[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Only approximately 650 lines of Sappho's poetry still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1487900489137.jpg (33KB, 629x505px) Image search: [Google]
1487900489137.jpg
33KB, 629x505px
>Only approximately 650 lines of Sappho's poetry still survive, of which just one poem – the "Ode to Aphrodite" – is complete, and more than half of the original lines survive in around ten more fragments. Many of the surviving fragments of Sappho contain only a single word[60] – for example, fragment 169A is simply a word meaning "wedding gifts",[77] and survives as part of a dictionary of rare words.[78] The two major sources of surviving fragments of Sappho are quotations in other ancient works, from a whole poem to as little as a single word, and fragments of papyrus, many of which were discovered at Oxyrhynchus in Egypt.[79] Other fragments survive on other materials, including parchment and potsherds.[61] The oldest surviving fragment of Sappho currently known is the Cologne papyrus which contains the Tithonus poem,[80] dating to the third century BC.[81]
>In antiquity Sappho's poetry was highly admired, and several ancient sources refer to her as the "tenth Muse".[100] The earliest surviving poem to do so is a third-century BC epigram by Dioscorides,[101][102] but poems are preserved in the Greek Anthology by Antipater of Sidon[103][104] and attributed to Plato[105][106] on the same theme. She was sometimes referred to as "The Poetess", just as Homer was "The Poet".[107] The scholars of Alexandria included Sappho in the canon of nine lyric poets.[108] According to Aelian, the Athenian lawmaker and poet Solon asked to be taught a song by Sappho "so that I may learn it and then die".[109] This story may well be apocryphal, especially as Ammianus Marcellinus tells a similar story about Socrates and a song of Stesichorus, but it is indicative of how highly Sappho's poetry was considered in the ancient world.[110]
>>
>>10028956
I would never read a women, so I don't care. They are inferior to us as white men.
>>
>>10028961
She was gay too, you could get hitched. Just need a time machine.
>>
>>10028961
>2 years in
>"Their inferior to us as white men" guy finally learns that his spam is grammatically incorrect

YOU DID IT! YOU FINALLY DID IT! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU
>>
>>10028961

Would you read Catullus, the greatest male Lyric poet of Roman times?

Ille mi par esse deo videtur,
ille, si fas est, superare divos,
qui sedens adversus identidem te
spectat et audit

Because its a paraphrase of Sappho.
>>
don't feel bad that the women hating christians erased sappho's work from history, soon the sjws will erase many great american writers from the historical record too
>>
just read Homer again. You probably don't even care much about the surviving poems.
>>
>>10029654

If the Christians got rid of it, it probably wasn't worth reading.
>>
File: IMG_3985.jpg (57KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3985.jpg
57KB, 460x460px
>>10028961
Why do non-whites and women feel the need to false flag so often on /lit/? Why are you so insecure?
>>
>>10030229
because we are just inferior to you white men
>>
>>10030234
Bazinga!
>>
>>10028956
Sorry your thread got shitted on by morons, OP.

re: Sappho's absence, I know your feel.
>>
File: 1504019778810.jpg (306KB, 1600x1145px) Image search: [Google]
1504019778810.jpg
306KB, 1600x1145px
>>10028961
>>10030242
>>10030234
>>10030229

I think this is actually a layer deeper. It's a white guy, posing as an sjw, posing as a white guy. The surface layer was immediately evident, as much as is any sarcastic reply. Only a few fools were suckered by it.

I reaction we're intended to have is "oh the sjw is overeacting and being a bitch snowflake as fucking always"

That's the target idea, that they want in your head. I can find no other, better reason for why someone would make this post. A legitimate sjw would have presented their position legitimately, or at least less bluntly. Male trolls tend to evade identification.

Perpetuating a lie in a sea of lies is just so much white noise.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.