[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I’ve been thinking about pronouns, having hears that it can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1478212495119.jpg (57KB, 750x609px) Image search: [Google]
1478212495119.jpg
57KB, 750x609px
I’ve been thinking about pronouns, having hears that it can offend people or make them uncomfortable if you get them wrong. I mean, obviously right, who hasn’t heard that particular furore?

Thing is, I’m starting to wonder if it isn’t being blown out of proportion. From a grammar point of view, how often is this happening? Personally I can’t recall ever using someone’s pronoun in their presence, or someone using mine to me.

I can’t even think of many situations where I’d do so. Maybe introducing them? “This is Bob, he’s a builder.” But I’m not convinced I wouldn’t just say “This is Bob, a builder”.

So from what I can tell we’re fussing over a situation that comes up if:

A. You introduce someone
B. You use their pronoun doing so
C. The person being introduced is trans
D. The person being introduced actually cares about pronouns
E. You know them well enough to introduce them but somehow don’t know their pronoun

That’s a pretty small area of the Venn diagram. So, why does it matter what pronoun someone uses for you, given you never get to hear it?

Is the nitpicking the reason? Are politically correct people wanting to smug it up and blowing the issue out of proportion for that reason?

Or do people use pronouns *more* around trans people because they’re walking on eggshells about it (In which case the people who made it an issue are still the problem, they made people self-conscious about pronouns and thereby made things worse for trans people as they're now more likely to get pronouned at all)
>>
People are nuts. He and she are normal, I can tolerare they. But still, when one like transition into dude, look like a dude and want they and declare himself non - binary, it is like height of stupidity.
>>
>>8792548
But would you even use he/she/they in someone's presence in the first place? I'm not convinced we actually do.
>>
>>8792561
I would he and she without a doubt they would feel strange but I could try. Everything else, no way
>>
>>8792571
In what situation?
>>
>>8792573
I'm tgirl, I use pronouns correctly. Just all this 50 pronouns is insane and give people wrong impression of us.
>>
>>8792575
Do you though? When was the last time you used someone's pronouns in front of them (Or vice versa), and why?

My point isn't about use of pronouns, it's about whether we actually do it at all in the first place
>>
>>8792576
I can't remember using pronouns, but yesterday when I was at coffee with two friends it felt good when one said to other: Like she said instead of he
>>
>>8792584
Was the person whose pronoun they used actually present though?
>>
>>8792591
Yes. Me.
>>
>>8792576
>Example:
>Me, friend A, friend B
>B is female
>To friend A: Hey, have you met her?
>>
>>8794341
So introducing people, which I mentioned. Does that happen often, in those words? The way you mention is very clunky and unnatural - wouldn't you just say "Hey, have you met Jane?"

My point in general is that pronouns are for talking *about* someone, where the moral outrage seems to be predicated on their being used for talking *to* someone. I submit that this happens astonishingly rarely.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.