[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok kids, where do I start with Nietzsche? I know this is awfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg (19KB, 219x298px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg
19KB, 219x298px
Ok kids, where do I start with Nietzsche? I know this is awfully vague but I don't know anything about anything, I just want to start.
>>
As good as any place. Unless you want to be a Nietzsche scholar or something.
>>
>>10007166

The Birth of Tragedy -> The Gay Science -> On the Genealogy of Morals -> Beyond Good and Evil
>>
>>10007194
>>10007221
thanks. nothing too crazy, I just want to see what he's about, and then take it from there.
>>
Why is Nietzsche so popular with young women?
>>
>>10007250
Same reason he's popular with young men.
>>
>>10007194
Nietzsche wrote "To Philosophize With a Hammer" as a concise introduction to his own philosophy. He considered "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" as his masterpiece. "Beyond Good and Evil" was written specifically to elucidate the themes of TSZ in a more formal matter.

"The Will to Power" is a series of notes compiled and rewritten by his sister after he went insane. She was a Christian, German nationalist and anti-semite, very contrary to Nietzsche himself – she used his name further her own propaganda. Later in life he came to dislike "The Birth of Tragedy".
>>
>>10007166
Plato
>>
>>10007271
>Later in life he came to dislike "The Birth of Tragedy"
Would you mind elaborating? Did he disagree with the content or is it too clumsy for his message?
>>
>>10007166
I started with The Birth of Tragedy and went up chronologically. Nietzsche is one of the few authors whose entire ouvre is worth reading.

Careful with the translations. Kaufman is always a safe bet.

>>10007250
He's the fucking bomb, that's why.

>>10007299
Read the introduction he later added to it, ''An Attempt at Self-Criticism.'' It has mostly to do with the delivery of it, the prose style which was considered too shy by later Nietzsche, and a few flukes, not showing proper evidence for some claims, etc.
>>
>>10007250
look a the stache - do you need to ask
>>
>>10007321
>Read the introduction he later added to it, ''An Attempt at Self-Criticism.'' It has mostly to do with the delivery of it, the prose style which was considered too shy by later Nietzsche, and a few flukes, not showing proper evidence for some claims, etc.

Other than that his friendship with Wagner was stronger at the times The Birth Of Tragedy came out, and the book has many references to the musicians' writings.
>>
File: 1503755545469.jpg (504KB, 1031x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1503755545469.jpg
504KB, 1031x1046px
>>10007166
>>
>>10007166
>where do I start with Nietzsche?
Preferably the trash.
>>
>>10007166
One thing is certain, don't start with Thus spake Zarathustra.

Human, all too Human is a good choice, the main influences being Paul Ree and the french moralists. Even if you don't know them you will have a book that covers a lot of topics in a Nietzschean way and that is rather independent. He later changes, with Zarathustra and the later works. Ecce Homo can be seen as a small recapitulation of everything said, so it can be a good choice since its a short book.

I would still recommend the chronological order, I can't really think of anything better, if you are really serious and have the time to go through the whole corpus of his work. Otherwise it might be good to start with some secondary literature and then you can mostly dive in anywhere. I'd recommend Nietzsche by Rüdiger Safranski. Don't know if there is a English translation.

Another great way to understand Nietzsche if you are serious about it is to read Brobjer's "Nietzsche's Philosophical Context" which is basically a book about the books that Nietzsche has read. You will gain a lot more understanding by reading some favourite works of Nietzsche like Lange's "Geschichte des Materialismus..."; Kuno Fischer and so on.

And unironically if you know nothing about the Greeks you won't understand Neetzsch.
>>
>>10007166

BGE > GoM > TSZ
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.