[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/ I'm a newcomer to the world of literature and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Hello /lit/

I'm a newcomer to the world of literature and would love to find some material that is very thought provoking. I'm a university student and believe that I have the intellectual capacity for most subjects. Currently, I have been reading pic related and would love some recommendations of similar material!
>>
>>10012187
Start with the greeks
>>
>>10012187
i was looking into this a few weeks ago, but i jump from thing to thing very quickly, been playing with and researching yo-yos now, literally. gonna try to bring back that fad, fuck fidget spinners. i also recall V.
anyway, is it good? it seems good, there was something else i recall standing alongside it, something to do with faces. or masks, let me see if i can find it.
>>
>>10012187
ah found it, The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Those two were stuck together somehow during my research, maybe it will serve you, perhaps not in the same way as Jaynes, but it might amuse.
>>
File: 51yI5lXG7IL._SY346_.jpg (32KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
51yI5lXG7IL._SY346_.jpg
32KB, 231x346px
>>
>>10012255
>The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Can't hurt to atleast check it out!

As for The origin of consciousness, I believe it really depends on the reader. If you value the questions such as "why does consciousness exist?", you would enjoy this book. Being that it is relatively older, of course some of the ideas are wrong. Yet it's more the analytical thought process that really keeps me reading. The ability to bring these thoughts to paper, and still make them feel so powerful, and provoking is something I truly enjoy.

>>10012278
I'll check it out
>>
>>10012294
i read some half a paragraph and was impressed by the author's tact, and wanted to read more, but the gnatbrain pulled me away, the dastardly one. thank you for the review, it's appreciated. it confirms my hopes for the work. i'm not certain that the joseph campbell will fulfill the same thing, but i imagine it will at least entertain and ask some interesting questions.
>>
File: IMG_2002.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2002.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>10012187
>I'm a university student and believe that I have the intellectual capacity for most subjects
Non sequitur. Specialize or die off

Now I've projected my insecurities, welcome to /lit/! What are you studying in school?
>>
>>10012328
Currently working on a bachelor of science majoring in horticulture and minoring in geography
>>
File: IMG_2124.jpg (42KB, 323x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2124.jpg
42KB, 323x499px
>>10012338
This was given to me, haven't read it yet but people say it's good
>>
>>10012187
>thought provoking
>university student
pick one
>>
>>10012346
I've actually heard of that book, I'll definitely check it out!
>>
File: IMG_2125.jpg (91KB, 640x789px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2125.jpg
91KB, 640x789px
>>10012346
Now escape from here while you still have time and actually start reading
>>
Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson

and

The Beyond Mind Papers: Transpersonal and Metatranspersonal Theory. A critique of the systems of Wilber, Washburn and Grof and An Outline of the Dzogchen Path to Definitive True Sanity
>>
>>10012226
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.