[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, what's the best way to get into meditation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: yoga man.jpg (22KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
yoga man.jpg
22KB, 300x224px
Hey /lit/, what's the best way to get into meditation?

After reading Siddhartha, I want to give it a shot.
>>
by meditating. Look online for about 15 seconds and you'll find about 1 million beginner's guides and begin. It's really not that complicated.
>>
>>7314531
1 - Sit down
2 - focus on your breathing
3 - DON'T GET UP
4 - subsume into The One
>>
Damn that is one nice ass looking pond hes got there.

I wish I had a pond like that to meditate by.
>>
>>7314531
>>>/x/
>>
>>7314765
hahahaha!
>>
Is there a preferred time to meditate? or does it really not matter

and should you do it at the same time every day? or again does it really not matter
>>
The Art of Living by S.N. Goenka and William Hart
>>
Find a quiet spot, read the bible, contemplate
>>
>>7315047
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter
Dude, if you want a good example, I meditate whenever I feel like I'm being controlled too much by my emotions and can't think rationally. Of course, only when these emotions interfere with making important decisions. Or when I really feel stressed and want a time to be at peace. Basically, do it when you feel like you need a time to turn yourself off from your surroundings.
>>
File: Zhuangzi.gif (122KB, 339x438px) Image search: [Google]
Zhuangzi.gif
122KB, 339x438px
>>7315047
Despite what you may think, you're better off meditating when you are fully awake and not tired. Meditation actually takes a lot of focus and it's hard to perform properly if you are fatigued. First thing in the morning is best, which also has the benefit of putting you in the right mood for the rest of the day.

By the way, this doesn't belong on /lit/
>>
File: watts.jpg (275KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
watts.jpg
275KB, 1252x1252px
>>7315074
This. I meditate when I feel like my emotions are impairing my judgement.
>>
>>7314531
Just feel, but do it so you are aware of whatever it is you are feeling with the frequency of a clock. With each passing moment, you really feel your focus slip and drop out completely and it takes some time and determination to do it for extended lengths. Eventually while focusing so hard on the simple fact that you are just being it may suddenly happen you notice your breathing as though it woke you up out of a sleep. Only the sleeping was a trance of physical euphoria.
>>
>>7315047
First thing in the morning is best. Otherwise you will probably be too restless to sit down.
>>
>>7314531
find a beautiful place, physical or otherwise, and observe yourself.
>>
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/aba/aba1.htm
>>
>>7315115
>>7315075
I'm not very awake first thing in the morning
>>
>>7315128
You can do it whenever. It's just that if you're in the middle of the day you will probably be restless and thinking of things you have to do.

Taking cold showers helps wake you up. Otherwise do it just before going to bed, once all the tasks of the day are done.
>>
>>7315144
thanks senpai
>>
>>7314531
Reads Siddhartha, asks for "spiritual" advice...

The whole point of the book is finding spirituality in your own way. Meditate in whatever way feels right, modify it until it works.
>>
>>7314531
First thing in the morning. It has an effect throughout the day that seems to temper off.
>>
>>7315085
Fuck yes, Watts. Read some of his stuff, OP.
>>
>>7315067
Shut up and get out
>>
>>7314762
That is a nice pond.
>>
File: Mindfulness in Plain English_0.jpg (77KB, 640x968px) Image search: [Google]
Mindfulness in Plain English_0.jpg
77KB, 640x968px
>>7314531
Read Mindfulness in Plain English.

I asked my Chinese lit professor this exact question and he recommended it. I liked it. It occasionally veers towards self-help bullshit, but generally very helpful.
>>
>>7315599
there is a second book by this guy
>>
>>7315884

are you retarded?
>>
>>7315884

Your shitty meme isn't working. Either stop or kill yourself please.
>>
>>7316407
this isn't /lit/ related either way.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.