[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you cope with the fact that one day you will die and all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 33

File: 12323535.jpg (9KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
12323535.jpg
9KB, 534x401px
How do you cope with the fact that one day you will die and all of this will come to an end?
>>
Throw yourself even harder into living and experiencing new things.
>>
>>10011855
Why though? Nothing will matter when the times comes.
>>
>>10011863

Everything matters because the time comes.
>>
>>10011863
But it will matter before that.
>>
>>10011864
This guy gets it.
>>
>>10011864
I think I love you
>>
>>10011853
Pizza
>>
>>10011864
Tell that to someone who watched their mother die and is starving.
>>
Do my best to ignore it. The sun is slowly burning out too so that adds to it, not even great works of art will survive. At the same time we are animals with pleasure centers in our brains, so try to take advantage of that with music, books, family, friends. Heroin and alcohol are just too scary.
>>
>>10011955
buddha managed it...they need to man up
>>
File: 1483307167001.jpg (166KB, 643x650px) Image search: [Google]
1483307167001.jpg
166KB, 643x650px
>>10011969
Some day there wont be anyone around to listen to music,appreciate a painting or read a book.
It creeps me the fuck out.
>>
>>10011864
woah...
>>
>>10011864
queue creshendo-core
>>
File: cut the funny business.png (405KB, 431x425px) Image search: [Google]
cut the funny business.png
405KB, 431x425px
There's, like, no point maaaaan. Let's do shrooms and pretend like we enjoy each other's company, dude. Let's go on Twitter and play like we're curiously aloof even though we're really just insecure. Haha bro we'll are suffering but like it's cool because we're self-aware.

>babby's first existential crisis
>>
>>10011853
Within most of our life times technology will exist that stops the decay of cells and expands the human life span indefinitely. Death is the biggest obstacle for human progress. After our brightest minds can live for thousands of years without aging a day we will progress forward in huge leaps never before seen in history. Most of the world's issues will become obsolete.
>>
>>10011853
Confirmed that you haven't actually read anything.
>>
I like the idea of life having closure. I want to be an old man on my deathbed and be able to look back on my life in its entirety and feel content.
>>
Pray for the truth, and for the faith to recognize and follow it, and time and death will lose their hold on you.
>>
>>10012009
Within the last 150 years we already HAVE progressed in a huge leap never before seen in history. Death is not an obstacle or even a limiter; nothing will ever prevent it. If you really think this it's because your life itself is an obstacle that prevents you from achieving what you really want to achieve.
>>
At Savatthi. Then King Pasenadi Kosala approached the Blessed One in the middle of the day and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him: "Well now, great king, where are you coming from in the middle of the day?"

"Just now, lord, I was engaged in the sort of royal affairs typical of head-anointed noble-warrior kings intoxicated with the intoxication of sovereignty, obsessed by greed for sensual pleasures, who have attained stable control in their country, and who rule having conquered a great sphere of territory on earth."

"What do you think, great king? Suppose a man, trustworthy and reliable, were to come to you from the east and on arrival would say: 'If it please your majesty, you should know that I come from the east. There I saw a great mountain, as high as the clouds, coming this way, crushing all living beings [in its path]. Do whatever you think should be done.' Then a second man were to come to you from the west... Then a third man were to come to you from the north... Then a fourth man were to come to you from the south and on arrival would say: 'If it please your majesty, you should know that I come from the south. There I saw a great mountain, as high as the clouds, coming this way, crushing all living beings. Do whatever you think should be done.' If, great king, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life — the human state being so hard to obtain — what should be done?"

"If, lord, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life — the human state being so hard to obtain — what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

"I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what should be done?"

"As aging and death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?
>>
>>10012019

"There are, lord, elephant battles [fought by] head-anointed noble-warrior kings intoxicated with the intoxication of sovereignty, obsessed by greed for sensual pleasures, who have attained stable control in their country, and who rule having conquered a great sphere of territory on earth; but there is no use for those elephant battles, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. There are cavalry battles... chariot battles... infantry battles... but there is no use for those infantry battles, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. In this royal court there are counselors who, when the enemies arrive, are capable of dividing them by their wits; but there is no use for those battles of wits, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. In this royal court there is abundant bullion and gold stored in vaults and depositories, and with such wealth we are capable of buying off enemies when they come; but there is no use for those battles of wealth, no scope for them, when aging and death are rolling in. As aging and death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

"So it is, great king! So it is, great king! As aging and death are rolling in on you, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

That is what the Blessed One said. Having said that, the One Well-Gone, the Teacher, further said this:

Like massive boulders,
mountains pressing against the sky,
moving in from all sides,
crushing the four directions,
so aging and death
come rolling over living beings:
noble warriors, brahmans, merchants,
workers, outcastes, & scavengers.
They spare nothing.
They trample everything.

Here elephant troops can hold no ground,
nor can chariots or infantry,
nor can a battle of wits
or wealth win out.

