[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm halfway through this and while the acting is stiff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Dune_Cover_front.jpg (144KB, 694x873px) Image search: [Google]
Dune_Cover_front.jpg
144KB, 694x873px
So I'm halfway through this and while the acting is stiff and dull as fuck, the source material seems like it would be interesting. Are the actual Dune books good?
>>
>>7377489
Yes. So far I'm halfway through the first book and really enjoying it.
>>
>>7377489
no its anime tier garbage.
>>
First book is god tier
Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are great
God Emperor is ok
Heretics was piss.
>>
>>7377489
no, they're all forgettable generic sci fi. i wish this wasn't the case but it is. dune has the most boring prose imaginable.
>>
>>7377500
Meaning?

>>7377493
>>7377501
Alright, the movie almost seems to suffer from that "lets cram 5 books worth of info into one movie" syndrome. Like, what the fuck is with the pugs and why are they carrying them into battle?
>>
File: battle pug.gif (467KB, 200x222px) Image search: [Google]
battle pug.gif
467KB, 200x222px
>>7377509
Just something tarded Lynch did. Have you seen the cat yet? That's not in the book either.
>>
>>7377519
Yeah, that's the scene. I haven't seen any cats that I recall, I'm at the part where Paul and his mother crash into the desert and he starts hallucinating again.
>>
>>7377525
It's coming up later. You won't be able to miss it.
>>
is the big bulbous flying guy in the book? he disgusted me in a bad way
>>
>>7377564
Baron Harkonnen? Are you serious?
>>
Lynch's Dune is fine as long as you're familiar with the source material. It's only in the last act when the movie turns into Flash Gordon where it starts to suck.
>>
>>7377571
well i figured he was in the book in some form, but is he as body-horror mutated and shit?
>>
>>7377582
I don't know, I'm the OP.

>>7377579
>Lynch's Dune is fine as long as you're familiar with the source material
This is the worst acting and special effects I've ever seen though.
>>
>>7377582
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the book describes him as horrifyingly fat and like a baby.
>>
>>7377579
>Lynch's Dune is fine
Lynch's Dune would be like Band of Brothers without any of the brothership.
Or a Don Quixote movie without any silly humor.
>>
>>7377519
What the hell? I have no memory of this being in the film.
>>
>>7377489
>Are the actual Dune books good?
Depends on you as a reader, I think. If you're used to reading actually well-written /lit/core stuff and have a low tolerance for mediocre prose, your opinion will probably echo >>7377508 or >>7377500 although you might find some of the ideas cool.

If on the other hand you generally read sci-fi and don't have high standards for prose you'll probably love it.
>>
>>7377489
>posting on 4chan halfway through a film

god I'm disgusted.
>>
>>7379313
Why, the film is terrible.
>>
>>7379417
Regardless of if it is or not, you have no right to judge it as such if you're shitposting while you watch it.
>>
>>7379423
>you have no right to judge it as such if you're shitposting while you watch it.
What, you can't declare a film terrible after watching more than 2/3's of it? It's not even an uncommon opinion, the movie was universally panned, bombed in the box office and even snagged "worst movie of 1984".
>>
>>7379460
Unrightly so I think. It’s not a bad movie, but it suffers from both too much and too little cutting – what is the point of shields if everyone uses guns? – and though I had heard that it was hard to follow I did not found that to be the case; I think even someone who has not read the novel would have understood what was going on. I’m not saying it is a great movie, but it is not a bad one either; it is better than Jackson’s Hobbit at least.
>>
>>7379460
There was an article published recently that talked about great movies that were disliked by critics around the time of their release, and Dune was mentioned.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/these-so-called-bad-movies-prove-the-urgency-of-film-criticism
>>
>>7379508
>acting is utterly terrible
>fucking Sting is the best actor in the movie
>the main plot while a bit convoluted is at least follow-able if you pay attention but all the subplots are an unexplained mess
>massive use of stock footage
>special effects are one hundred times worse than SW:ANH despite having four times the budget and coming out nearly a decade later
>almost nothing is actually explained in the movie, just random symbolism thrown in to make it seem deep
>the last 20 minutes of the movie is literally the Fremen riding the worm and shouting at people

I haven't read the novel and almost nothing in the movie made sense except as I said earlier, the broad idea of the plot. And if the movie isn't bad, then why does Lynch want absolutely nothing to do with it anymore?
>>
>>7379528
Worst actor in Dune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3z50txO8vw
>>
The Dune series is great. Just avoid anything written by Brian Herbert and his butt-buddy Paul Anderson.
>>
>>7379528
I heard that they cut like two hours of footage from it
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.