[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw prose is awful and choppy and awkward Tbh, I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1424235507745.png (45KB, 917x857px) Image search: [Google]
1424235507745.png
45KB, 917x857px
>tfw prose is awful and choppy and awkward
Tbh, I want to just give up. How do I attain a prose style that is clear, lucid, and clean, but without choppiness and awkward stops.
>>
>>10007310
Write like me.
>>
>>10007310
Embrace it. Have your prose narrated from the PoV of a character that IS awkward, has difficultly describing things, "choppy", and detached from the world.
>>
>>10007310
Writing is an art. Do painters give up when they barely even know how to hold the brush, let alone paint?
>>
Practice, practice, practice.

People don't know how to play the piano/speak a language/etc out of the womb. It takes hours, weeks, years of practice.

Knowing that you have shit prose means you at least have decent taste and can recognize your own ineptitude. Use that as a baseline for improvement and try comparing your writing after you've written 1000 more pages.
>>
>>10007310
Your writing is fat and out of shape. You need to write a lot more. Then spend some time editing what you've written. Then write more, with a more attentive ear. Then edit more. Eventually the fat will come off and Staceys will start noticing you.
>>
>>10007514
this is a genuinely good idea
or a very obvious answer that i'm surprised hasn't been suggested yet is to read more authors with a prose style resembling the one u want
>>
>>10007310
Read it out loud.
>>
>>10007310
Record and listen to actual conversations for how they ebb and flow, and try to figure out the nuances.
>>
Dude I love dissecting rabbits. WOOT.
>>
>>10007310
Just keep writing. You'll get better with practice.
>>
If you want it to improve, stop calling it "prose".
>>
>>10008339

This. Pick a couple of authors you like and literally copy their books by hand.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.