[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I live inside a Raymond Carver short story yet? >spend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: cathedral_lr.jpg (87KB, 720x682px) Image search: [Google]
cathedral_lr.jpg
87KB, 720x682px
Do I live inside a Raymond Carver short story yet?

>spend 5am-930am stocking shelves
>chat to coworkers in tiny lunchroom
>they talk about their dogs, their ill sisters, or another place going out of business and a friend loseing their job
>drive around in my grandpa's buick at night
>drink a can of strong beer by myself in a car in a parking lot
>go into library, guy singing to himself beside me, only discernable lyric is 'she's gone, she's gone'
>too poor to go anywhere
>don't really talk to anyone about anything much
>general feeling of unease
>>
>>7324462
I live some of that. it's suffering. Are his stories like that? kinda interested. describe more Carver-like vignettes please.
>>
>>7324468
idk
like a guy's wife tells him to move out, he lives in the top floor of a rented house. he finds the old land lady laying on the floor, in her room, but notices she is breathing so leaves her. he just drinks champagne for breakfast and always has the television, but not with any sound usually

or a guy gets laid off of his job, he gets dresssed everyday and lays on a couch all day watching television. his fridge breaks and his wife tries to cook everything

a recovering alcoholic lives alone in the house of another recovering alcoholic, he invites his estranged wife and she stays with him for the summer. he gets news he cant rent the houes anymore, the owner's daughter needs it. he has to move out and is seemingly terrified of that prospect
>>
>>7324468
Voyeuristic fables from the American mid-west. Garbage. An iced-over puddle disguised as a lake. Carver is an obfuscator and an illusionist. Pure trash. Avoid.
>>
>>7324500
out of any author he seems to obfuscate the least and seems to have positively zero illusion in his writing, what are you going on about?

do you think his writing is exploitive b/c the characters r poor?
>>
>>7324500
Intelligent. Nihilistic. Wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>7324509
I didn't say his writing was exploitative, perhaps try reading the post next time before arriving at such a distorted conclusion. He is obfuscatory in a similar kind of way Hemingway tries and fails to be obfuscatory. He (or rather his pimp Gordon Lish) subscribe to the notion that the less one says directly about a story's theme, meaning or intended emotional effect the more worthwhile it is when that theme reveals itself to the reader, the more valuable its meaning is when it is grasped regardless, and the more genuine the reader's emotions are. This is all well and good but Carver, coddled and gelded by alcoholism and the life of a workshy prole, can communicate only a list of observations which, when delivered in a sequence one might patronize to call a story, either bores the type of people who live in these kind of places and to whom these stories may plausibly relate, and intrigues and depresses the kind of sheltered college-aged kid who believes reading literary fiction about the drudgery of working class life somehow relates to their own self-willed apathy and laziness. Ray-mond Car-ver. A nice name. Solid. Masculine. Well-proportioned. But alas a poor writer, lacking even enough confidence to stand by his writing when faced with an editor who wants to use his work to make a name for himself.
>>
You can do a lot better than Chapters anon, believe me.
>>
>>7324547
i thought that was all part of the fun of raymond carver
>>
>>7324547
>I didn't say his writing was exploitative, perhaps try reading the post next time before arriving at such a distorted conclusion

That wasn't a conclusion it was a sentence you cock gobbler.

Not even that guy, but for someone so quick to draw the learn to read card you cant even understand punctuation.

Your post consists of "I don't like how he writes, and I don't like the type of people I think read him" in so(so) many word.

Good job billy. Gold star for participation.
>>
>>7324564
The fact you feel the length of my post is worthy of ridicule or censure is only evidence of your own inability to parse information maturely. Try reading less Carver / Lish, you may feel less disinclined to read things more than 140 characters in length. I challenge you to point out what punctuation errors I have committed. Pitiful infant.
>>
>>7324564
yeah that was my post. and you're right i didnt suggest anon was saying it was exploitive, i just meant to ask if they also thought that. but anons rebuttal was pretty great anyway, even if i dont agree with it completely.

>>7324549
hmm?
>>
>>7324547
embarrassing
>>
>>7324590
Nice rebuttal kiddo
>>
>>7324580
>Pitiful infant.

****tips****
>>
>>7324580
Are you ESL or just retarded? The length of your post was not attacked, rather the lack of substance for its length.

The latter you could surely achieve with only 5 characters I'm sure.
>>
>>7324624
Go to bed, Tao.
>>
>>7324633
>Tao

This guy's obviously imitating some continental philosopher and imagines he's the 'aristocracy of the mind'. I bet he fantasises about having a grand piano in his mom's basement where he could perform a quick yet graceful Wagner number after all the proles have gotten him down, then brush back his hair of the genius and straighten his frock (yes, he always wears a frock). But not really, he's just a neckbeard with an IQ of 105, like you or me.
>>
>>7324656
You post like a tripfag desu.

I wonder why the most offensive thing in your world is that someone might think too highly of themselves.
>>
>>7324547
>Literature has to be this! not this!

fucking plebs.
>>
this thread I started turned into such a fucking mess. Ugh i hate you guys sometimes
>>
>>7324547
This is why the Nabokov fans are the worst part of this board. And don't even fucking deny that you're impersonating him.
>>
>>7326210
I dislike anyone associated with Gordon Lish and his disciples to be honest
>>
>>7324547
this board needs more people like you. tired of all the undergrads. the amount of replies this post got in the negative is a testament to just how bad it's gotten.
>>
>>7324564
you're an illiterate faggot. get out.
>>
>>7324624
oh my god you insufferable mong, you're really embarrassing yourself. stop posting
>>
>>7326476
lol
>>
this is such an awful thread
>>
>>7326446
we get it please stop posting
>>
>>7324547
Nice post.
>>
>The one guy same fagging this entire thread

Just trip up so i can filter you. thanks
>>
>>7327151
dont
>>
>>7324462
nice. ray carver is in my top favorites.

>>7324468
somewhat but not as overt. his stories take place around kitchen tables, living rooms, beds, bars, and yards for the most part.

>>7324547
fuck off. his writing provides clarity and he uses words to take us beyond them to communicate what is otherwise difficult to say.

"his pimp Gordon lish"
actually Raymond carver hated how lish pared down his stories. personally, I prefer it versus "beginners" where you can see carver's work without the editing. but "pimp"....talking about obfuscation I wish you'd speak plainly instead of trying to look impressive by jerking yourself off itt.

>But alas a poor writer
alas???? and you say carver's a poor writer. this is where you came, right?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.