[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does contemporary avant-garde literature look like? People

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 17

File: image.jpg (20KB, 394x317px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 394x317px
What does contemporary avant-garde literature look like? People talk about post-modernism or 'post-post-modernism' (if they're trying to be '2deep4u') like it's some underground intellectual movement.. But as far as I can tell, anyone under the age of 25 has literally been completely saturated in a post-modern society since birth.

Music and art thrive creatively when put to the task of exploring the avant garde. Why should literature be any different? What are some examples of contemporary lit that completely goes against the grain?
>>
Collected Tweets by Tao Lin
>>
>>7411289
my diary to be honest
>>
>>7411289
I think you're spot on OP. born in 1990 here. I was the last of my friends to get a cell phone. That was freshman year. I still only have vague memories of life when all you knew was what your parents knew and you could win arguments by making shit up.
>>
File: 1444981912742.png (1MB, 1350x2025px) Image search: [Google]
1444981912742.png
1MB, 1350x2025px
>>7411289
>>
>>7411289
Nice ride pic. I just wanted to say that
>>
>>7411294
Relevant
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 310x474px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 310x474px
>>7411320
Literally autistic/10 (still pretty avant-garde by definition tho)

We should start a post-autism movement -- oh wait, we already did (pic related)
>>
>>7411289

Post modernism is just absurdism and self awareness. That's it. There's no real vanguard in literature, these are old concepts.
>>
>>7411313
>tfw parents still fact check you with hard copy encyclopedia and the library if necessary
i don't know if wikipedia would be a better feel
>>
Who is the MC Ride of literature?
>>
>>7411289
Avante Garde doesnt exist at the moment.
>>
>>7411413
This.
>>
>>7411289
>anyone under the age of 25 has literally been completely saturated in a post-modern society since birth

Post-modernism is pretty dead desu. Just look at all the 'rare pepe' shit, that's basically the definition of metamodernism. And if you talk to any teenager today they're way too sincere to be considered anything close to postmodern.
>>
>>7411413
I'm inclined to agree, if you're merely talking about literature.

I'm part of a very active avant garde community in Melbourne Australia, which is seeing rapid growth in all directions in regards to forward thinking music, fashion, film and various forms of art. Literature, however, lies dormant. Many of the people within the community read regularly (mostly lit-core, which always makes me wonder whether any of them browse lit -- but like, what am I going to do, ask people if spend all day posting on a notorious Chinese image board? Fuck that, I'll be ostracised) but in regards to actually writing revolutionary stuff, I see nothing.

Maybe literature is too slow. Most of the stuff happening in the circles I'm in has to do with sensory overload in some way or a other, which understandably does not translate to written forms all too well. I don't know. Maybe there are circles, but it's defiantly not something I've come across.
>>
isnt GR and the lot avant garde? on this board discussion about post modern books is oversaturated but compared to run of the mill detective novels and books about sport icons were really out there
>>
>>7411607
Twilight is best pony. Rarity is second best though.

And DFW didn't invent New Sincerity. He was the first to express it in the form of a literary movement.
>>
>>7411289
Fucking rabid revolutionary. What's avant garde these days? Contempt. Seriously.

Go to Best of Outrage Culture on reddit. That shit's hilarious. It's deathly serious, too. Invoking Orwell and Maoist comparisons to the slightest incursion of progress on an entirely self-absorbed worldview... it's a fury with *zero context* and it's *fucking delicious*.
>>
>>7411289
I think we're going to see a shift toward après garde lit
>>
Has there ever been a neo-classicist movement in literature?