So a wise person,
seeing his own good,
steadfast, secures confidence
in the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha.

One who practices the Dhamma
in thought, word, & deed,
receives praise here on earth
and after death rejoices in heaven.
>>
>>10012009
Keep dreaming, buddy. Even if such a technology is developed in your lifetime, which it probably won't be, it would be decades before it was made available to plebs, if ever.

> After our brightest minds can live for thousands of years without aging a day we will progress forward in huge leaps never before seen in history.
Except we wouldn't be getting any new brightest minds because the only way to sustain an immortal population would be with strict population control.
>>
>>10012016
>Death is not an obstacle, nothing will ever prevent it
people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive, you're a fucking moron who needs to read up on modern science.
>>
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
“See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away.”
And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.”
>>
Put it off until I'm 80 or something, then you can think about shit like that.
>>
>>10012027
>let me insert my cynical and irrelevant opinion as if it's fact even though I know nothing about the subject
People said that microwaves would never be cheap enough for lower class people to own. Also through creative innovation the world can easily sustain a much larger population and we can go on to colonize other solar systems. You're just stuck in your ways, I don't blame you. Used to think the same asinine shit.
>>
>>10012042
Amen.
>>
>>10011853
Why even bother thinking about it? It's not like you'll ever experience anything other than life.
>>
>>10012051
Okay dude, far be it from me to insult your faith.
>>
>>10012038
>people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive
Holy shit you're retarded.
>>
>>10012012
Do you really think there will be closure? I can't imagine ever not wanting to be alive. Especially if everything ends.
>>
>>10012068
We are in the baby stages of human progress, keep an open mind. You might be surprised what becomes possible in your lifetime. There's billionaires racing to find a cure to aging. This technology when found could be so easy to produce that it would be impossible to not be available to the general public. As for the over population meme, it's more of a lack of innovation we have, not over population. Before the agricultural revolution for instance the Earth was not able to sustain 7 billion people. Through more technological advances we will be able to easily support a larger population and human progress will explode when our brightest scientists no longer die and rely on future generations to pick up after them. There's jelly fish that can only die from being killed by predators, their cells never decay. Like I said, keep an open mind. We are but cavemen in the face of what's to come.
>>
>>10012075
>Do you really think there will be closure?
Well, not if I die unexpectedly, but then it won't really be a problem, will it? People who are on death row usually make peace with their death by the time

> I can't imagine ever not wanting to be alive.
It's not that I don't want to live as long as possible, I just find something romantic about being at the end. Maybe it's just because it seems a long way off. But I like to think if I was at the end I would be more focused on appreciating the past than the non-existent future.
>>
>>10012072
how so?
>>
>>10012103
>fucking japs in the 1940s
>>
>>10012103
That statistic is mostly due to high infant mortality. Once you made it to adulthood you always had a decent chance of making it to at least 70. How could you fall for this meme? It's not like accounts of old people are uncommon in premodern times.
>>
>>10011853
If I knew the world was ending tomorrow, I'd do the same shit and the same shitposting I've always done.

Though it's more of a lazy thing than an artistic thing.
>>
>>10011955
Maybe he should be motivated enough to avoid such a fate himself
>>
>atheists
Cancer
>>10012009
>technology will exist...
Progressivist cancer.
>>
>>10011864
Damn...
>>
>>10012094
>human progress
Why do idiots think this meme is valid?
hurr durr muh unending progress
My fucking ass, read some literature on the subject instead of circle-jerking to science cult nonsense.
LE STARDUST LMAO XDDD
>>
>>10011864
yo.
>>
>>10012119
We can keep arguing if you want, I am not wrong lol. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-has-life-expectancy-changed-throughout-history-2015-6
>>
Dude the universe will die because of this thing called uh entropy. It always increases over time ... It's some law or something where everything trends toward compete equilibrium. So what's the point?
>>
>>10012138
>the world is flat!! LMAO LE ROUND WORLD XDDDD
that's you faggot
>>
Personally I can't wait. Well, I can, but honestly I don't feel like there's anything for me here but my family. Once we have grown old together I would welcome death.
>>
>>10012099
I think that's the thing. I don't appreciate the past like that. I like eating a big piece of pecan pie more than thinking about, even though thinking about it can be good sometimes.
>>
>>10012154
It is flat, why does that offend you?
>muh cancer epistemology
>>
>>10012147
None of that supports the assertion that "people 200 years ago thought living past 40 years old was impressive."
>>
>>10011955
that makes all the moments they lived with their mom more precious and meaningful

