[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the process like when you're trying to get prescription

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2750.jpg (96KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2750.jpg
96KB, 480x640px
what is the process like when you're trying to get prescription HRT?

Do you have to go to a psychologist? Do they ask you questions to better understand yourself or do you just say "I think I'm a woman" and your psychologist says "and that's okay. How brave of you to come out. Here are your 'mones."

Do you think that with transgenderism being big in the media lately that people see other people doing it and latch onto it when they really have some other problem?
>>
>>8205582
is this a time portal back to 2014

go back to pol you retard
>>
>>8205587
because I'm asking questions I'm from /pol/? I'm actually curious.
>>
>>8205582
Assuming you're in the US.
>Do you have to go to a psychologist?
No. If you go to a doctor that practices informed consent, they can give you a prescription as long as they are convinced you understand what the drugs do.
>Do you think that with transgenderism being big in the media lately that people see other people doing it and latch onto it when they really have some other problem?
Yes.
>>
>>8205622
That seems irresponsible, but I guess everyone can do what they want. Wouldn't it be pretty shitty to fuck your body up like that and then find out that it didn't make you happier?

I guess it's just like an extreme body mod.
>>
>>8205653
It's fine. People should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies.
>>
>>8205653
You can easily go back after stopping
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (55KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
55KB, 480x640px
Informed Consent is just "do you know the risks" and, well, informed consent.

Traditional gatekeeping is "let's work through you're feelings" and "well there are lots of boys that like to wear makeup and I sometimes feel dysphoric about my weight so how do u know ur trans?" for a few months / years at a psych until they go "huh well u were trans all along" several thousand dollars later. Usually go to GP to get referred to Psych to get referred to Endo. Sometimes maybe not even an Endo since a lot of different types of medical professionals can write the script and bloodwork just has to be done. Traditional gatekeeping relies on a diagnosis of gender dysphoria under DSM-V. Gender dysphoria is the illness, transitioning is the cure.

Informed consent after DIY hormones is still "do you know the risks" and the typical IC process. Traditional gatekeeping after DIY hormones is "I have to advise you to stop taking those medications we can't guarantee they're effectiveness we're going to refer you to a psych to get diagnosed to get referred to an endo to get a script to get the medication you're already taking" and you can get a script maybe 2-4 months later.

Then there's religious counselling and stuff fucking up the process for everyone so they can get their money from desperate trans people as well. Pic related. Sometimes people repress, end up back in religious counselling, or end up in IC / gatekeeping model to start it all over again.

As for transgender people in media. Trans people represent 0.3% to 0.6% of the US population and this places their prominence at a rate higher than most other professions. Transgender people aren't actually big in the media unless you surround yourself with /pol/ tier news on the daily and think a passing mention of some filmmakers coming out as trans makes it particularly common.

Further, myths on trans people abound. It's a 50/50-ish split between FtM and MtF. Also HRT isn't permanent.
>>
>>8205653
It's far easier to get an abortion and those have goverment subsidies and are risky.

Why should a safe thing like this that you pay out of pocket have more nany state
>>
>>8205682
>and, well, informed consent
They say that's needed from parents before circumcision and we all know how that works out.
>>
>>8205671
This isn't entirely true. Breasts don't go away on their own for MTFs. Facial hair and deep voice doesn't go away for FTMs. People who you came out to will still think of you differently.

I still think people should be allowed to do what they want, but it's bad to spread myths like this.
>>
>>8205711
What? That's entirely different. That's one person making a decision for another person. HRT is someone making a decision for themself.
>>
>>8205718
The point is that it's not informed, not about who the decision is for.
>>
>>8205711

What teh fug lmao.
>>
File: ayy lmao version 2.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao version 2.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>8205682

Is that a pic for ants?
>>
>>8205742
Okay, I see what you're getting at. Do you think people should be allowed to make decisions that result in them being unhappy?
>>
>>8205825
Yes. But I do think informed consent is important and that what's gets called informed consent very often obviously isn't.
>>
>>8205879
Stupid people are going to be stupid. Maybe the best solution is to rename it "consent."
>>
>>8205896
Stupid people can do stupid shit but they should be informed it's stupid.
>>
>>8205582
Yeah they ask questions.
You have to realise that a lot of trans people have trouble even seeing someone and it can take multiple sessions for everything to come out.
I'd actually say that those that go in determined and understanding everything and say "I think I'm a woman" are the minority.

