[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is post apoc so entertaining? Is it because of being freed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: lyncharacterization.jpg (360KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
lyncharacterization.jpg
360KB, 1920x1040px
Why is post apoc so entertaining? Is it because of being freed of grand societal narrative? Death of ideology? Post post post post scarcity? Survival mechanics? Roaming neo-societal constructs? Decadent beauty?

What's your apocalypse, what's the best you've read and what kind would you write? I'm partial to irreverence of nature found in Blood Meridian.
>>
BM isn't postapoc.

Usually I find post apoc boring as fuck
>>
>>7327857
It is in spirit
>>
>>7327857
What do you think all those forsaken towns signify? Stupido.
>>
Post apocalyptic is simply a cultural obsession of a feeble expression of self shame. They are almost universally never good because they are products of underdeveloped minds, be it 15 year olds or whatnot.
>>
>>7327837
I think it seems more from peoples desire to live out survival fantasies, hence why people discussing their zombie survival fantasies is so common.
>>
>the death of ideology

I'm pretty sure that's completely impossible.
>>
>>7328064
ideology dies as soon as belly goes empty
>>
>>7327837
I Am a Hero is probably the best post-apocalyptic thing I've ever read. I might be a weeab, but I've read a lot of post-apoc stuff and I've gotta say this comes closest to being a perfect satire of the genre while still staying true to it. It's basically the beta uprising with zombies.

Really if I was to write something post-apocalyptic I would definitely want to make fun of the fans of it for being outcasts who would rather have society fall apart than acknowledge that they need to conform.
>>
The post-apocalyptic genre is interesting because it destroys the existing systems of control and return society to a period where central authority is weak and small, thus allowing for 'adventure' in a world without regulation.
>>
>>7328056
This.
>>
>>7328110
I found it to be quite formulaic, and I usually have plenty of problems with slice of life manga, namely those regarding the storytelling method, predictable hangup on random details and false depth it adds to characters. I think that I am Hero tried to overcome this generic outcome by going surreal but fell into absurdism along the way.

>And now, I will have a dialogue with a head I'm pissing on because I'm deranged, see

>>7328128
Regulation would never cease, worst you can hope for is plenty of small agricultural militia states.
>>
File: 1377636717695.png (166KB, 599x581px) Image search: [Google]
1377636717695.png
166KB, 599x581px
post-apocalyptic work is popular because people DO NOT LIKE THE CURRENT WORLD; it's boring and uncomfortable being a wage slave in a crowded world where you don't really matter and there's no time to have fun anyways and it honestly doesn't even matter if you live or die. Humans are genetically predisposed to be a group of hunters out in the woods, but modern society removes the woods, removes the hunting, and in fact even removes the group.

This is why shit like the Walking Dead is so extremely popular: it's a fantasy of the return to nature, the return to the importance of the individual as a member of a tribe, the return to the ancestral thrill of survival.
>>
>>7328075
Yeah thats why hunger strike exists.
>>
>>7328171
well, i guess you're right enough
>>
>>7327959
>>7327962

>war is the apocalypse

Not sure if you're both retarded or what.
>>
>>7328140
That's the point; the regulation is weak and so locally centred that it may as well not exist once you get out onto the roads. It's pretty much a return to the state of affairs before the 19th century.
>>
>>7328140
I thought that the delusions were clever because they were another escape from genuine introspection and represented how terrified he is of examining his life. In one of the latest chapters the delusion points out that he is thinking clearest when he's hallucinating which suggests that being able to think rationally is one of his worst fears as it would place him in control of his life. I thought all of the main character's weird tics perfectly fit in with the image of an otaku who's torn between acknowledging his position in life and actually taking responsibility for his actions or remaining delusional allowing him to act unconsciously.

It all ties back into the idea that the kind of people who desire a post-apocalyptic scenario would rather have the whole world die than change themselves.
>>
>>7328237
I have to read more and will because the drawing is good but I got exactly what I expected from the start
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.