[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a writer a way to compromise for being an incomplete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Marcel_Proust_1900.jpg (564KB, 1207x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Marcel_Proust_1900.jpg
564KB, 1207x1600px
Is being a writer a way to compromise for being an incomplete human being?

Think about it. Instead of running off and being a badass writers just sit and stir and imagine made up badasses.

Instead of somehow becoming the Napoleons and conquerors of the world, writers are content (despite their notorious reputation for depression and suicide) to sit around all day like an opioid abuser and cook up all these far fetched fantasies rather than pursue life itself between the teeth.

Is writing and caring about fiction an inherently childlike activity that must be abandoned for adult business, a luxury?
>>
Was writing this thread a way to compromise for being an incomplete human being?
>>
>>10029899
No, that doesn't make much sense at all. Plenty of writers lead interesting lives, some of them were great.

Mark Twain wrote. Aurelius wrote. Mina Loy wrote (so did the Dadaist Painter/Boxer/Army Deserter she dated). Sun Tzu, King David, Solomon, Michelangelo, etc. etc.
>>
>>10029915
Will OP ever be able to recover from being this BTFO???
>>
>>10029915
I don't know, was it? Not to blog but I would say I'm someone who has faced his fare share of turbulence in life, but I'm also better off than millions of sorry sorts with the bad luck to be born in many of the world's desolate war zones and famished wastelands. Not that I haven't caught a whiff of that myself.

What I'm trying to say is I think writing is a sensible coping mechanism but it has to be put to a higher purpose somehow, which must inform your actions in real time in the world in and of itself.

>>10029930
Yes but many of these individuals were unquestionably multitalented in ways that more purely literary types were not.

Dostoevsky is the quintessential example of the hard up writer. A compulsive gambler with epilepsy, an ex convict whose newborn daughter just died, with his unscrupulous debts, neglecting the proper business of life in order to labor over his dolorous work.

Then you have say Emily Dickinson who locked herself in a tower and such.
>>
>>10029899
>rather than pursue life itself between the teeth.
Real life is mostly in-between events. What we do is we wait, for someone, for something, somewhere. Excitement only last for a second, and when that moment is gone all you have is a fading memory and the conviction that this really happened.
>>
>>10029899

>Instead of somehow becoming the Napoleons and conquerors of the world

I recall being 16 and identifying with Raskolnikov in the first quarter of C&P.
>>
The sad thing is OP keeps posting Proust because his books dribble on for far too long and we're going to have to see this homosexual Jew over and over again.
>>
>>10029899
Napoleon was a failed writer.

Writing is the hardest task known to man. After science and getting a gf.
>>
>>10029899
The conquerors of the world unironically have middling legacies compared to even the most obscure people whose writings have been preserved. This is not some sentimental, moralising platitude either. More of who they are is imparted by a tiny bit of ink on paper, more resonant with the soul of future generations, than the actions and accomplishments of warlords and generals and emperors who never wrote, or never permitted the company of the kind of man that could capture their essence through legend.

Of course, I think my prejudice toward "long legacies" is maybe arbitrary, an artifact of religion, of belief in a higher world - that unbreakable sensation that what happens after you die is more important than what comes before. Perhaps the man who lives with not a care in the world for what succeeds him is wiser, since he doesn't delude himself with there's anything worthwhile in store for him after his existence has ended. But who knows? I feel like an understanding of one's place in time, of how unimportant the matters of the day are, how there is nothing new under the sun, prevents you from wasting your time with retarded affairs. Memento mori.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.