[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Netflix Edits ‘Bill Nye’ Episode to Remove Segment Saying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

https://webmshare.com/VJeyv

>When uploaded to Netflix, an episode of the educational children's show "Bill Nye the Science Guy" cut out a segment saying that chromosomes determine one's gender.

>In the original episode, titled "Probability," a young woman told viewers, "I'm a girl. Could have just as easily been a boy, though, because the probability of becoming a girl is always 1 in 2."

>"See, inside each of our cells are these things called chromosomes, and they control whether we become a boy or a girl, " the young woman continued. "See, there are only two possibilities: XX, a girl, or XY, a boy."

>But in the version of the episode uploaded to Netflix, the segment has been cut entirely. While noncontroversial at the time, the 1996 segment appears to contradict Netflix's new series "Bill Nye Saves the World."

>The new show endorses a socially liberal understanding of gender, under which gender is defined by self-identification rather than genetics and there are more than just the two traditional genders.

>It is not clear whether the 1996 segment was cut when it was first uploaded, or whether the edit was in reaction to recent controversies over Bill Nye's stance on gender identity.

>>https://archive.is/fdXco

>>http://freebeacon.com/culture/netflix-edits-bill-nye-episode-remove-segment-chromosomes-determine-gender/
>>
>>8236012
Interestingly, Bill Nye never says this himself. The scene in the OP pic happens, but he never actually says what's in the caption.
>>
>>8236027
shit, image is fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPR-4zbnVI
>>
>>8236012
I mean to be fair it's not great information even without all the "politics" involved. But it just seems weird that they removed it because I'm sure it can't be the only thing in the show that was simplified to an extent that it's not entirely good information and it just drew more attention to the whole thing.
>>
>>8236012
In the 90's, sex and gender were interchangeable terms (although more like the 70's but understanding of sex ed propagates slowly). These days we use them differently because it allows us to articulate more concepts. Bill Nye, being a scientist, updates his language to keep up with this understanding. What, exactly, is the problem here?
>>
>>8236152
Netflix is removing obsolete information that some people are still ideologically invested in so it's CENSORSHIP
>>
>>8236152
netflix are sjws also hillary's emails

/s
>>
File: Y1dg5BRr6iDxS.gif (576KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Y1dg5BRr6iDxS.gif
576KB, 400x300px
>>8236152
>being a scientist
>What, exactly, is the problem here?
>>8236162
> obsolete information
qt
>>
>>8236090
I hope they continue this trend, honestly. I have a science encyclopedia from 1992 that says the Earth is millions of years old. Obviously from either before, or during the earliest days of, carbon dating.
>>
>>8236058
>tfw trolled
Holy shit I hate poltards now.
>>
>>8236152
He's an engineer.
>>
SEX JUNK
>>
>>8236012

It's worth noting that the segment itself was about probability and they only used the XX/XY concepts kind of incidentally as part of it. They probably just thought it'd be more "sciencey" using that example. I can understand why they cut it, because I'm sure someone would had said something eventually anyway.
>>
>>8236606
You understand that the guys who do your oil change are not engineers, right?

Do you understand what an engineer is? What their education is based on? What they do to solve problems?
>>
>>8236058
>>8236211
He doesn't say it himself but it's still part of the episode. It just wouldn't make a good meme to have:

>See, inside each of our cells are these things called chromosomes, and they control whether we become a boy or a girl

captioned on a random girl.
>>
>>8236012
Yeah I can't believe that the educational shows from twenty years ago might be presenting outdated information. What a shocker.
>>
>>8236012
So? Why should I care, cunt?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.