[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get over the fear of walking into a hair salon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 1494988939067.png (71KB, 476x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494988939067.png
71KB, 476x800px
How do you get over the fear of walking into a hair salon and asking for feminine cuts or highlights at the beginning of transition. I feel like I am not even allowed to ask for it because I don't look fem, yet can't look fem without asking and going through this first. How did you all overcome the whole thing, including shopping for clothes and other stuff.

Stories and advice needed.
>>
>>8307605
For me getting female hair was extremely easy. I just went into a female salon with my mom and when the stylist came I asked her for a specific kind of cut that is female only (but I never said I wanted a feminine cut). Still too afraid to buy female clothes in stores though, so I'm using amazon for now.
>>
>>8307614
I buy all my clothes off the internet and its a pain to not be able to try stuff on. The one time I tried to ask for a feminine cut at a hair salon I was just kind of met with an "umm" and they just slightly trimmed the length and I was too shy to say anything because I felt like a gross man intruding on a female only zone. I have delusions of socialization issues that are not even present though which I know is all in my head but I just can't shake it without having an anxiety attack and crying in the parking lot.
>>
I got really girly haircuts even when I was still a guy. Usually at salons they don't care plus stylists prefer doing female cuts anyway. Don't specifically ask for a female cut though. Just tell them how you want it.
>>
>>8307605
I'm the same way with hair salons I just can't go and if I did I have no clue what to ask for. As for clothes just order online.
>>
Make up a story or something. When I first went to get my hair styled, for example, I just told them that I wanted to try out something unusual and exotic like a fem haircut.
Or you could stop being a pussy and just own it.
>>
>>8308061
I feel like just going there and asking for a fem haircut would be the most awkward thing imaginable.
>>
>>8307605
I literally just cut my own hair. One time I went into a hair salon and got my hair cut, and they charged me less because I was male (their policy). I never recovered. So now I just cut it myself.
>>
>>8308099
That's horrible I don't think I would ever recover either.
>>
>>8307605
oghh, just go and say - I want female cut (like this...)
You are a client for god's sake!!
>>
>>8308080
I know it's a cliche, but it really is only awkward if you make it awkward. Just step in there with an "I don't give a fuck" attitude and nonchalantly ask for a fem haircut. Simple as that.
>>
>>8307605
>>8308129
want add - go to the good one
>>
>>8307605
You think of the future and how much it's going to help you. I specifically said to my stylist "Can you help me with a cut to make my face look more feminine" and she knew exactly what to do.
>>
>>8307605
Just be confident, no one will question you if you act like what you're doing is normal.

Act like its not strange and No one will think its strange.it's all I n your mind no one is paying attention to you

t. 6'4" dude who does all his shopping in person, i shop in Victoria's secret for my underwear and have tried oon prom dresses at the store.
>>
>>8308344
how do you do that? I am too scared to buy girl jeans or shirts or makeup
>>
>>8308419
Why don't you just do it online?

Fat girls who are self-conscious about fitting rooms and clothing stores do it all the time. Try ASOS, I hear they have a very lenient return policy.
>>
>>8308419
Walk in and act like you do it every day. No one cares about you as long as your not being weird.

Want to try on a dress? Find one oon the store, walk it to a dressing room and try it on, if there a monitor for that area, make eye contact say the number of items you have and go in and go try it on.

Want too ask a sales girl a question about make up and what looks good on you? do it, it's her job to answer it you.

You think buying panties is embarrassing? 2 days ago i went to Victoria's secret and exchanged 2 pairs because i didn't check the size, i trusted the drawer label, a Guy might buy a girl underwear, but normally they don't make exchanges. No one cares as long as your not weird about it.

Who cares about anyone else thinks anyway? You're a rockstar, be confident.
>>
Just build a relationship with some local stylist.

Tip them well,
Talk to them during the cut,
Get regular cuts (2 weeks between visits max)
Prime them by showing you really care about your hair.

Once they realize you aren't just some rando and you can trust them,
ask them to cut it however they think would look best.

I haven't given my stylist instructions for months, I just tell her to go for it and surprise me. Haven't been let down yet.
>>
>>8308344
I envy you. While I was on vacation I was browsing the makeup section at the local walmart and the lady at the counter kept staring at me. I had my headphones on and was listening to a podcast (my strategy to quell my horrible social anxiety while shopping for girl stuff) and looked fairly disinterested but she still stared at me like I was some kind of weirdo. I am black and this was Montana so she probably thought I was trying to steal something but still! Whenever someone thinks Im trying to steal something in a store they usually follow me around and say "can I help you?" over and ever again but this lady just stayed at the counter and stared. Jesus I know Im ugly but fuck, make an effort lady.
>>
>>8307605
Stylists get the most enjoyment out of making someone look good.
They spend a lot of time researching looks and learning how to create the latest styles.
They like it if you let them do their job.
Just tell them you want to look pretty and maybe bring some pictures of hairstyles that you like and ask them their opinions.
Most stylists are either gay or know someone who is gay so they aren't going to be that freaked out by a trans person, even if you don't pass.
Let them do their job.
They are there to help you.
Tip them well (at least in the US) and by well I mean at least 20% of the total cost.
You get what you pay for.
If you go to someone cheap they will do a shitty job.
Look at the people you know who look good and ask them where they go to get their hair done.
Sometimes you have to wait for an appointment to see someone who is really in demand and you may even need to pay several hundred dollars.
>>
>>8308419
Different anon, but what really helped me was researching clothing terms so I had an untested idea of what might look flattering on me. Just knowing that stuff made me a lot more confident in just asking associates for specific styles. The more you know the easier it is for them to help.

