[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to write a short story. Kind of a test run to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1502902957159.jpg (14KB, 325x236px) Image search: [Google]
1502902957159.jpg
14KB, 325x236px
I'm about to write a short story. Kind of a test run to get the creative juices going and see if I'm capable of writing something good.

Was going to make a lovable thief/bandit type of main character and I ran into a bit of a problem. How does I make him lovable? I thought /lit/ would be well aware of understanding reader relations to characters.

Any advice, suggestions, or book examples of the lovable thief/charmer archetype?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0IVvxrmI44
>>
>>10004235
I e never seen any of the Shrek movies but based off of that clip are you suggesting that I should make him a bit of a dofus?

I do actually kind of like that idea. I just realized that you guys probably get questions like this occasionally, forgive me for not following protocol and if I posted this in the wrong place.
>>
>>10004230
>How does I make him lovable?

you can't. Thieves place their welfare ahead of yours. they are inherently assholes. not even Jack Vance could make Cugel loveable.
>>
>>10004230
First off, it takes years to write something good, but don't worry if it doesn't come out like Nabokov on your first try.
As for the likability thing, maybe have him be generous with his spoils, like a Robin Hood type or like he has kids to feed. Barring that, give him a tragic story where he gets raped as a child or something. I dunno, most people don't really like thieves.
>>
>>10004230

Put him in a situation where he was wrongly accused and then essentially forced to do menial work. Make it known only to the reader that he's not ACTUALLY a thief. If he does steal, arrange it so he has some sort of redemption arc, or like a twist where he never actually stole anything.
>>
>>10004728
Read Luigi Vampas part in the count of monte cristo. He is a thief so you don't have to avoid that altogether but he is still cool
>>
>>10004230
Make him charismatic. Make him have an incredibly ironic inner monologue. Otherwise make him Robin Hood.
However, both are clichè.
It's hard to make an immoral character likeable without resorting to clichès
>>
>>10004230
>Elmore Leonard's Out of Sight now a major motion picture starred by George Clooney.jpg
>>
You could make this thief a local hero of sorts,a Friendly Neighborhood Robin Hood, who steals from the corrupt and looks out for the poor folk in need of help.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.