[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the secret of writing a best seller novel. The plot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: flanders-14.jpg (20KB, 480x351px) Image search: [Google]
flanders-14.jpg
20KB, 480x351px
What's the secret of writing a best seller novel.

The plot?
The quality of the prose?
Self insert fantasy?
>>
>>10031390
The marketing.
>>
>>10031390
The amount of jewish blood in the writer's veins.
>>
>>10031422
>>10031390

Marketing
>>
>>10031390
You need to tap into the zeitgeist to find a theme that's easily marketable and catches on.

Quality of the prose and plot are the least important.
>>
>>10031390
Premise and certain aspects of plot. Not so much things like character development or creative endeavors, but soap opera-esque twists and reveals. Look at someone like Dan Brown, he relies entirely on his premises and his twists. The self-insert shit works too, but usually when done in a passive way. Women are a major demographic of Dan Brown yet they certainly don't self-insert as Roert Langdon, they just self-insert as intelligent.

>>10031576
This too. Riding a fad in just the right way can absolutely do it, especially in the YA market. Notoriously shit series Divergence was able to completely sail by on similarly the shit Hunger Games series' success.
>>
>>10031629
>>10031576
How hard is to get published in genre fiction?
>>
>>10031637
I'd guess harder than YA trash but easier than traditional fiction. Depends on the genre though. Sci-fi has weird fucking liberal quotas now and fantasy is almost all self-published trash with the authors giving themselves good reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. If you like fantasy, I'd try to ride the wave of people looking for the next Game of Thrones when the show ends.
>>
>>10031662
I would love to make 5-6k writing a trashy YA fantasy novel.
I assume they're easy to write, but I suffer from low self steem, and there's always the pressure of perfectionism, thinking I wont be able to compete with geniuses.
>>
>>10031666
I'm confident you can compete with anyone in the YA market. It's pretty easy to break down the factors that make Rowling, Collins, Meyer, and Snicket popular. No geniuses there.
>>
>>10031717
I want to write a fantasy story about an african myth (Sundiata).

Will people care about it?
Will people even want a story about blacks?

Is so hard to think positive when you have low self steem and depression.

I'm sure is a really underexplored genre now.
>>
>>10031729
I'm interested anon. Go for it!
>>
>>10031729
Sounds lit, anon. Do it.
>>
>>10031390

pretty much, this:
>>10031422
>>10031431
>>
File: how many tabs.png (2MB, 600x1016px) Image search: [Google]
how many tabs.png
2MB, 600x1016px
>>10031576
>quality of the prose and plot are least important

This. People make fun of fucking Ready Player One on here but that guy's horrible lists that make for shit reading are actually search engine keyword lists. It beefs up the word count of the book while also guaranteeing people using a search engine will come across it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.