(this is actually the reason I haven't done makeup yet, it's just overwhelming trying to figure it out without help)
>>
Fucked from the start my dudes.
>>
>>8310263
sounds like racism more that anything else desu, but I don't know that much about murica
>>
Utilitarian unisex cut of whatever length you want until you pass, then do whatever. It's not that complex.
>>
>>8310324
Any tips on how to find one? I've tried three in the past at a local place, a student place and a hipster place and it's always been super awkward and I've come out looking bad.
I'm a really anxious person who struggles to leave the house and i can occasionally put on a facade of confidence but it never works when I'm getting a haircut.
I've thought it might be how i look but people say i look alright both online and off so I just don't know. It's getting to the point where it's once a year i get my haircut which i hate.
>>
File: zooey.jpg (23KB, 473x374px)
zooey.jpg
23KB, 473x374px
I just go in asked for Zooey Deschanel bangs.
For clothes I wear a headset for music, big girl glasses and fluffy scarf plus andro clothes.
Works every time, just walk around with music really loud and ignore everyone, then go to self serve checkout, buy shit then leave.
>>
File: 20161030_025052.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161030_025052.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>8310263
I doubt she cared, she was probably only grilling you because you're the only person to stare at.

Just take a deep breath and remember, you're not doing anything illegal, put yourself in her shoes, imagine how little you would pay attention if someone is in your section of the store and you're making minimum wage.

An exercise i did to get more used to going out and being comfortable:
Whenever i have to go somewhere out of state ill usually drive there in drag, ill stop along my journey at stores along the way doing shopping somewhere no one knows me and I'll likely never be again. After i did that 2 or 3 times i realized no one cares anywhere.

Are you still too worried? go when the store opens in the morning, the store will be empty unless there's a special sale.

But why are you nervous? You're allowed to do what you're doing, you're just thinking too much about it.

Another fun story about my escapades:
>going to Halloween party in early October this past year
>be Harley Quinn
>sister does my make up amazing
>party is 4 hours away
>stop at a rest stop along I-95 to piss and grab a bite
>go in crowded restroom, wait for a spot n piss at urinal between 2 dudes.
>tfw when I'm a 6'4" dude in dressed like Harley Quinn, skull & crossbones fishnets, booty shorts 5 inch heels, painted nails and full make up (pic related but that pic is after the party so the makeup isn't as vibrant)
>tfw when i forgot how absurdly dressed i was until i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror on my way out, i smiled And chuckled

Fuck what anyone else thinks, you're the star Of the show, be confident remember you're in charge.
>>
File: 1492548852811.jpg (48KB, 500x599px)
1492548852811.jpg
48KB, 500x599px
>>8307605
Same boat as OP, or I will be soon. I have really bad anxiety (diagnosed) and my plan was to show them a photo and ask for it but showing them a photo of a lass and asking for it, jesus christ.
You can say "oh yeah be confident be yourself gurl" but it would be near impossible to be confident without some kind of plan to approach it with. And for the people who actually have it to a serious degree its not as easy as saying just be confident.
I`m just waiting until my hair grows longer.
[spoiler] Just putting it off [spoiler/]
>>
>>8311098
what do you think they will say when you show them what you want?

"That's a GIRL's haircut and you're a BOY, NO!"

"What are you a Faggot?"

No its a business they aren't going to treat you like shit, you're a paying customer looking for fork over a decent sum of cash.

You don't need a plan of how to interact with people, did you ever need a plan going to the barber? Imagine you were a girl going in there and asking for what you want they wouldn't bust your balls about anything, unless its a really bad hair style for you. If you go in dressed 100% male and ask for the same haircut they will say OK and give it to you.

What questions could they ask related to the transaction?

Do they ask why you want that style? Because I think it will look good

Why do you want that color? I think its an awesome color

Be honest with yourself and answer them the same way, you will end up with a baddass hairstyle.

as depressing as it sounds, here is some motivation: "no one gives a single shit about you, you are another face in the crowd of the 10,000 other assholes they see every day. To everyone else you are a extra in their movie. But You're the star of your show, the only one who cares about what you are doing is you, so take a second relax and do what you want, fuck everyone else.

You are a paying custome
>>
>>8307605
I got a friend's sister to cut it for me.
I'm not trans, though; I just have long hair and like having a girly hairstyle to show off my natural curls.
>>
>>8309449
This shit is why I haven't had my hair professionally cut in over a decade. I cannot fucking stand hairdressers and their constant inane babble, or the smells and sounds of the place, or having to deal with everything without my glasses on.
>>
>>8311149
I'm not trans either, i Just enjoy playing dress up way more than normal dudes.

