[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Purity by Franzen? You lied to me, /lit/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: based_Franzen.png (20KB, 794x259px) Image search: [Google]
based_Franzen.png
20KB, 794x259px
Can we talk about Purity by Franzen?

You lied to me, /lit/. This book is actually pretty good. I just finished it and I'm still in that post-novel stupor that only excellent books can put me in.

Sure, Franzen's works can be described as a thousand miles wide and two feet deep, and sure his writing is accessible almost to a fault. And his butchering of internet vernacular made me cringe a couple times.

But Franzen knows characters, and he knows how to spin a complex yarn while making it seem effortless and natural. Andreas Wolf and Annabel are perhaps the most well-developed and interesting characters I've come across in quite some time. His attacks on feminism, the Reddit/tumblr circlejerk and experimental art bullshit were all spot-on. This is probably the first book I've read that I feel like really begins to address the experience of the next-generation of Americans.

I don't know, I just thought it was a really great read all around. Much better than Freedom. Just as good as the Corrections.

Pic very related: first hit on Google
>>
I almost want to like Franzen just to spite the SJW cunts, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish The Corrections, it was just inane.
>>
>>7328647
This is one of those cases where the enemy of my enemy is still not my friend.

If the official reason to hate Franzen is because of the typical SJW bullshit then no, I don't throw my fedora in the pile. I will abstain from judgement.

I only will say he is bad on the grounds that he is a bad writer.
>>
Franzen has the biggest balls of any famous living "literary" author. /lit/ might sneer at most modern-day authors because they didn't have the foresight to publish 100 years ago, but Franzen deserves a serious read to see where "literary" is going.
>>
>This book is actually pretty good.

Perhaps you're just not a good judge of such things.
>>
>>7328655
>I only will say he is bad on the grounds that he is a bad writer.

Which he is.
>>
Literature died on January 13, 1941. I don't understand why we even bother with all the arguments and threads and memes about these modern 'authors' like DFW or Franzen.
>>
I have to ask:

Is Franzen critical of the left?

I've tried reading Corrections, and I found that it wasn't very good, so I don't know about his political leanings. I know he is "Liberal" but is he still critical of liberals?
>>
>>7328675
Franzen hates everyone. I don't think he's written a character he's liked. He's almost a misanthropic luddite.
>>
>thinking a book is good just because it agrees on any level with /pol/shit
>>
>>7328622

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-franzen-of-it-all-purity-and-the-great-american-novelist/

This captures the problem I have with it. Franzen over-reduces his character's motivations.
>>
File: 1446773603759.jpg (138KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1446773603759.jpg
138KB, 640x640px
Does anyone know where to find a true literary agent that will help you publish LITERARY fiction? I'm talking about literary fiction in the classic sense, so no commercial or genre fiction. Pls.
>>
>>7328675
>Is Franzen critical of the left?

Who isn't these days? The left is really so irrelevant today they have to create controversies where none exists.
>>
>>7328725
to try to stay relevant*
>>
>>7328725
Right, but a lot of these publishers seem to have such a far left bias, that whenever someone criticizes them, they get triggered, and your work becomes forgotten. Look at the people winning the Pulitzers and other awards. It's just pandering.

How the fuck is an author supposed to succeed when the industry loves being pandered to, and tries to silence those who criticize them.
>>
>>7328736
It's all about money dude. They pander to certain people because those certain people will make them money.
>>
>>7328742
I know, but why the awards? If they want to publish the same old lazy shit, that's fine, but give the best writers their due...
>>
Yes it is a marvellous book.

Edgy teens with no lives won't like it, but they can read it when they grow up.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-franzen-of-it-all-purity-and-the-great-american-novelist/

..has a point. His psychological explanations for character's micro- motivations can be both amazing and irritating.
>>
I like Franzen, he is probably my favorite living author. I know I have shit taste; I literally have not given a fuck since my pretensious days in college. I loved the correction and even freedom. I just ordered purity from Amazon. Will I be happy with it?
>>
>>7330569
read it and find out
>>
>>7328750
awards sell books
>>
I don't understand the hate for The Corrections in here. Franzen built some pretty realistic characters in there, but then again I did spend some time living in the Midwest, so maybe they're just more real to me. Part of the novel's interest, to me is that Franzen was able to pull off a decent novel that lacked a linear or true plot, which seems like an accomplishment most people wouldn't be up to doing.
>>
>>7330245
>japs

no faustian spirit/10 would not bang
>>
>>7328622
>So much of reading is sustained in this country, I think, by the fact that women read while men are off golfing or watching football on TV or playing with their flight simulator or whatever. I worry — I'm sorry that it's, uh — I had some hope of actually reaching a male audience and I've heard more than one reader in signing lines now at bookstores say "If I hadn't heard you, I would have been put off by the fact that it is an Oprah pick. I figure those books are for women. I would never touch it." Those are male readers speaking. I see this as my book, my creation.[24]

no good syntax here...
>>
>>7328736
>that whenever someone criticizes them, they get triggered,
morality based on emotions. thank you Ayer.
>>
>>7330704
>Part of the novel's interest, to me is that Franzen was able to pull off a decent novel that lacked a linear or true plot, which seems like an accomplishment most people wouldn't be up to doing.

Paraphrased
>He set out to write a boring book and succeeded.
>>
I'm always straddling this line between loving Franzen and hating him. On one hand, there's something real and goofy about him. There's an old interview he did with DFW on Charlie Rose that just got reuploaded where he gets reproofed by DFW, and I thought his reaction was really natural and human, rather than the sort of weird, idolistic, very polished image someone like DFW had. Plus he can write some seriously real characters.

On the other hand, he can come off as utterly silly and pretentious. Most of his interviews have him sounding like an undergrad trying to create profundity and meaning where there is none. It's seriously irritating.

But maybe he has what it takes to be the next big novelist, if he isn't already.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.