[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently reading Sidgewick's The Methods of Ethics,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: thethinker.png (17KB, 314x480px) Image search: [Google]
thethinker.png
17KB, 314x480px
I'm currently reading Sidgewick's The Methods of Ethics, a great deal of which is devoted to arguing the existence of an Ultimate Good that serves as the basis for all philosophical investigation into ethics. Ethical theories that do not, at some level, reference a societal good or an individual good are inherently recursive. To elucidate this point, he critiques Plato's theory of justice, claiming it is circular logic.
>1. It is right to act rationally, and 2. It is right that the Lower parts of our nature should be governed by the Higher...we do not at first feel we are not obtaining valuable information. But when we find that "acting rationally" is merely another phrase for "doing what we see to be right," and again, that the "higher part" of our nature to which the rest are to submit is explained to be Reason, so that "acting temperately" is only "acting rationally" under the condition of special non-rational impulses needing to be resisted, the tautology of our "principles" is obvious.

In other words, it is right to act according to reason, yet acting according to reason is what's right. How would Plato respond?
>>
I don't know about this specific case, but I do know that the Ancients famously have a different conception of how willing, feeling, and thinking relate to one another. It's Christian and post-Christian philosophy (ourselves included) that thinks in terms of "being able to know what is right to do, but not do it." The Ancients thought that a faulty willing was a case of faulty reasoning. Proper knowledge would cause proper behaviour, and improper behaviour was caused by faulty knowledge.

We tend to think that knowing one shouldn't steal is in tension with various desires that urge us constantly to steal. The Ancients would say that if you really, really, really thought about it, and you were fully rational, you would simply not steal. It's a fundamental difference in the conception of human psychology.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.