My current toes, 2 colors i had in my drawer that hurt to look at, and i painted them this way to annoy one of my friends. He thought my toes were "too loud" when they were pink glitter (rockstar pink), so i turned up three volume
>>
>>8311266
Your toes look quite male, especially the hair, but worse is the misshapen toes. Mine are similar. I hate it and it disgusts me.
>>
>>8311266
>I'm not trans either, i Just enjoy playing dress up way more than normal dudes.
I do too, but I don't tend to go for girly dressup. I'm not a flaming camp gay, either.
>>
>>8311354
99% of the time it's tshirts jeans and flip flops (hoodie if its cold) though my toes are painted every day

>>8311290
My little toes are Fucked up from breaking them a few times, but Id expect my toes to look male, I'm a man with size 14 feet, just a fancy man.
>>
>>8311386
> Flip-flops
Just no. Safety boots for me whenever I'm outside for more than a couple of minutes, and full heavy metal fashion for things that warrant it.
>>
>>8311555
I wear flip flops unless there is snow on the ground, or if im at work. I got addicted to them living in Florida for a few years.

I have gone on 15 mile walks wearing them, no issues

Reef flip flops are the only ones i wear
>>
>>8308205
This seems like the best option to get the cut you want, although it still takes guts
>>
>>8308434
ASOS is really good, can confirm people on /fa/ love it.
>>
>>8310263
maybe she thought you were cute anon!
>>
>>8307605
i've had either shoulder-length or chin-length hair for most of high school and well into my adult life as a boy.

i went into salons with pictures of girls' haircut and asking for something similar for myself for more than a decade, and i've never met a stylist that was taken aback or looked surprised. they don't give a shit about your hair choices.

just don't be a spaghetti weirdo and ask for dumb shit like "i want a girl cut" because that's just as generic and unworkable as "i want a boy cut." be specific about what you want, and they will deliver.
>>
File: 1488851592567.png (30KB, 495x330px)
1488851592567.png
30KB, 495x330px
Never been to a stylist in my life. It all sounds very overwhelming.
>>
>>8307605
I have the opposite problem where being FTM I basically have to fight every godamn hairstylist and barber to get a haircut that doesn't make me look like a super feminine young Jamie Lee Curtis instead of a vaguely masc haircut. It's a losing battle with these people.
>>
>>8311266
Polish protips:

Get a decent little paintbrush, use it to clean up polish that bleeds over the skin or cuticles. You can shape the canvas that way and it helps.

Oil your nails with jojoba or other nourishing oils so they don't dry out. Supplements don't make it grow much much faster but oiling nails and cuticles helps.

Wear what ever polish you want. You do you.
>>
>>8312376
Specifically, dry nails with a little acetone, make sure they're clean, paint them, then clean up with a paintbrush and acetone, and finally oil them including underneath your smile like (the bit of nail that sticks over the skin and is usually white).
>>
>>8312376
I usually just paint quick and let it dry, the next day i pick the excess of after a shower. Though i was also a tad drunk aa high when i painted these.

I've never oiled my nails and cuticles, butt always used acetone to remove my polish(unless it's my peel off base coat Fein unt), do they really need it?
>>
>>8311123
> Imagine you were a girl going in there and asking for what you want they wouldn't bust your balls about anything,
>"What are you a Faggot?"
>no one gives a single shit about you, you are another face in the crowd of the 10,000
Its still daunting but you know what fuck it. Im going to try it. Solid and great advice anon. Im ready to become my final form as a hon.
Seriously though I will, and thank you anon <3
>>
>>8312857
No problem, I think you will turn out beautiful
>>
File: 194u48muqd38tgif.gif (1MB, 636x607px)
194u48muqd38tgif.gif
1MB, 636x607px
>>8311720
No. She had the "I bet they are trying to steal something" look. Ive seen it so many times that its instantly recognizable.
Besides, this lady was in her mid forties. Im certain I was at best a weird looking vagabond to her.

>>8310558
Yeah, it pretty much is. I might keep to myself a bunch but I recognize what that shit is and looks like. Sometimes its kind of exhausting being a minority in america. The staring and the comments and the weird behavior and people that go out of their way to tell you that you are wrong for taking what you have seen and experienced as racism in any way. Some days Im out and about and some lady grabs her purse and moves to the other side of the street and I just want to go home, crawl in bed, and just sleep for the rest of the day.
>>
What about when you go to a clothes store trying to test bras, but you're a androgynous mtf?

I would hate being directed to male's changing room... with bras.
>>
>>8313283
I've never been questioned When i went into dressing rooms, though ive tended to to to female exclusive shops where that's the only kinda room
>>
>>8313283
Just say your manboobs are getting a little out of hand and need some support
>>
>>8309449
Jesus I'd rather cut it myself
>>
>>8314300
Oldest trick in the book
>>
>>8307605
A hair salon is probably one of the last places you should be afraid to act feminine.
>>
I cut my own hair, it comes a little rough at first but after a few weird cuts you start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.