[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solid books about the supernatural that are written as if "non-fiction"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

Solid books about the supernatural that are written as if "non-fiction"?
I'm currently reading pic related and it's good but of course it's a collection of fictional short stories.
>>
Anyone? I guess I didn't mean supernatural in a sense like mothman, ufo and ghost sitings, etc. but more so Occult and Pagan literature.
>>
File: 1500143861480.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1500143861480.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
Im working on writing historical/non-fiction horror with supernatural elements

Its surprisingly difficult desu
My basis is events like euro exploration of the new world, but certain elements of native folklore are real but they actually arent real, and are simply an elaborate manifestation of the explorers conscience after the maddening isolation, alienness of the world, constant danger, and guilt at the crimes they commit. A group psychosis of sorts. I never explicity state which side is real of course,
just give probably evidence for both
>>
>>10028422
COMMUNION of course
The Black Arts by Cavendish is a nice kind of 'encyclopedia' of sorts. He doesn't pass judgement on whether any of it is real, just how specific occultists did different rituals, the histories they drew from.
>>
Wonders of the Invisible World by Cotton Mather
>>
>>10028793
>>10028795
Thanks guys. I actually wasn't aware of either Communion or "The Black Arts." I was surprised to find a couple images on the occult in the sticky. I already had Foucault's Pendulum, Three Books of Occult Philosophy, and The Gnostic Gospels.
>>
File: walkencommunionpollock.png (2MB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
walkencommunionpollock.png
2MB, 1920x804px
>>10028859
Communion is a trippy book. It formed the basis for 90s UFO mythology, Strieber being an important figure in the 'movement' if you can call it that. It heavily inspired the pop culture version of UFOs, the X-Files took a lot from it.

There is also a great film version of Communion starring Christopher Walken.as Strieber Totally strange movie, I highly recommend it. Pic related, towards the end Walken and his wife are in an art museum (?) and rant about aliens while standing in front of Pollock and Katz paintings.
>>
>>10028839
Could only find this in PDF format atm. If I like it, I'll pick up a used copy sometime. I found a couple other books of the same title and one seemed to be influenced by Mather's work but it was a collection of short stories

>>10028923
Will definitely check out. I'm assuming its "Communion: A True Story"?
>>
File: Communion_book_cover.jpg (34KB, 313x510px) Image search: [Google]
Communion_book_cover.jpg
34KB, 313x510px
>>10029012
>"Communion: A True Story"
yep
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.