[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me the concept of gender as a spectrum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Can someone explain to me the concept of gender as a spectrum and what it means for trans gender people? This is not meant to offend anyone and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

The way I thought things worked was:
>Sex is binary
>gender is binary
>if your gender is the same as your sex you are cis
>if your gender is different than your sex you are trans.

But I don't understand how that fits if gender is a spectrum. Where does the average person lay on the gender spectrum? At what point on the spectrum do you have to be to be trans and want to transition? For example, lets say you are born male but find yourself 49% male 51% female on the spectrum, does that mean you need to transition? Or do you need to get closer to 5% male and 95% female? Whats the difference between someone who is 95% male vs someone who is only say 75% male?

If gender is a spectrum and people regularly fall anywhere on the spectrum what is the point of identifying as non-binary? Wouldn't everyone be non-binary unless they are 100% one gender? Why is non-binary so much more common in women? Are women more predisposed to being non-binary or is it just female privilege allows them to openly exclaim they are non-binary where men cannot without fear of persecution and violence?
>>
>>8287307
>can someone explain this concept of gender as a spectrum

it's dumb nigger shit. You're welcome op.
>>
>>8287476
if its nigger shit why do white women push it so...

oh, never mind.
>>
Sorry for the Canadian explanation
>>
>>8287307
There's 7 billion people on this planet. And I'm a pansexual.
I'm still single, what does that say about me anons?
>>
>>8287602
This doesn't really explain anything. Its just some buzz words. Where do normal people fall on the spectrum?
>>
File: 1447973594712.png (387KB, 1023x771px) Image search: [Google]
1447973594712.png
387KB, 1023x771px
>>
>>8287307
Some of the non-binary people have a non-binary pattern of gender dysphoria. For example, the femboys over at >>>/lgbt/femgen who want female secondary sex characteristics and do not want male secondary sex characteristics, except that they do not want breasts. To deal with this, they typically use bicalutamide and raloxifene.
>>
>>8288004
but isnt that more of fetishism? They want to look that way to be sexually desired?
>>
>>8287307
It's like the autism spectrum
>>
>>8288058
They often times report gender dysphoria in the same way that other trans people do. Some of them view it as a fetish, but Blanchard would say that that applies to all gay/bi (from identified gender perspective) transwomen as well.
>>
>>8287602
>homesexual
>>
>>8288058
Wanting to be sexually desired is not a fetish thing. Is wearing nice clothes when you go out a fetish thing? No. Is posting an photo as your most attractive self on a dating profile a fetish thing? No. Another aspect you're ignoring is that femboys basically experience GD Lite in their desire to not look masculine. Then there are femboys who're either babytrans or afraid to leave boymode
>>
>>8287307

There's two parts to the story, the way I see it.
When people debate about this stuff, they either say it's about biology or that gender is a social construct. It's dumb, because they are both important here.

Biology is binary, no doubt about that. There's male and female characteristics, that's the way it is. However, it's easy to underestimate how much pressure there is from society to conform to things that are thought of as manly or womanly.

Boys don't cry, girls have more feelings, guys are aggressive, girls aren't as smart.. it's hard to tell which of these stem from biology and which have bleeded into us because society expects it from us.

Anyway, I guess people who are in the middle of the spectrum conform less to the ideal man or woman in the eyes of society. If you ask me I'd ditch the whole spectrum idea entirely, because limiting people and putting them in boxes depending on what chromosomes they have is silly. Perhaps trans people wouldn't feel the need to transition as much when no-one is telling them to "man up" or "be ladylike" all the time.
>>
http://www.wiringthebrain.com/2016/01/sex-on-brain-tale-of-two-studies.html

+intersex conditions
>>
>>8287307

Masculinity ------ Femininity.

You can be at either side or somewhere in between, or go back and forth. The reality is that no one actually gives a shit, except for when it comes to dating, i.e. masc4masc.
>>
>>8287307
>the concept of gender as a spectrum
So that cishets can feel special too.
That's it.
>>
>>8287307
Let ur boy bill nye explain
https://youtu.be/TKZ-P97PgxA
>>
File: Gender as a spectrum.png (40KB, 762x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Gender as a spectrum.png
40KB, 762x1012px
So think of it like two bell curves.
masculine traits on one side and feminine on the other.
Traits that are not in those two categories are represented as purple.
Now the distribution is that most people end up being man or woman enough.
The people that are closer to the center may use a variety of words to describe their experiences.
Butch, GNC, some cultural specific term, transsexual, transgender, +tumblr.
Everyone is at their own point here.
Some are super masculine/ feminine.
Some don't really understand why there's a division in these traits.
Hope you consider this model alongside your own
>>8287307
>>
>>8287307
>gender spectrum
It's complete bullshit.

The majority of men look like men
The majority of women look like women

There is no "between" that.
>>
>>8292728
Yo dimwit
>>8291291
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.