Also, I just got a "type the numbers" captcha. Are they back? That would be fantastic.
>>
>>7411289
This is it what good contemporary avant-garde looks like “Intercourse with resuscitated wife for particular number of days, superstitious act designed to insure safe operation of household machinery. Electricity mourns the absence of the energy from (wife) within the household’s walls by stalling its flow to the outlets. As such, an improvised friction need to take the place of electricity, to goad the natural currents back to their proper levels. This is achieved with the dead wife. She must be found, revived, and then penetrated until heat fills the room, until the toaster is shooting bread onto the floor, until she is smiling beneath you with black teeth and grabbing your bottom. Then the vacuum rides by and no one is pushing it, it is on full steam. Days flip past in chunks of fake light, and the intercourse is placed in the back of the mind. But it is always there, that moving into a static-ridden corpse that once spoke familiar messages in the morning when the sun was new.”
>>
File: 1444171356590.jpg (187KB, 771x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1444171356590.jpg
187KB, 771x1280px
>>7411289
i'm way too busy reading older books to give a fuck about contemporary works
>>
File: gaz-1997a.jpg (103KB, 601x700px) Image search: [Google]
gaz-1997a.jpg
103KB, 601x700px
>>7412663
leaving the sea should be on everyone's to-read list, beautifully transitions from mild surrealism to heady experimental pieces.
>>
>>7412675
This and its a shame because it is why current lit is in an appalling state ;\
>>
File: 3 hypostases.jpg (145KB, 638x491px) Image search: [Google]
3 hypostases.jpg
145KB, 638x491px
>>7411289
>contemporary avant-garde literature

Notions of Proximity
>>
>>7411497
Metamodernism and this sincerity crap are a continuation of post-modernism.
>>
File: more you look.jpg (96KB, 906x318px) Image search: [Google]
more you look.jpg
96KB, 906x318px
>>7413161

"New sincerity" has also sometimes been used to refer to a philosophical concept...

also seen as one of the key characteristics of metamodernism

In 2007 metamodernism was described as partly a concurrence with, partly an emergence from, and partly a reaction to, postmodernism, "champion[ing] the idea that only in their interconnection and continuous revision lie the possibility of grasping the nature of contemporary cultural and literary phenomena"

>In 2010, cultural theorists Timotheus Vermeulen and Robin van den Akker...

>In their essay Notes on Metamodernism...

The prefix "meta-" here referred not to a reflective stance or repeated rumination, but to Plato's metaxy, which denotes a movement between opposite poles as well as beyond them. Vermeulen and van den Akker described metamodernism as a "structure of feeling" that oscillates between modernism and postmodernism

According to them, the metamodern sensibility "can be conceived of as a kind of informed naivety, a pragmatic idealism", characteristic of cultural responses to...

the digital revolution. They asserted that “the postmodern culture of relativism, irony, and pastiche" is over, having been replaced by a post-ideological condition that stresses engagement, affect, and storytelling
>>
File: book.jpg (21KB, 331x225px) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
21KB, 331x225px
>>7413158

>Notions of Proximity

...Can I be close to you...

>Seed Germination

Bloom
https://youtu.be/8inJtTG_DuU
>>
File: loveandhappiness.jpg (96KB, 370x123px) Image search: [Google]
loveandhappiness.jpg
96KB, 370x123px
>>7413210

>storytelling

>>7413217

Twine... ...can help you weave a good thread...
>>
File: Sweeter than fiction.jpg (912KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sweeter than fiction.jpg
912KB, 1000x1000px
>>7413210

>storytelling

What's your story ?

>>7413158
>>
File: thread.jpg (54KB, 505x316px) Image search: [Google]
thread.jpg
54KB, 505x316px
>>7413222

>loveandhappiness

>good thread

What picture/s/ do your threads paint?
>>
>>7411320
outsider art =/= avant garde
>>
>>7411571
How do I join your avant garde community bruv
>>
>>7413222
tfw we don't live in nice happy complete bipartite graphs
>>
>>7411571
what fucking avant garde community in Melbourne? You mean bullshit improv noise and lesbian performance art or the parade of queerhipsterprotohippies coated in pop culture sauce? Yes supreme culture there.
>>
File: Andikra.png (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Andikra.png
10KB, 256x256px
>>7413337

Surprisingly a type of “irrationality” seems present as the
fundamental enabling element that permits scientific knowledge to expand - Science, Irrationality, & Innovation
S. James Gates, Jr.

