[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Emily Dickinson is actually considered to be part of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ayyyyyy.jpg (173KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyyy.jpg
173KB, 1200x800px
>Emily Dickinson is actually considered to be part of the western canon
>Her incredibly amateur juvenile poetry is seriously listed in the same breath as Shakespeare and Cervantes

How do you explain this /lit/? How did this happen?
>>
>>10027386
What's the problem?
In my senior cycle in secondary school here in Ireland, we studied Yeats, Heaney, Dickinson, Plath, and Larkin.

Reminder that because I am Irish, that is what peak schooling in literature looks like.
>>
>>10027403
Thank God for Heaney.
>>
>>10027386
her use of the em-dash—
cold, wry and knowing—
is unparalled, opie.

legitimately one of the few good women authors i've read. if being cool is all you care about, maybe you should go fuck yourself.
>>
>>10027494
This. It's all about the em dash. What isn't said.
Only poem that I can think of that uses them as well as her is Frost's home burial.
>>
>>10027386
>hurrr women
>why are more recent authors generally worse than less recent authors
>what is selection bias
>>
wasn't she a virgin?
maybe that's why you don't like her
>>
>>10027503
Confused OP probably bought a poorly edited book that got rid of the dashes. I've seen many such cases! Sad!
>>
>>10027403
We must have been in the same year. The Irish school system does suck. Teachers seem to get their priorities mixed up going in to the profession leading to anything from mini autocracies to laissez faire anarchy. Few are naturally able to impart knowledge effectively and fewer still are intellectual at all.
Granted the system makes it difficult, I still can't speak much Irish which is s embarrassing for me as it is for the system which puts more emphasis on arbitrary exercises and tests over actual tangible results.
The only way to fix it is to rape the profession's integrity in the public space in a real way, like what happened to the garda, and hope for change.
>>
Shut up about my waifu you vile swine
>>
>>10027559
No woman poet has been robbed as much as Emily! Very bad men silenced her and stole her voice! I will make sure she is made great again!!!!
>>
>>10027386
Her lyric poetry is better than Shakespeare's sonnets.
>>
>>10027386
Her poetry isn't juvenile. You are just a pleb.
>>
>>10027386
diversity quotas
>>
>>10027386
She's great, you fucking moron
>>
>>10027386
Positively goes to show that just about anyone can read her. To read her well, however, takes time and is probably near impossible for most non-native speaker\readers.
One great non-native reader was Paul Celan, subject of an unflattering thread yesterday. His translations, many of them, are actually quite good.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.