t. someone who has actually lost a family member
>>
This knowledge can be debilitating, and it's also pragmatically counterproductive. So what I do is keep at bay any notion of the transcendental, or any relationship between the pragmatic and the metaphysical. Basically it is complete denial of any meaning beyond what is most useful to me at the moment. Like right now, for example, I am masturbating into a sock (other hand), while ignoring any notion of what this action means for me morally, metaphysically, spiritually, etc.
>>
>>10012165
Flat earthers ought to be thrown off the edge of the planet. Bunch of faggots.
>>
File: chad.png (62KB, 288x207px) Image search: [Google]
chad.png
62KB, 288x207px
Imagine being such a meek beta that death actually frightens you.
>>
>>10012168
You've yet to provide any support of your assertion that I'm incorrect. Hell even in 1990 you were likely to not live past 50. Keep jacking off in your own mouth, faggot.
>>
A lot of friends,love, sex, and drugs. Of course all of that would mean nothing if it weren't interspaced with violence, fear and self loathing.
>>
>>10012162
But on the other hand, life isn't all pecan pies. Day to day living can actually be pretty dull, but when you look back on a time with nostalgia you're distilling it down to its best features and moments. Anyway, I'm not really trying to argue that reflecting on the totality of one's life is the best part of life, just that it seems like an experience worth having and that thought makes death less scary to me.
>>
>>10011864
nice
>>
>>10012174
Where are your limits? Say you began lusting for the murder of children and had a risk free method for doing the deed. Would you stay your innate morality?
>>
>>10012177
WAAAH HOW DARE HE CRITICIZE MY INCORRECT IDEOLOGY
>>
You don't. Just accept that this Universe is inherently evil, its fabric is suffering.
Living your whole life for nothing and being forgotten for all eternity is just the tip of the iceberg by the way.
Were you to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, you'd feel unending fear and despair for the rest of your life.
>>
>>10012205
>Were you to know how deep the rabbit hole goes, you'd feel unending fear and despair for the rest of your life.
t. Lovecraft character
>>
>>10012185
I can get along with that. Reflecting on it all at the end is a part of life too, or at least it can be.
>>
>>10012196
>whooshing this hard

Joke was a softball and you missed it. Is it tough being that retarded?
>>
>>10012261
>i made a bad joke so everybody else is le dumb xDDD
>>
>>10012212
Well, you asked for it.

The simple truth is that death is not the end. It would have been way, way too easy if it was that simple.

When you die, the subatomic particles that once made up your brain's frontal lobe - your consciousness, your memories, your very experience of existence - are recycled in a graveyard's small ecosystem. Whole groups of molecules that were once part of "yourself" are digested by maggots, worms, grasshoppers, roots of plants, and those groups of molecules are used as the fabric of these small creature's cells, including brain cells. Because we cannot feel the passage of time while we are dead - just like you immediately wake up after falling asleep without dreaming -, you will always "wake up" after dying, usually as a small creature like an insect, a frog or a bird, occasionally returning as a cow, gorilla or human. All of your memories, all of your experiences, from your previous lives, are always forgotten, and you always eventually return. And just as the vast majority of these creatures - from bugs to humans - experiences primarily suffering, you are also destined to experience suffering for all eternity. The molecules that once were part of your sentience will always be recycled through nature and eventually reach other sensorial organs of other organisms. And because you cannot experience time when dead, it will be as though you were constantly alive, constantly miserable and constantly suffering, with no brakes or intervals. You may laugh at me, but there are more than enough scientific experiments that track radioactively marked molecules in an ecosystem over time, showing that the molecules of a creature's brains will eventually end up being the molecules of a brain of other creatures, if not, at least be part of cells of other creatures. You'll always keep coming back. Eventually, this Universe's celestial bodies will all vanish and there will be nothing left but black holes, slowly erasing all information of the Universe through Hawking radiation decay, until there is nothingness left and another Universe can spawn from a quantum fluctuation and you have to go through it all over again.

Again, you may laugh at me, because you're dumb, because you don't understand what I'm even talking about, or simply because you live a comfortable life and don't care about these matters, but in that case, bear in mind: the absolute majority of living things in this planet don't afford the luxury to scratch their balls and shitpost on 4chan each day. They deal with suffering in their everyday lives. Humans and animals. Rich and poor. Smart and dumb. Tall and short. Ugly and handsome. Suffering is the fabric of this Universe and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to change it.
>>
>>10011853
Dharma, Buddha, Sangha.
>>
>>10012292
Eh, all of the atoms and cells from when a person is born are likely replaced by others by the time they die.
>>
File: IMG_1950.jpg (137KB, 698x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1950.jpg
137KB, 698x1024px
>>10012292
Best to go full on ascetic contemplative desu.
>>
>>10012321
what culture is that from?
>>
>>10011853
Feels good man. desu i want to get out now but I have too much stuff to do. Knowing that one day my body will force me to quit is a good feeling.
>>
>>10011864
Holy...
>>
>>10012319
That's all the more reason to feel anger at this Universe. See, you aren't even yourself. When you look back to the past and see yourself when you were 5, 10, 15, that's not really you. Hard to explain, but, essentially, memories have been planted in your brain and you believe previous persons were yourself but they were not. Look up "Last Thursdayism".
>>
>>10012323
Pic is Gautama Buddha during ascetic phase.
>>
I'm a pretty devout Catholic, so I'm convinced that there's a life after this one. What exactly it will be like I can't say, but I think it will be good.
>>
>>10012371
no shit i know what it is, i'm asking who made it, since it doesn't look like stereotyped oriental art, but it's obviously greco-bactrian after i thought about it for two seconds
>>
>>10011853
There is no death for the honorable
>>
You kidding? I can't wait till I die. Death is the sweet, glorious prize at the end of a mostly shitty but scenic road and I want to earn my death.
>>
Stoicism. Read Stoicism.