>supersymmetric representation
>Adinkra symbols
>>
File: Mystai.jpg (45KB, 382x282px) Image search: [Google]
Mystai.jpg
45KB, 382x282px
>>7413222

Trips of Love
>>
>>7411289
>avant-garde
What is this, the 20th century?
>>
>>7413379
nice quote m8

does being a part of a avant-garde literature confer puss, or is it mostly for the lads and quality bantz?
>>
House of Leaves.
>>
File: 1447597213246s.jpg (3KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1447597213246s.jpg
3KB, 125x83px
>>7411377
>>7412777
>>7413222

dubs threads represent the culmination of the current avant-garde
>>
>>7411289
I've written some stuff in which words float in a grid and line up in different areas forming different sentences while still holding to a story. Stuff like that is what I would like to see out of literature, more creative use typography, however, I don't see myself as good enough in plain writing for my experiments to hold any weight. Also even if someone great did write avant lit, no one would take him seriously.
>>
>>7413483
>I reinvented concreteism.
>What is this "the 1960s" which you speak of?
>>
>>7413483
I didn't intend to say I was pioneering, merely that I was working with less used methods. Honestly I would like to see a return to the 60's mores.
>>
>>7411601
'Avant-garde' is determined by its relation to art/high-brow culture, not the average or whatever.
>>
>>7412675
fucking hell. why can't they just leave this guy alone. I hate how people made this guy a meme.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 495x297px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 495x297px
>>7413573
It is sad, but becoming a meme is always inevitable when a single person is celebrated, hated, idolised, or even merely talked about so frequently within any sort of niche group.
>>
>>7413573
>>7413619
Who is he?
>>
>>7413619
>It is sad
Not to mention banal.
>>
>>7413620
MC Ride, lead vocalist of Death Grips(/mu/ meme shit ;^) )
>>
File: #.jpg (75KB, 600x825px) Image search: [Google]
#.jpg
75KB, 600x825px
Computer-generated poetry is the new avant-garde.

It's pretty gimmick-y at this stage but it might develop into something real. Who knows?
>>
>>7412526
romanticism has elements of neo-classicism

poetry often repeats the metrical forms & styles of classic poetry, even in modern stuff (often this is an easter egg unknown to the dumb public)
>>
>>7411571
>Melbourne
Fuck off, all of Australia is a cultureless shithole.
>>
>>7415182
I've been thinking about this recently.
Event though Douglas Coupland was essentially doing this in the early 90's, as displayed in his book 'microserfs'.

I've been trying to play around with A concept I like to call 'predictive poetry'.
You basically just use your iPhone/smartphones predictive text feature to generate a sentence, or poem for you.

All you do is start with a random letter or word, and your phone will suggest 3 possible alternatives.

It's pretty interesting, because iPhones track which word you would usually use after any other given word, so it picks up speach patterns.

Unfortunately, if you're a pleb like me, your poetry will be shit; eg

Fuck the best way,
I don't know what to say,
I just want to go back,
I'm just a little bit more than you can get.
>>
>>7415650

Here's one I just did.

I'm not sure how I feel like a lot of people are going out with the best way of saying it was not immediately known whether or not the same thing over and over again in my room for improvement but the fact that you have no idea what to say that I don't think you should know better then I don't know how much I hate when people don't know if it's not even funny anymore but it would mean so much for me and you have no idea why I'm still waiting on a Saturday morning in my head hurts so bad but it would mean so much for a few days ago when the sun goes down
>>
>>7415914
>but it would mean so much for me, and you have no idea why I'm still waiting on a Saturday morning in my head

I know that feel, bro
>>
>>7415650
Sounds fun.

It doesn't matter what you think I can be
I love the way you want to go back and forth between the lines of my life
>>
>>7413365
I've watched someone put a wireless mic covered in bubble wrap inside a cyclonic vacuum system, suck up half a cup of shattered glass, proceed to tape the nozzle to the bottom of a claranet and run the entire thing through a serious of effects pedals and looping stations.

