[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books should I study to perfect my understanding of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0083.jpg (69KB, 535x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0083.jpg
69KB, 535x446px
What books should I study to perfect my understanding of English grammar?
>>
A Latin grammar book. Then all English books.

Seriously, learning another language will teach you a lot about English grammar, and what is what, and what should go where. Then just read the best English authors, and imitate their style.

t. Benjamin Franklin
>>
>>10023147
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/grammar-and-syntax/cambridge-grammar-english-language

>>10023201
This is really good advice for learning a league past the fundamentals of English grammar, but OP wants to perfect it.
>>
>>10023201
Are you talking about contrastive analysis?
>>
>>10024775
No, simply knowing about the parts of speech, and their relations to each other.

Most native English speakers have no idea what a 'gerund' is, and would be completely baffled if it were explained to them. But, learning Latin, the gerund is explained easily and simply in the compartmentalised context of Latin.

Upon the student's returning to English, he can then use gerunds correctly and confidently.
>>
>>10026620
PS. Here's another example, in my post itself:
> if it were explained to them
Before Latin, I myself would not have known to use the imperfect of a verb in a contrafactual present tense apodosis to an 'if-then' construction; nor would I have had to words to describe such a construction.

Latin gives one this power, and, as a bonus, the ability to use Latin.
>>
File: 2nd amendment.gif (44KB, 827x628px) Image search: [Google]
2nd amendment.gif
44KB, 827x628px
>>10023201
learning Latin grammar is probably the best advice one could give you, opie. also, sentence diagramming is pretty fun, once you get the hang of it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.