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.
>>
>>10011853
league of legends desu
>>
>>10011864
I want more.
>>
I drink way too much, have guilty casual sex, and read things that constantly remind me of my own mortality.

It's a veru healthy set of lifestyle choices.
>>
I had a minor manic attack, screamed at my cat for forty five minutes until the neighbors threatened to call the cops, then went out on the hunt for a good burger and a six pack of Coors Banquet.
>>
>>10012138
Perhaps you could make some recommendations of said literature, you know, in the name of progress.
Instead of acting like an elitist retarded child.
>>
>>10012490
>progress
Go back to /r/eddit
>elitism is bad
Sorry, you're the retarded child here.
>>
>>10012494
>in early 20s, possibly teens.

I'll forgive you my child.
>>
>>10012518
I'm nearly 30. You are the child.
>>
>>10011853
It's comforting. Life is absurd and often abstract, so it is good to know that at least the end doesn't change. It gives meaning by itself to what you do.
>>
>>10012537
In that case I feel sorry for you. Carry on my man-child.
>>
File: 1500207186758.jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
1500207186758.jpg
17KB, 207x253px
>>10012015
>>
File: 1478847498067.jpg (40KB, 480x550px) Image search: [Google]
1478847498067.jpg
40KB, 480x550px
>>10012464
>>
>>10012286
I think his joke was fine desu
>>
File: https___i.imgur.com_nM7kqct.jpg (187KB, 1439x1374px) Image search: [Google]
https___i.imgur.com_nM7kqct.jpg
187KB, 1439x1374px
>>10011853
>>
>>10011853
I look forward to the day of my death
>>
>>10011853
Just forget about it and be a hedonist
>>
>>10012700
>falling for jewish tricks

there's a reason the church made suicide a sin
>>
>>10011853
Because I will one day die and it will all come to an end. You cannot avoid that reality so why be upset by it?
>>
>>10012714
Exactly.
>>
>>10012709
>jewish tricks
You know suicide is considered a transgression in Judaism, right? You're not even supposed to grieve over a person who killed himself like you do with the other dead. And the command that is taken from the Torah as a prohibition to commit suicide is the one forbidding murder, one of the seven laws of Noah, that are give to the gentiles.
But I guess it more fun to meme "le juice" over everything.
>>
>>10011853
Jesus does the coping for me, I love him
>>
>>10011955
He should have eaten the mother
>>
>>10011864
>Time comes like ants -- one day when you wake up you have a surprise lol
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (55KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates.jpg
55KB, 431x450px
>Claiming to have knowledge on what death is

w e w some of you guys haven't read the greeks as I can see..
>>
>>10012347
Getting mad about the three marka of existence won't make it better.
>>
>>10012817
When he respawns he will have a surprise
>>
>>10012009
Does it matter? You are either mortal or immortal. It doesn't matter if you live 10 years or 10 thousands years, as long as you die in the end.
Immortality will never be possible. Doesn't matter if something keeps you young forever, as long as someone can shoot you in the brain. The thing that keeps you alive can die, and you die together with it. I don't know if there's another world besides this one, but immortality could certainly exist only at the other one at best.
Never say never - for everything except immortality.

Anyway, I'll drop the famous meme here
>go to r9k frustrated mid 20s kissless lonely virgin
>>
>>10012817
>a fictional character can understand what death is
>>
>>10012063
Because of suffering?
Pleasure and suffering both exist.
>>
>>10012461
What if you are blind?
>>
>>10012775
Boy surprise sure in store for him when awaken
>>
>>10012817
Does knowing and reading about death make you immortal? No.

