[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /lit/. I haven't read a book in forever. Yes, I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: 1503456975173.png (127KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1503456975173.png
127KB, 601x508px
Hi, /lit/. I haven't read a book in forever. Yes, I've read some of your classics but that was 3 years ago in high school. Now? What a mighty funk I'm in.

After grade school my reading habit sunk and fell prey to mindless diversions. Overtime this worsened till even my truly productive habits went under the waves. Before this disaster I studied to further my own skills in various things. With dawn's light I crawled to my keyboard to smash out several pages of a story. I prioritized my stories over bacon. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is.

And that wasn't the end of what I lost.

>losing opinion on many things
So...this applies to almost everything. Politics, books, people, events, art, etc. I resemble a nihilist--my default state of mind is that everything is meaningless. Yet, because I'm not actually a nihilist, this brings me great grief. I'm not making a "narrative" about anything...so, with nothing to distract or cheer me up, I feel this constant existential dread.
>...as you've guessed, I lost my sense of humor
I had wit and actually could talk to people and have something funny to say. I was a happier person with more friends.
>writing ability died. No, really, my style is lifeless and stilted while before it had bite and zest
Yes, the first part is self-evident too. I know. This is one of the saddest things for me...I mean, I loved to write. Now? The blank page only brings back memories of dreadful research papers.

I know that getting into reading now isn't the cure (though I'll do it for sure). There might not even be any cure for my newfound dumbness. However, I wanted to hear other experiences that you anons have had with reading...

Has the habit of reading changed you or your life--especially compared to a period where you didn't read a bit? If so, how? I'm curious.
>>
>>10030032
Everything you see around you is just the heuristic interpretation of an external reality. Everything you experience is a product of your mind. If you try to find meaning in life trough reason, then you have already neglected your own existence.

I'm not from /lit/. I come to troll this board myself. Consider this a bump.
>>
File: nice livejournal geek.png (9KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
nice livejournal geek.png
9KB, 500x500px
>>
nigga its a hobby like chill lmao
>>
File: 1505077685122.jpg (340KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1505077685122.jpg
340KB, 1080x1920px
>>10030032
>>10030094
I know.
>>10030090
Correct--but what if I want this vision to create and see more?

Not bad trolling by the way.

>>10030101
I know. Just meant a lot to me back in the day and livened up everything like spice and sugar and everything nice. 0:
Also
>its only a hobby
Does /lit/ agree with that?
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (81KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
81KB, 592x444px
When I picked up Plato for the first time I had the help of my friend who is a Franciscan Friar to help understand material I may not have grasped as well otherwise. What studying under these conditions did to my intellect is unparalleled. I began to understand the world in an entirely new way, in several different ways actually. For instance, I found purpose in my awareness of a morality that lay somewhere between Plato and Aurlieus. This made me optimistic about humanity and influenced how I interacted with people and even helped me make some really good friends. Put simply, I had a hope that everyone was capable of the a universal good that we could all understand. Further, I began for the first time in my life to really focus on what 'logic' meant which influenced me in a myraid of different ways.
Anyways I was all fine and dandy like this for a semester or two until I read Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Holy shit man I was blown away. Nietzche spoke of things about my being and condition that Plato never even encountered in his works. To read a passage from Nietzche and KNOW for a fact that what he was feeling, what complicated experience he was attempting to communicate with words (with poetry!) was exactly what I had experienced was incredible. Nietzche really had an influence on me. It destroyed what person I was before and initially this wasn't a good thing. I became a pessimist for a while but I believe this is only because of the nature of my change; violent affects have violent reactions. I was pretty depressed for a while now that I'd lost my sense of purpose and concrete optimism to fall back on. However, I grew from the experience. The anxiety and pessimism I experienced was what Nietzche calls the Aybss, the coldy staring meaninglessness of existence. But Nietzche taught me the Abyss is not what matters. What matters is how we respond to the Abyss. This is where the points of existentialism truly begin. Today I am still struggling to understand my own existence but I truly think it gets easier every day. Let me know if you have any questions. Much luck to you on your intellectual journey. What you're feeling is something many people may not ever in their lives. The reason being because most people are simply not as introspective enough to think about such things. What this entails is that these battles must be fought alone, most people won't understand. But do not fear, your strength simply lies dormant in you right now.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.