[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly constitutes "good" writing? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

What exactly constitutes "good" writing? I don't read a lot so I want to know what good reading looks like. Can you post an excerpt that you think is an example, and why you think it is?(and if necessary what is going on/ what it means because I'm a brainlet)
>>
>Waking up to a loud crash rarely means something good is happening. It’s never “CRASH! Mom made pancakes!” or “CRASH! We decided to adopt a Golden Retriever!”
>>
>>10010904
This is an example of good writing.

I dined with Bugs on the terrace of his house, in the daylight. "There is a charming quality to being a maroon, is there not," he said to me, "in this forest; for holes are penetrated by hunters with speech impediments, a Fudd whom you will run from in time asserts that there is no peace in allowing rabbits to be happy and gay. And to this, Doc, there comes in all our lives a time when the weary eyes of prey can endure but one kind of light, the light inside the hole I can no longer fit into."

I listened to Bugs' words which always seemed to be so pleasing; but I was preoccupied with his girth. "Bugs," I stated, "perhaps you should rediscover the importance of fasting."
>>
>>10010925
Did you actually copy and past your submission to the rewrite thread?
What a prick
>>
>>10010904
>A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, further westwards, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling too upon every part of the lonely churchyard where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
>>
>>10011450
cringe :)
>>
>>10011450
Fuck, that's awful. I googled it and apparently Joyce wrote it so now I feel like a pleb, but it's just awful. Sometimes I wonder if you all pretend to like Joyce as some kind of joke.
>>
>>10010904
1. Comprehensible sentences and paragraphs
2. Desire vs Conflict
3. Cool cover for my fellow coffee drinkers to see
>>
>>10010904
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.
>>
>>10010904

Can translated works even be considered "good" writing? I mean they're usually so flat and toneless because the goal is to communicate clearly what it says. If it's not written in the original language it probably doesn't have very inspiring prose.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.