>>10012461
Pretty sure the famous classic writers who offed themselves had read that book.
>>
Death is our destiny.
>>
Temporary pleasure makes you forget about the existential dread. That's how it has always been.
That's why 70% of the population who kill themselves are males. It's undeniable. People enjo getting attention. Women do get attention most of the time.
>>
>>10011853
Cope? Shit. Usually that's how I keep from screaming.
>>
>>10013110
>tips fedora
>>
>>10012000
really nice figures desu
>>
>>10011853
By growing out of adolescence.
>>
>>10012570
>anybody i dont le like is le man le child xdd lelele
>>10012461
stoicism is cancer for pathetic children
>>
>>10012344
I want more
>>
Teenager's rambling ahead:
This may sound funny, but I think classical music and live theatre made me face and overcome the fear of death and demise in general.
Today we by default listen to pop music and watch movies, both of which are recorded exactly and preserved forever. A song's waveform and a film's sequence of images are incorruptibly stored on your hard drive. They are permanent. But in classical music and theater, what is permanent? Only abstract dots and squiggles and a text. Neither of those is music or theater, they are only a model for the true realization of the piece. The reality of these art forms is necessarily ephemeral. A tone decays within a moment, a theme might be performed literally two or three times during a piece, and when the piece is over it is over forever. That musician, on that instrument, will never again perform that same sequence of sounds. (They can try to play the piece again, but the unintended nuances cannot be replicated.) This is particularly strongly felt when the composition is by a lesser-known composer, and it has never been recorded. So what should I do? Pull out my phone and take a shitty lo-fi recording of the music, anxiously trying not to make any sounds so as not to mar the music? I literally did that once. It was pointless. The sound is ugly loud mono, it could never recreate that beauty and almost theatrical quality of the actual string quartet I saw and heard. The piece was realized, I experienced it and that is everything there is.

It's difficult to put into words and explain rationally, but now I am more content with passage of time. It is a mere fact. The past is past. At this moment only I am, with my will, perception and emotions. That is all there truly is. Embracing this fact gave me peace that escapism and distraction cannot.
>>
File: 1499222611595.jpg (24KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1499222611595.jpg
24KB, 500x384px
I was dead an eternity before i was born so I think I can handle being dead for an eternity after I die.
>>
File: proof.png (8KB, 277x271px) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
8KB, 277x271px
>>10011853
>fact
*possibility
>>
>>10011853
Cope with it? Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.
>>
>>10013805
Funny thing is, it's the recordings that are more fragile, more abstract, requiring complex machinery which will be sustained for centuries to come to be experienced while classical and folk music/theatre live on as traditions in generations of craftsmen to come. Now think about what that does to your metaphor because I don't know.
>>
>>10013838
*which will NOT be sustained for centuries to come
>>
>>10012181
https://ourworldindata.org/child-mortality/
40% of people died before they were 5. Assuming life expectancy was 35, it's literally just math.
(0.4)(2.5) + (0.6)(everyone else's life expectancy) = 35
Everyone else's life expectancy is 56.7 in this case.
>>
>>10013838
Doesn't affect it too much, I think, because the files are still practically eternal from our point of view. With some effort, they will be preserved for centuries, their possible demise is way too far in the future to be meaningful to us. On the other hand, a singular performance of a play or composition is going on right before you, which forced me to face the fear more directly.
>>
File: r6Vk1_s-200x150.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
r6Vk1_s-200x150.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>10011864
>>
>>10012181
>Hell even in 1990 you were likely to not live past 50.
Stop posting.
>>
The moment in the future when everything will end for me has absolutely no bearing on what I'm doing now. Time only travels forwards
>>
>>10011853
I don't cope with it. Now that I'm approaching 30, and beginning to see fine lines on my face, the reality of death and decay is hitting me square in the chest. It's incredible how oblivious we are as teenagers and into our early 20s. Death seems distant and intangible, and then the years pass, the wrinkles begin to form, and you start to experience real time decay, mortality in motion. It's terrifying.
>>
>>10012261
>baseball parabolas

golly gee americans...
>>
File: IMG_5223.png (897KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5223.png
897KB, 1136x640px
>>10011853
>>
File: 1481056812522.jpg (536KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1481056812522.jpg
536KB, 2048x1152px
>>10014715
>>
>>10011864
Birth of a new meme?
>>
File: 1481058510445.png (2MB, 1362x765px) Image search: [Google]
1481058510445.png
2MB, 1362x765px
>>10014719
>>
File: 1481064015219.png (2MB, 1362x765px) Image search: [Google]
1481064015219.png
2MB, 1362x765px
>>10014723
>>
File: 1481064971737.png (2MB, 1361x764px) Image search: [Google]
1481064971737.png
2MB, 1361x764px
>>10014724
>>
>>10014689
>approaching 30
You're still in your 20s, you're not old, and in all likelihood unless you live somewhere like Sierra fucking Leone or you're a hardcore substance abuser, you can reasonably expect to have another 40 years of life, potentially more if you live well or just have good genes like George Burns who supposedly smoked cigars and drank booze daily yet made it to 100 or so years old. The "reality of death and decay" isn't hitting you square in the chest, it sounds like a fucking second wave of angst.

Also, wrinkles? Buddy, I'm on my way to 30 as well, and I just had a look in the mirror. I have to squint my eyes in order to get wrinkles. The closest I can find to natural wrinkles are some BARELY noticeable ones on my forehead. That's it, and it's nothing.

