[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I believe that gender is a choice—an egotistic preference.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: JPEG_20170901_135342.jpg (47KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170901_135342.jpg
47KB, 327x327px
I believe that gender is a choice—an egotistic preference. I'm MtF. Is my viewpoint problematic? Why or why not?
>>
>>8826165
Gender is socially mediated, if its a choice that means you can change whenever you want and that causes headaches for everyone around you

There is also no logical argument against conversion therapy (priests yelling at gay kids until they repress themselves straight or kill themselves) if gender is a choice

I don't really gave a dog in this fight tbqhon
>>
>>8826165
You're entitled to explain your own gender experience to yourself in whatever way makes you feel most comfortable.
It only becomes problematic if you expect all other trans people to embrace your perspective or allow your views to legitimize cis discrimination against trans people.
>>
>>8826217
I'm just being honest with myself. Gender is an abstract collection of ideas and concepts that ultimately becomes meaningless if you take words out of the picture. I understand how important it is to people—but I can't help but feel as if we'd be lying to ourselves if we claimed it was anything but vanity.

>>8826260
I agree with you, for the most part.
>>
>>8826165
It's a free country. You're entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts.

So 'believe' what you want, but be aware you're wrong.
>>
>>8826271
How can you not see the irony of making such a statement? Gender is a social construct—therefore, it is a choice.
>>
>>8826165
Part of the "it's a choice" argument is that it gives conservative a talking point against you.
Part of the reason why lesbos/gays don't like bisexuals (if they believe in them), since they have a choice and if equated to them would be saying they, too, have a choice.
>>
>>8826298
Our thoughts do not control us unless we let them. But let's not get confused. There is no objective morality. Conservatives are ignorant to try to control anyone via ethical metrics that are entirely subjective. That being said—there is nothing wrong with expressing oneself as transgender, because what is right and what is wrong is irrelevant.

Back to my original point, this doesn't change the fact that thoughts are merely something we observe and choose to be influenced by.
>>
>>8826271
>You're entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts.

Keep telling yourself that one. It's a nation of self-generated 'facts'.
>>
>>8826281
gender roles are boopy.

Gender is a bit more iffy than that, and I doubt either of us have the knowledge to discuss it. Read a book if you're interested
>>
>>8826269
I definitely think people overhype gender

It's just not that important, but some people act like its life or death
>>
"Problematic" is a word that gets used because virtually everything can be described as problematic. Actions, things, people...
>>
>>8826271
>It's a free country.
Ah, yes, the country of 4chan. How does the national anthem go, again?
>>
>>8826982
Tits or GTFO
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.