[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some good introductory books on philosophy that will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1436246981213.jpg (149KB, 784x811px) Image search: [Google]
1436246981213.jpg
149KB, 784x811px
what are some good introductory books on philosophy that will give me a broad and basic level on philosophy topics.

I guess I could start with history of western philosophy by bertrand russell, even if /lit/ get triggered by it.
>>
philosophy isn't something you can read one book and be introduced to. You really just need to start with the greeks, focusing on Plato, and move forward. We've been asking mostly the same questions for all of recorded history, and it's best to see the organic evolution of that. You're not going to get much out of reading philosophy for a few months. You need to dedicate a lot of time to it if you want to get past freshman college level stuff.
>>
>>7386314
you seem to be ignoring the point of introductory books bro.

they're not made to give a deep understanding.
>>
History of Western philosophy by Russell is great, /lit/ gets butthurt because he states his opinion at times, but it is very clear when he is doing so and does a good job being neutral when stating what philosophers main concepts were. There's also a pretty good auidobook version.
Also check out The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps podcast
>>
>>7386308
>what are some good introductory books on philosophy that will give me a broad and basic level on philosophy topics.

wikipedia, or ask someone who knows about it

read real books instead of kindergartner trash if you want to learn anything
>>
>>7386798
>The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps podcast
This is what plebs like me listen to.
>>
File: Bloom Meme.jpg (2KB, 118x125px) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Meme.jpg
2KB, 118x125px
Start with the greeks OP.
>>
>>7386798
I second everything this anon says. Russell is a good start. Take notes as you read, and anything you're curious about you can look up on the wiki or Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy.

The podcast is good too.

Also could pirate some TTC courses. Plenty on TPB. Lawrence Cahoone's Modern Intellectual Tradition is quite good.
>>
File: Stegmueller.jpg (173KB, 440x578px) Image search: [Google]
Stegmueller.jpg
173KB, 440x578px
Main Currents in Contemporary German, British and American Philosophy by Wolfgang Stegmüller. You're welcome.
>>
>>7387131
What's a TTC? course
>>
Sophie's World
>>
>>7387286
The Teaching Company. Just put TTC into TPB search, audio and video.
>>
The Complete Plato.

Thread closed.
>>
>>7387300

Yeah. Bear in mind it's mostly for teens. I read it when I was 14. Got me into philosophy.

That said, it actually gives a pretty good outline of the history of philosophy, in an extremely accessible manner.
>>
>>7386798
>he states his opinion at times
At times is a severe understatement.

Forget Russell, get Anthony Kenny's A New History of Western Philosophy. It's more up-to-date and you don't have to deal with Russell's bullshit.
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>7387319
>Russell
>Bullshit
K E K
>>
>>7386308

read plato's republic.

skip everything else till you get to ole freddy n.
read everything by him from "human all too human" onwards in sequence.

that'll pretty much do you for western philosophy.
ole freddy n. was the last great philosopher, awesome writer too. funny as fuck, most of his stuff reads like a bill hicks standup routine.

then head east. prolly read the diamond sutra, then ohhh maybe the tao te ching, then head on over to the koans, start with zen flesh, zen bones, then the blue cliff record, maybe a bit of dogen, but not too much! the ole shobogenzo will do your head in, a whole chapter on taking a crap! wass dat about eh?
>>
>>7388231
8/10 bait, almost replied
>>
>>7388309

what?!?! you dont find ole freddy n. funny??!??!
come on man! he's hysterical!

ps you did in fact reply :^)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.