Being in our 20s is not terrifying. Being in our 30s is going to be awesome. How do I know? I worked with so many cranky old fucks in their 50s and 60s and they would all GLADLY laugh in your youthful fucking face for DARING to suggest "the reality of death and decay is hitting me square in the chest". While they laugh, they would actively be fighting the urge to throttle you for your ignorance. I'm not going to let the word 'old' come anywhere near me until I'm at least hitting 40, and even then it's still relative. I worked with a guy who was in his mid-60s, an Englishman from Liverpool, relatively thin but stout, still a lot of colour in his hair of which he still had quite a bit, and generally after work you could expect to see him in jeans with a jean jacket, pretty cool. At lunch he'd usually be seen eating nuts and vegetables. This man took care of himself, and in spite of being incredibly young (within 3 years of finishing high school) I simply could not keep up with him. He was also highly respectful, and as eager to teach as he was to listen, even to listen to a kid like I had been. He would hold up his age and say "you're just a kid, obviously I know better", he would go by facts. I'll never forget when I once said it had been "ages" since I had done a specific thing. I can't remember what that thing was, and he replied with a laugh that it hadn't been ages. Maybe it was a song on the radio that I hadn't heard for like 4-5 years, I don't know, but he has a far better grasp of what 'ages' is. He had been a kid and teen in the 50s, partied in the 60s and 70s, did drugs, probably fucked an obscene amount of 'birds' as it were, to use English slang. He had been through the 80s, John Lennon killed, Soviet-Afghan war, Berlin Wall fell, and then finally early on in my own existence he had seen the end of a war that had been going on for the vast majority of his life; the Cold War.

You know nothing of death and decay. If you're in your 20s, most of the world still just sees us as kids, and I'm bloody glad of it. I'm still enjoying my youth, and if you have any sense, you should too. Pursue what you love, a passion, or regret for the rest of your life that you never tried.
>>
File: 1481065229559.png (827KB, 684x738px) Image search: [Google]
1481065229559.png
827KB, 684x738px
>>
File: 1501096330272.jpg (24KB, 537x370px) Image search: [Google]
1501096330272.jpg
24KB, 537x370px
>>10014728
>>10014724
>>10014723
>>10014719
>>10014731
Aren't you supposed to be rotting in a coffin Mr. Wallace?
>>
File: 1505162469626.png (1MB, 1110x850px) Image search: [Google]
1505162469626.png
1MB, 1110x850px
>DUDE WE'RE GOING TO DIE SO NOTHING MATTERS
>WHY EVEN BOTHER!
>>
>>10014729
he WOULDN'T hold up his age and say "you're just a kid, obviously I know better".
>>
>>10014740
LOL BUT ALSO SUNSETS, REMEMBER HOW PRETTY SUNSETS AND BEACHES ARE?? XD SURELY THAT WILL DETER ANYONE USING THE MESSAGE TO JUSTIFY SOMETHING HORRIBLE
>>
I don't desu entropy is the all consuming monster and can't stop thinking/panicking about it
>>
>>10014750
NOTHING
MATTERS
WHY
BOTHER
>>10014750
>>
>nihilism
triple Z desu
>>
>>10011853
you can't perceive yourself being dead so you might as well not be
>>
>>10014740
because there is pleasure in life
>>
>>10014754
You worrying about entropy is like the first single-celled organisms worrying about the construction of efficient roads in a city environment, it's a problem so far in the future that humanity will either be extinct or evolved/transformed into something completely foreign to us.
>>
There is no point to worrying about death because it is inevitable. You need to let these unnecessary thoughts go.

Practice mindfulness meditation to train your brain to do this.
>>
This life sucks so I don't death is THAT bad, but I would rather live tbqh
Now I am alive and I focus on the problems of being alive. I will worry about death when I die.
>>
>>10011853
>How do you cope
I don't have to, it just feels natural to me.
>>
I just want to kiss a girl
Or hold hands.
>>
File: 1503457505525m.jpg (112KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1503457505525m.jpg
112KB, 1024x684px
>It is a lovely thing to live with courage, and die leaving an everlasting fame
>>
>>10012473
Dude you are living my dream life....
>>
File: 1501323767532s.jpg (7KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
1501323767532s.jpg
7KB, 250x243px
>>10011864
This.

Things are only valuable because they are finite. No one would value gold if it were as plentiful as dirt.

In the same way, If we had no end to our life, what value would life have? The vast majority of us would spend literal hundreds of years fucking around doing nothing of value, because the end will never come. But because we are blessed with mortality, we have a time constraint in which we must act in order to experience life and become fulfilled, and so a motivator of death drives us to do so.

It is because life ends that it has value, and is worth living.
>>
File: 1490702584302.jpg (7KB, 141x185px) Image search: [Google]
1490702584302.jpg
7KB, 141x185px
>>10012094
>>10012138

Two kinds of people.

Those that build civilization, and those that don't.
>>
File: images (38).jpg (38KB, 358x411px) Image search: [Google]
images (38).jpg
38KB, 358x411px
>>10012138
>>
>>10015552
How can you bear being so small in mind?
How can you argue in favor of that which is forced upon you? You myopic, colossal idiot.

