borges learned German by reading Heine's Buch der Lieder,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

Borges learned German by reading Heine's Buch der Lieder, do you think this is a good tactic to emulate?
>>
Not really. At least also complete a basic grammar textbook and find some way to train your spoken comprehension. Reading is a good source of vocabulary though (add the new words to an Anki deck).
>>
Leider, nein.
>>
>>7415063

No. Enroll in a Sprachkurs with an absolute minimum of 2 hours a day 5 days a week. Then in the evenings work through a grammar book.
>>
A better /lit/ tactic is to memorize a not too dense book you love in your home language and then trying to read a translation of it in whatever language you're learning.

It's a 10/10 language learning boost while also having patrician status of memorizing a book.
>>
>>7415341
How the fuck am I supposed to memorize a book you dweeb?
>>
>>7415063
Yes. But as a supplement, of course.

Borges also claimed to have learned Italian from reading Dante (not a huge leap from Spanish to Italian but this is a guy who says he read Cervantes in English first). He was an autistic permavirgin and went blind reading.

I have dual language Spanish/French and Italian/French editions of Borges and Dante. Just reading each page side by side I find helps. But they are very similar languages.

I'd say get one of these editions for German/English and plug away at some Rilke but the essential is really just being dedicated. I'm sure Borges was.
>>
>>7415384
Truly there are no men left in this modern world.
>>
>>7415861
>He was an autistic permavirgin

I'm a perfect fit!
>>
>>7415384
KUFFAR
>>
Get a grammar book seems to be a coded response here.
Sure, but which one?
>>
>>7415923
>grammar book seems to be a coded response here

Yes, I wonder why people would recommend taking a look at a grammar book when learning a foreign language?
>>
>>7415923
Hammer's German Grammar and Usage.
>>
>>7415063
>do you think this is a good tactic to emulate?
That's pretty much how I learned English.
The obvious problem with this is that you'll have no knowledge of grammar, thus the construction of the sentences must be known by heart. Sometimes this doesn't work, and I often commit mistake of this kind, e.g: did/does + verb conjugated, instead of using the infinitive.

It's is not a bad tactic, but I don't think it can be emulated if you have no knowledge of the language whatsoever. Get a basic grasp of it (A1 at least), and then start reading books in German.
>>
>>7415947
I wasn't criticizing the advice. I might be saying I never see any conversation regarding particular books, no discourse about the methods they use or to the extent of which they are effective.

Yes, you can do your own research, but it is nice to supplement your own findings with someone who has first hand experience using the book.
>>
>>7415063
Okay, you should say which languages do you already speak.
I woulnd´t recommend Heine, rather something easier, like translated poems, by edgar allan poe. this will be more fun, since you get fast achievments.
>>
>>7415384
people memorize the bible and the quran every single day.
almost everyone (ie every literate person) in the western christian world used to have the bible memorized.
>>
>>7415861
convinced me to get a dual language rilke
>>
>>7416305
I can recommend the Practice Makes Perfect series published by McGraw-Hill, and Assimil. Assimil is supposed to come with audio, but I suggest downloading it illegally because it's expensive as fuck. It does help a lot, though.
>>
>>7416921
Quoted the wrong post. Meant for >>7415923 / >>7416006

By the way, the books I mentioned above publish in several languages but I only have experience with their French ones.
>>
>>7416309
The whole bible?
>>
>>7417835
just the steamy bits
>>
File: IMG_20151203_123630.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151203_123630.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>7415063
Hey OP, get this. It's incredibly helpful. Couple it with Duolingo or something like it to build up your vocabulary.
>>
>>7415063

Borges also spent time in Switzerland.
Also, Borges was Borges.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.