[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>“They didn’t have to do that” Is there anything in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: library.jpg (657KB, 901x1100px) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
657KB, 901x1100px
>“They didn’t have to do that”

Is there anything in a creative work that “has” to be done? The favorite thing that analysts love to point out is that “Oh, the blue curtains have to mean something, the author didn’t have to make them blue, but they choose to. They choose to make the curtains blue over something else”

Is it not possible that the artist wrote "He stood upon the stepladder" not because it represented the character rising in moral standing but simply because the character needed to reach something on the top shelf?
>>
>>7389632
I always thought the curtains being blue was a garbage example to be used for this whole thing. The author could have made the curtains blue to set a mood, and I never see this brought up by either authorfags or deaththereoffags.
>>
File: Blue Sheets.png (373KB, 974x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Blue Sheets.png
373KB, 974x1000px
>>7389643

It's the only example /lit/ has, so they continually rehash it.

You think us capable of creating new arguments?
>>
>>7389839
learn a real rigorous discipline, faggot
>>
>Is it not possible that the artist wrote "He stood upon the stepladder" not because it represented the character rising in moral standing but simply because the character needed to reach something on the top shelf?

False Dichotomy. A good author does both at the same time.
>>
i want that room in the OP's pic.
>>
>>7391102

Why?

I can smell the mold in it from here...
>>
>>7391102
fedora.jpg
>>
>>7389850
Short of STEM, there aren't any.
>>
>>7389850
Why?
>>
>>7391459
>fedora
Fuck off.
>>7391102
Same.
>>
>>7391476
thanks family <3
>>
>>7391476
->
>>7391459
>>
>>7391493
No problem. It's a very aesthetic room to be quiet honest. :3
>>
>>7389632
>Is it not possible that the artist wrote "He stood upon the stepladder" not because it represented the character rising in moral standing but simply because the character needed to reach something on the top shelf?
If this is really how you think about literature I think you definitely need to kill yourself. Or at least leave this board you absolute fucking shithead.
>>
>>7391527
I love aesthetic. :3
>>
>>7391615
*blushes*
m-me too, sensei
>>
>>7391620
I don't even like coffee but let's go get some anon-kun!!!
>>
>>7391563

It's not a "bad" reading.

It simply puts plot advancement above all other qualities that literature might possess.
>>
“Then there is the other secret. There isn't any symbolysm [sic]. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know.”
- Ernest Hemingway
>>
>>7391563
You're too caught up into finding a meaning to every small event in a book. This probably comes from you having been taught that authors meticulously hide symbols in every page at school, and that literary analysis consists of unearthing them. There's actually a good quote about this:

>In many college English courses the words myth and symbol are given a tremendous charge of significance. You just ain't no good unless you can see a symbol hiding, like a scared gerbil, under every page. And in many creative writing courses the little beasts multiply, the place swarms with them. What does this Mean? What does that Symbolize? What is the Underlying Mythos? Kids come lurching out of such courses with a brain full of gerbils. And they sit down and write a lot of empty pomposity, under the impression that that's how Melville did it.
>>
>>7393574

Hemingway is probably the greatest example of an author who doesn't deserve the works he wrote.
>>
>>7393605
Now you're just spewing nonsense.
>>
>>7393605
..what is this even supossed to mean?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.