How small you must be to ever be contend. How can anyone ever have enough?
What will your last day look like? The night you decide will be your last? What will you say to yourself? What will you feel?
You are already dead. You never cared what the next day might bring.
Existence is but a tool for you to find meaning. And it is wasted on you.
You disgust me.
>>
File: 1468988772295.jpg (372KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1468988772295.jpg
372KB, 500x750px
>tfw you realize suicide is as pointless as living
>>
File: 1501323844318.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1501323844318.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
>>10015806
>How can you bear being so small in mind?
How can you argue in favor of that which is forced upon you? You myopic, colossal idiot.
>ad hom

What exactly is your point, anon?

>How small you must be to ever be content. How can anyone ever have enough?
>strawman

I never said I was content, or had enough. Despite this, I still try to be. Is that wrong?

Speak plain english. Otherwise you just come off as a pseudo intellectual trying to sound smart, yet has no real point to begin with. Stop writing like a poet and start writing like a academic, especially if you are going to criticize an ideology.
>>
>>10015914
Death is the great nothing that will consume us all. Render every thought, every memory, every feeling, every thing obsolete. With every death a world dies, never to return.

Things are not only valuable because they are finite? Why would they be?
What is this 'value' you speak of? Do you necessarily need it?

If life never ended, maybe it would have no value, but so what?
I contend that life would have all the more meaning.
>blessed with mortality
You can't be serious, but in my fantastical utopia suicide is of course a welcome option for the likes of you.

>motivator, become fulfilled, bla
Ridiculous. Hamsters in a wheel tumbling into a fire.

>I never said I was content, or had enough. Despite this, I still try to be. Is that wrong?
Of course that isn't wrong, but we're all in this position not out of choice. It annoys me when people try to pretty up this most surreal injustice.

There's just so much to do already in this world. 'Enough' for 'too many' lifetimes. In a world withou death the options would only increase, yet here you are giving honor to death.

If this thread is still up I might reply later.
I need some sleep, death's little bastard child.
>>
>>10011864
Is this bait? What a trite observation, this board is going to shit.
>>
>>10016024
>atheism
>>
>>10015571
>>10015578
MUH FUGGIN WHITE CIVILIZASHUN!!!
>>
>>10016024
>>10016024
>Death is the great nothing that will consume us all

No one knows that for sure, anon. Modern science and the entirety of human knowledge cannot begin to explain some of the most fundamental questions about our universe. Even still, The collection of human knowledge must be a pin prick in all knowledge, yes? Yet you have the audacity to say, with your comparatively vastly limited viewpoint of a single person, that there is nothing beyond death.

Although, this lack of knowledge is all the more daunting to me.

>Things are not only valuable because they are finite? Why would they be?

Everything that has any value in this existence is in some degree of demand. I was proposing a parallel towards life. Although, under your premise of death being the true end, nothing ultimately has intrinsic value. Though, under that premise.

>If life never ended, maybe it would have no value, but so what?
>I contend that life would have all the more meaning.

From your apparently materialistic viewpoint, whether or not we are able to live forever has no intrinsic value, and is rooted in base human pleasure that is derived from curiosity and instinctual avoidance of death. And that pleasure is reducible to chemicals in your brain. So really, what does it matter if we do not die?

My viewpoint is, whether or not it suits us, we have an allotted time here in this existence, and we do not surely know why or how we came to be. We can choose, to lie down and whine like a dog about things that we never understood in the first place, ultimately wasting the limited time we have. Or, we can seize life with the vigor that distinguishes our kind, in an attempt to better understand our place in this existence, if there is one at all.

>There's just so much to do already in this world

I disagree, 90 years is a vastly long time to be alive and experience everything humans can experience. If you choose to waste that time dwelling by yourself, that is your fault, not that of life's finite nature.

I do not welcome death, I fear it, just as you do. But it is because I fear it that I try to live as much as I can in the present, appreciating each moment that passes because it will never, ever come again. Ultimately, I think the difference between you and I is most likely seeing the glass as half full, or half empty. I see the vast possibilities and mysteries of life that lie before me, and you see only the end and nothing else. You are blinded by your fear of the unknown.

>death's little bastard child

Ironic since the prospect of death reduces you to pessimism. I do not love death, I just appreciate that life has an end.

If I had more time, I would have made it shorter.
>>
>>10016271
>If I had more time I would have made it shorter

This is in relation to my wall of text, in case you were wondering.
>>
File: 1491282695073.jpg (144KB, 618x597px) Image search: [Google]
1491282695073.jpg
144KB, 618x597px
>>10016133
Bait?

If not then why aren't you living in the congo in a mud hut? Wouldn't want any bad white civilization right? Dickhead.
>>
>>10016286
burka burka anything i dont like is BAIT FUGGIN DESTROYIN WHITE CIVILIZASHUN
IF WE GET ONE MORE MONKEY PRESIDENT, WHITE CIVILIZASHUN IS OVER! WHITE GENOCIDE!
READ MORE OF MY COMMENTARY ON /R/THE_DONALD
>>
>>10011864
/lit/.. easy on the surprises
>>
File: `~`.jpg (26KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
`~`.jpg
26KB, 500x354px
>>10016291
Stop baiting. Stop it.

