[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ h343 what are some good non fiction books having to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: car.jpg (169KB, 916x615px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
169KB, 916x615px
/k/ h343

what are some good non fiction books having to do with or about a war?
>>
File: hqdefault[2].jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[2].jpg
27KB, 480x360px
dispathches by michael herr.

fantastic account of the vitnam v american conflict.

George Orwell - homage to catalonia
>>
File: Kaboom_paperback_cover.jpg (15KB, 258x387px) Image search: [Google]
Kaboom_paperback_cover.jpg
15KB, 258x387px
>>
>>
>>10010588
These
Herr is the meme Vietnam book but there's a reason for that. Kubrick fucked up so horribly considering the potential source material right in front of him.
>>
>>10010578
>>
>>10010578
Not exhaustive but a good overview of what I'm familiar with.

Ancient:
Anabasis
History of the Peloponnesian War
Commentaries on the Gallic War
>I regard these as being the three key contemporary texts on ancient warfare in the Greco-Roman world.

The American Civil War:
James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom
>The Civil War continues to be a divisive subject, but probably the best one-volume history.
US Grant's Autobiography
>The greatest military memoir since Caesar.
The Cavalry at Gettysburg
>Kind of an oddball choice, but it's actually a pretty good book not just for the battle but for understanding the use of cavalry in the gunpowder age.

World War I:
The Storm of Steel
Rommel's Attacks
Tanks in the Great War
>Excellent tactical memoirs. Storm of Steel is more personal; the other two are rather technical in nature.

The First World War by John Keegan
>Pretty good entry-level overview

World War 2:
The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson
>America in the Western Theater

With the Old Breed
>America in the Pacific Theater

Lost Victories
>Be careful with this one, since it's basically a huge excuse by a German field marshal, but it gives you both a pretty good taste of the Eastern Front as well as being a key text in the post-WW2 mythology of German military prowess.

Iron Eagle
>Biography of Curtis LeMay, which also gives a pretty good rundown on the development of air power.

Korean War
The Korean War by Max Hastings
>This is what you want on the Korean War, more detailed histories exist if some aspect catches your fancy.

Vietnam

Street Without Joy
>The French in Vietnam

We Were Soldiers
>Good tactical memoir, but doesn't deal with the strategic situation at all

The Best and the Brightest
>What the fuck was everybody thinking?

Dispatches
>This book is largely responsible for the aesthetics of Vietnam in the public mind, IMO.

Hanoi's War
>Author is obnoxious, but the best overview of what the war looked like from the NVN perspective

Modern Wars:
Black Hawk Down?
It's too soon to tell, sorry. Dispatches wasn't published until 1977, and it has little value as a history. Either read lame memoirs, blatantly partisan screeds, or talk to a veteran, I guess.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.