[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to give a presentation -- about the use of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1425298016533.jpg (30KB, 236x338px) Image search: [Google]
1425298016533.jpg
30KB, 236x338px
I'm about to give a presentation -- about the use of the Irish Gaelic language in Finnegans Wake and its indirect impact on modern English literature -- to a bunch of uninterested college freshmen, to whom the words "Joyce and Beckett" sound like a brand of clothing. I had to memorize about two pages of Finnegans Wake for the presentation (opening of Chapter 1, and part of the Anna Livia chapter), and I will be autistically reciting them in a light irish brogue.

Presentation is in 20 minutes. Wish me luck!
>>
You're doing the lord's work
>>
> to a bunch of uninterested college freshmen, to whom the words "Joyce and Beckett" sound like a brand of clothing.
you could open with that. "Joyce and Beckett - that probably sounds like a brand of clothing to you, blah blah"

anyways, good luck trooper
>>
`dont put on an irish accent unless you are actually irish for fucks sake

you want these kids to remember you as the boring guy or the guy who put on a jamaican accent when reading out Joyce for no reason?
>>
>>6315023
Godspeed you anon
>>
>>6315038
how the fuck would you confuse an irish accent, even a fake one, for a jamaican one

lel
>>
Irish gaelic language? Ugh just say Irish language. You probably say St patty's day too.
>>
>>6315052
because when you americunts try to be funny it all sounds the same
>>
>>6315038
>no fun allowed
It's because of your crowd that these students and the world at large think of the humanities as a self-serious pile of boring bull
>>
>>6315038
Dont listen to this retard/ asshole, OP. Do the Irish accent.
>>
>>6315038
Do an irish accent. It's not our fault that EVERYONE EXCEPT AMERICANS sound like cartoon characters.
>>
>>6315023
skip the recitation. put the passage up on a powerpoint slide
>>
>>6315066
>implying i'm not mid-european
>>
>>6315052
>Slappin' the bass Mon.
>>
>Joyce

Well meme'd my friend
>>
How'd it go OP?
>>
File: 1425444571368.gif (548KB, 203x335px) Image search: [Google]
1425444571368.gif
548KB, 203x335px
>>6315373

Surprisingly good. I was able to recite pretty well, and I covered a shitload of material in only about 6 minutes. The general consensus was that mine was the best presentation by far, largely because I was actually interested in my topic. They thought the material was a bit too difficult and that I had a hard time putting a lot of my speech in "layman's terms". They thought the sheer amount of sources I had was fantastic, and that my conclusion was leagues above that in anyone else's presentation.

I'd say there's a good chance I got an A, and if not then a pretty high A-. I'm lucky that the professor was a big fan of James Joyce (mostly Dubliners/Portrait era however)

Thanks anons for your vote of confidence earlier. I have now enlightened many souls about Anna Livia and the journey of Sir Tristam, Violer D'Amores.
>>
Joyce and Beckett were more influenced by Anglo-Irish lit than they were by bardic Gael traditions
>>
File: beckettjoyce.png (384KB, 1146x524px) Image search: [Google]
beckettjoyce.png
384KB, 1146x524px
>>6315422

Oh also they loved my opening joke, I had a slide where I had a picture of Joyce/Beckett and said something along the lines of "yeah I guess you could say they weren't exactly the happiest fellows, writing in Dream Speak does that to a man" or something

pic related
>>
I visited Becketts grave in Paris a few months ago, just a simple marble slab on the ground with his name, probably the most modest in the entire plot
>>
>>6315069
Do the Irish accent, but do an actual Irish brogue. Do some research. Don't go up there and sound like the fuckin' leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commercials.
>>
>>6315487

I was born with an Irish Brogue mate I had to spend the first few years of my life turning it off. Turning it on again took me like 2 minutes
>>
Uh, considering there's more Romance language influence than any Gaelic in those parts, shouldn't you perhaps choose some of the pieces that rely on Gaelic in some measure? Are you calling Hiberno-English slang Gaelic?
>>
>>6315506

You'd be surprised how many FW words are of gaelic origin. Also, tons of scholars make note of FW's influence on Beckett -- largely, his use of Irish syntax and inversion in his own diction. There's actually a ton of research behind the subject
>>
>>6315516
>You'd be surprised how many FW words are of gaelic origin.
Ni bheinn ach tuigim cen ait in a mbeadh bearlachas, gaelinn, srl., no bearla ar fhail san leabhar agus ni hiad na caibidili sin.
>>
>>6315496
Oh okay, I didn't know that.
>>
OP, can you share your presentation in PDF? I'm curious.
>>
>>6315658

I think I'll have a recording or something given back to me by the professor by next week
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.