[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /lit/ I've been reading philosophy for 6 or 7 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Dear /lit/

I've been reading philosophy for 6 or 7 years now, some years more than other, however today ive decided to follow the advice: start with the greeks.
I have read most of the big philosophers partially, some more than other, but now I want them to read in the order academia reads them, so I can get more out of it.
Can you provide me with some links, how to start with this project?
Or is there someone who studies philosophy here which can give me a overview of the order in which he read them?
>>
>>6092117
Damn, what philosophy 'have' you been reading then?

Anyway, skip the pre-socratics (>inb4hate) then:

Plato - Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo, The Republic
Aristotle - Nichomachean Ethics, Politics, Physics, Metaphysics
>>
>>6092150
>skipping the presocratics
>no Symposium
>no Timaeus
>no Phaedrus

pure plebeology
>>
>>6092150
>Anyway, skip the pre-socratics
FUCK YOU

Without Heraclitus, Parmenides, Pythogoreans, and Sophists you won't understand where Plato's coming from.
Pre-socratics are important to read precisely because all our philosophy is based on Plato and Aristotle and not on them. They're a blind spot for most people. Even Aristotle didn't understand the Ionians anymore.
>>
>>6092150
I read parts or secondary literature of descartes, kant, hume, nietzsche, small bits of hegel, plato (republic), two history of philosophy books, wittgenstein (tractatus and philosophical investigations), foucault (history of madness), heidegger (but didnt understand a thing so mostly read it using secondary literature, same with derrida) and probably some more which I forgot.
Most dumb thing I did was the fact that I skipped hegel and kant (just some wiki) and did them really late, so when I read them I finally understood where all the people after them were coming from
>>
>>6092169
(not the first commenter nor OP)
I too started "from the greek", basically Plato and Aristotle. Which pre-socratic texts should one read to cover up the "blind spot"?
>>
>>6092196
Get a collection of pre-socratic fragments and read some secondary literature. In English I can recommend this one:
>Karsten Friis Johansen - A History of Ancient Philosophy
>>
>>6092169
Please. Pre-socratics are endgame reading.
>>
I got this on that philosophy test thing, know literally nothing about it.

Should I just start with hobbes then?
>>
>>6092277
Link pls
>>
>>6092117
>read philosophy for 6 or 7 years
>no greeks

what the actual fuck

Start with the Iliad and Odyssey, they lay the foundation for Greek Philosophy and are mention enough in their works so you need to know what the heck they are talking about.
>>
>>6092150
>skip the presocratics
Dropped
>not understanding the pythagorean influence of Plato
>not reading the beginning of metaphysics with Parmenides and his traditional contrast with Heraclitus
>not mirin' the ancient materialists who anticipated modern scientific theories
>>
>>6092305
This is the only answer that makes sense; start with Homer. There is no coherent writings of presocratics to actually study. Things we know about them comes from mostly Plato and Aristotle quoting them.
>>
>>6092317
Read Diels, faggot. We know about presocratics from a wide range of sources even when there's no fragments to study, and there is a fair bit for later ones such as Parmenides.
>>
>>6092226
I actually don't know of any english collection of sources on the Presocratics that's comprehensive as Die Fragmente der Vorsokratiker by Dieos. Am I missing something? Oxford's The First Philosophers is pretty good, but there's much less.
>>
>>6092350
Yeah, sorry, there's isn't a comprehensive one in English, at least I couldn't find one in the past. I think the ones available should do perfectly fine for a start though. You'll be interested in having all the fragments possible only later after returning to them.
There might be complete fragments for some of the individual philosophers though. For Heraclitus there's Kahn's which also includes pretty good commentary on each fragment individually.
>>
>>6092350
Kirk and raven, the presocratic philosophers
>>
>>6092372
Oh I can get Diels from a library so it doesn't really matter, I just find it strange that i have a better source as a eastern european than the English apparently. I'm surprised there isn't a translation
>>
>>6092407
I think it's because Germans had a hard on for the Greeks for quite a while. For various reasons I guess, but one of them is the apparent similarity between Bildung and paideia.
>>
what about this list? Is it any good?
http://philosophy.cua.edu/res/docs/Approved-Reading-List-Editions.pdf
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.