[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, I'm tired of the smart and boring books. Recommend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1479093978236.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1479093978236.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
/lit/, I'm tired of the smart and boring books. Recommend me some fun and easy literature, which is both enjoyable and considered "good"
>>
>>
Kierkegaard's Either/Or.
really fun lit I swear.
>>
>>10021890
The Odyssey is pretty fun and easy.
>>
>>10021890
What do you consider "smart and boring books"?
>>
>>10021890
personally i enjoyed culture of critique
>>
>>>/sffg/
>>
>>10021905
The last few books I read were Kafka's Trial and Castle, and Sartre's Nausea. They were really enjoyable - especially The Castle, but also got boring, and hard to read.
>>
File: 1504119603782.jpg (58KB, 820x534px) Image search: [Google]
1504119603782.jpg
58KB, 820x534px
>>10021890
Aristophanes is full of dirty jokes and cheeky songs. He's a lot of fun, plus he's got a semi-political commentary that is still somewhat relevant (in the most basic way imaginable).

Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland comes to mind too. Fun silly adventures with a little eccentricity to it. Don't let anyone see you reading it though or they'll assume you're a fat girl who works at hot topic, dying their hair black and masturbates to Nightmare Before Christmas. Really wish that this book didn't give off that impression, but what can you do, humans are trash.

I think HP Lovecraft is fun and easy. Not in a literal sense, as in everyone is having a great time in his stories, but they are very accessible and often they're very short so you could finish a couple of his short stories in one sitting. His Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales collections from Golliancz are pretty good.

John Dies At The End is an unpretentious pulpy body-psychological-supernatural horror comedy adventure science fiction etc etc. A lot of cool ideas in the book and a lot of imaginative moments. I really want to re-read it actually, I had such a good time with it when I first read it. Avoid the film like the plague. The book isn't perfect but it offers a lot more than can be fit into a 90 minute movie.

If you're open to graphic novels, Jeff Smith's Bone is brilliant. An epic fantasy adventure almost as if it was retold through Tex Avery cartoons. Fun sense of humour, absurdity, character development, lore and even tragedy. Genuinely worth picking up the single volume tome. It's about 1400 or so pages but you'll be done with it within a week, I swear.

Some quick-fire recommendations for you to check out:

Graphic novels: Tintin, Calvin & Hobbes, Junji Ito's Tomie, Uzumaki, Gyo, Fragments of Horror, Azumanga Daioh, Bryan Lee O'Malley's Seconds, etc.

Novels: Audition (the less you know about it, the more effective it is), In The Miso Soup, The Golden Ass, Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, I Am A Cat, The Last Unicorn, Cloud Atlas, etc.

Non fiction/Autobiography: Miles Davis' Autobiography (very accessible, don't have to like jazz, dude was a cool motherfucker), Akira Kurosawa's Something Like An Autobiography, Herodotus' The Histories (genuine fun, mixture of ancient history and folklore/hear-say - has flying snakes and gold stealing ants), Ernest Shackleton's South: The Endurance Expedition (survivalist tale, exploration, failures and perseverance)
>>
>>10021890
check out the sffg containment thread
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.