If you call that 'bullshit improv noise' then, I guess, you're probably right, but also, you can't dispute the fact that he's carving his own path..
>>
>>7415914
that's really nice, mane
>>
>>7415182
Reminds me of that one pedo bot on /tv/ who would post a different randomly-made poem with every thread to avoid banning.
>>
>>7411377
wtf was it really translated to french?
>>
>>7411571
which avant garde scene, centred where?

Studying at melbourne uni and can't find anything in the city beyond wanky rich-kid 'art' shows and shitty garage rock
>>
>>7411571
>>7416931
expanding on this, which are the good venues for avant garde music? The Tote sometimes has good stuff, but it mixed in with a lot of crap. I saw one good gig at a houseparty that wasn't just the same surf-rocky crap, but the band disbanded afterwards and i never met their members or saw if there was anything better going around. Finding it much harder to meet interesting people/see interesting stuff in melbourne than i did in Sydney (where i went to school) because of the crowd im around, and i found that surprising. Any pointers of deece places to go or good acts would be helpful
>>
>>7411289
true sincerity is the most avant-garde thing in today's literature
>>
File: 1402797200505.png (113KB, 1024x776px) Image search: [Google]
1402797200505.png
113KB, 1024x776px
>>7416168
he should have shoved it up his ass. what you're describing is merely foreplay in my eyes. this is just vapid raising-the-stakes edgy bullshit that is absolutely valueless. if these people want to do something worthwhile they should throw their bodies into mincing machines. they should sacrifice their bodies. everything else is a total bore.
>>
>>7416940
Try the curtin for a good vibe. I think yah yahs still do bands. But yeah I'd disagree with >>7411571 in that most of Melbourne arts scene is a wank, consisting of empowered young adults overly educated and under expierenced.

Now that been said there is some authenticity in the city but it is internally exclusive. Except for like...bang and next scene kids if thats your vibe.
>>
>>7417087
Oh i should add that Uni Melb aint the place to search for authenticity. Try to get in with the JMC crowd or befriend some internationals. I went Uni Melb and made like, two friends that i still talk to.
>>
>>7416931
Um, well my girlfriend is a fashion designer, and that's pretty much where I meet everyone. It's all pretty inbred from what I've seen. You're always at these parties or secret art shows or whatever, and you see the same people over and over again. From my experience, everyone seems fairly genuine, and defiantly intelligent. My girlfriend did her degree at RMIT, but dropped out because it was so commercial/consumerist based, but that's where we met a handful of these 'in the loop' people, and all you need is a foot in the door.
>>
Tundra books, Kolsti Nguyen, Tao Lin, John Von Dorf
>>
>>7416940
There's a place called 'dark horse' in the cbd that has some good output.. Also 'conduit arts' in Fitzroy, but like with anything, you've got to pick your moments.

I don't know. A lot of the events aren't sort of grounded anywhere, they're just in random factories or houses, or one time, this underground abandoned parking lot in the Northam suburbs. As I said, all you need is to meet people who are into similar things, and you slowly start hearing about more and more.

What ever you're into, there is 100% people in Melbourne who are into the same kind of thing. Admittedly, sometimes you will turn up to something, and there will be, like, four other people, but you know what? You just might have a kick ass time, and more often than not, the artists are pretty down to earth, and friendly; so give it a try! You just might meet a kindred spirit.
>>
>>7413681
I have to say, I hate 4chan's labelling of anything popular as a meme –it seems dismissive, almost.
>>
>>7416940
Loop bar can be a good place to meet interesting people if you smoke or drink, but depending on the night, it can be a bit full of yobos.. Try going on a weeknight.

Howler in Brunswick is good for more conventional bands, and they also have really good food, and generally nice people (a few cringeworthy drunks scattered around, but it's not too bad)

And if you like clubs, you should defiantly check out Boney in the CBD. They have some pretty obscure dj's/acts playing upstairs.
>>
Is y'all niggas really from down undah?
>>
>>7418236
I havnt been to boney since it was pony. It looks real gentrified now?
>>
>>7411377
I want to do the italian traslation myself.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.