Or I'll insult you with image macros
>>
File: 1490040931965.jpg (54KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1490040931965.jpg
54KB, 433x469px
>>10016335
>any posts i dont like are bait
That's not an image macro, retard.
This is
>>
>>10011864
Now I'm trying to meditate on existence if it lasted eternally.. what would matter?
>>
>>10013117
you actually haven't read plato since socrates in the apology acknowledges that he has no knowledge of what comes after death
>>
>>10016349
K
>>
>>10011955
Option A: blow all the effort your ancestors put in by being an angsty faggot and living a shit life

Option B: go try and live a not shit life
>>
>>10016271
My undying demand is of continued existence. Why do keep throwing around definitions of value? It bores me to death. Heh.

Really, examine your values. The way you talk about value, purpose, meaning it makes them seem more like shackles than anything.

>no one knows that for sure
Yawn. Of course I will be pleasantly surprised if life goes on after death and I will rejoice. What will you do? No end, no limited supply of things. You'll dwindle under the weight of your sudden worthlessness?
>pleasure is reducible to chemicals in your brain
>thus it does not matter if we live
I don't follow. Of course, us just being chemical reactions, puppets of our material limitations, is a sad state of affairs, maybe. I'd love to be an incorporeal eternal lightbeing of some sort. Purely autonomous, really free... but that's silly, now.

My problem is, that we are FORCED into judging time spent as either wasteful or valuable. It's sad.
'90 years to experience everything'. Ever read a good book that changed your mind? With infinity at your disposal you can really dive into it. Trace all its influences back from the Greeks, study the history, read everything else from that author to get as close as possible to a complete understanding of a work.
You could do that for everything. Books, movies, games.
Let's talk real immortality - the impossibility of death. Think of the new possibilities you could experience because death is not an issue anymore. Time no constraint, no worries, no limits anymore.
You don't have to decide between spending time with your family, entertaining yourself, learning a trade, fulfilling yourself - there would be no pressure at all.
Think of the narratives that can in a universe of immortals, the stories, the experiences.
The technical progress you would eventually have, the prosperity AND you would get to experience it all.

Anyways, so you do fear death. So do you live life to the fullest, which is commendable. I try to do the same, believe it or not. But not because I delude myself into thinking that it's some grand gift to be limited by such agony.
You recognize death in some way, but you do not have the guts to condemn it. You have Stockholm syndrome.

I think I may have thought like you before, or somewhere close. I was brought up catholic, I eventually resolved my fear of death with Epicurus's little mantra.
Eventually I stared into the abyss. I know it sounds clichee, but it fits very well. I can't go back and I'm unsure if I'd want to.
Life IS an incredibly sad state of affairs, I'm aware of that and just trying to carve out my little niche of happiness while I can.
>>
How do you cope that at least at some point in your life you will experience a maximum physical pain (while dying, body's last struggle for survival).
>>
>>10018067
That isn't something I know at all. That's something you just completely made up. Prove to me that death is inherently painful
>>
File: forest tradition.jpg (82KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
forest tradition.jpg
82KB, 768x512px
>>10011853
Realise anatta.
>>
>>10018067
It's actually the opposite, the body releases maximum feel good chems at death. Enjoy your opiate dmt speedball.
>>
>>10018074
Lets make it easier, tell me how do imagine dying without any pain?
>>10018084
What causes those chems, where do they come from?
>>
>>10018089
>tell me how do imagine dying without any pain?
The same way a TV gets turned off without feeling any pain. Everything probably seems to fade. I don't know but neither do you. Don't talk out of your ass

I also really don't have the patience for whatever socratic path you seem to be preparing to take me down. Just cut to the chase
>>
>>10018097
>TV gets turned off without feeling any pain
TV won't feel pain even if you hit it. TV doesn't care if it gets turned off. Survival instict does care if a creature gets turned off.
>>
>>10018123
My great great uncle died three days ago, one week after a failed suicide attempt. The old coot was 99, and wasn't depressed, just ready to go. Did he feel survival instinct?

Don't play armchair biologist. You're going to say stupid things and you're going to be called out on it
>>
>>10018089
>What causes those chems, where do they come from?
Your body, innit?

You are chemicals.
>>
File: IMG-20170321-00308.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170321-00308.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>10011853
I pay attention to the things i like and hug my doggo
>>
>>10016485
>MUH ANCESTORS
WHITE CIVILIZASHUN!
WE WUZ VIKANGZ!
>>
>>10011853
cute bitches and catchy tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZKqhXCv5c
>>
>Cope
What is there to cope with?

I had been not-existing for uncountable years before I was born, it's not so horrid to think that some day I'm going to not-exist again.
>>
Think not of death as an end, but as a beginning; that this life, with its temptations and challenges, and seeming absurdity, is the refining of the soul so that one may be with God in health, and not in suffering.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.