Beyond that they ask questions about how long it has been going on, how exactly you feel.
They ask about other conditions that you may have, specifically autism and schizophrenia can rarely be mistaken for gender dysphoria so special attention is given to people with those and it can even pose an unfair barrier for some.
Even after all of that is settled a doctor may want several sessions to talk everything out and sessions continue into transition.

The psychologist doesn't actually give or prescribe hrt themselves. When it's time for that they refer you to an endocrinologist who runs some labs to check your baseline levels of various things to make sure their are no issues and to tailor your dosage to what is needed by you specifically. They also check your levels after a little while to make sure that everything is going correctly and to check if there need to be any dosage adjustments and such checkups continue periodically.
>>
>>8205907

But they do get informed by the professional running the IC process. It's not just "well you dont know the risks of spiro 400mg daily so here's a script." The process involves informing people and if they walk in rather obviously with issues they wont be getting HRT.

This whole 'informed consent isnt informed it's stupid and they should be informed they're stupid since it's just consent' is just pedantic shit. You severely underestimate how informed trans people and how serious their conviction can be about HRT.
>>
>>8205622

Any advice for someone seeking such a doctor? I'm still on my parents health insurance so ideally it wouldn't be a doctor who specializes in gender or anything of the sort, then I'd be able to pay out of pocket for any medications, right?
>>
>>8205930
>But they do get informed by the professional
That's my point, professionals have a long history of guiding people to a decision and then claiming it was informed.

>You severely underestimate how informed trans people and how serious their conviction can be about HRT.
Leave your assumptions out of this.
>>
>>8205964
>That's my point, professionals have a long history of guiding people to a decision and then claiming it was informed.
>I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but...
>>
>>8206028
>honestly thinking parents know what they're doing when they approve circumcisions
>>
>>8205943
>Any advice for someone seeking such a doctor?
Search "transgender informed consent [nearby large city]."

You can also look for "LGBT services" from Planned Parenthood:
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/WA
However, make sure you check if they provide services for transgender people. Not all of them do.

Another option is to go on one of the trans subreddits and just ask. There's a good chance someone will know of an informed consent clinic nearby.

>I'm still on my parents health insurance so ideally it wouldn't be a doctor who specializes in gender or anything of the sort
Most of the clinics that provide informed consent specialize in marginalized groups. You're probably going to be out of luck if you want to use your parents' insurance and keep it hidden from your parents. Your best bet is to pay out of pocket.
>>
>>8205713
Sterilization for MtFs is also permanent. Not sure about shrinkage.
>>
>>8206041
Ah yes, another link the chain of conspiracy!
Those evil doctors must trick them into thinking It's a type of pasta.
>>
>>8206056
Not going to bother. You win.
>>
>>8206049
>Sterilization
Sometimes I forget that some people actually *want* children.
>>
>>8206049

Sterilization is such a non-issue with freezing semen / eggs.
>>
>>8206042

As long as its not outrageous, I can probably pay out of pocket. I've a few hundred in savings right now.
>>
>>8206049
It's really variable, many maintain soem fertility after years and some have had reurgences of fertility after years or after stopping hrt.
Shrinkage is likewise very variable and is more of a "use it or lose it" type deal. You see with hrt there's less spontaneous erections and people transitioning are often uncomfortable with their junk, after a while the spongey tissues can lose some of their elasticity to fill with blood. Basically, it's more an issue of muscles/exercise.
>>
>>8206066
What, you're literally appealing to some vague medical conspiracy.
It's worthless wild claims that add little to nothing to the discussion.
>>
>>8206092
You tell me then, what did your parents know about it when they decided whether or not to have your penis mutilated?
>>
>>8206092
>you're literally appealing to some vague medical conspiracy
Are you retarded? No they're not. They're saying that parents don't properly consider the consequences of having their children circumcized.
>>
>>8206101

>parents circumsizing their baby is the same as informed consent by the person themselves in relation to GID years later

muh kiddy dick mutilation
>>
>>8206101
>>8206106
Who the fuck DOESN'T know what a circumcision is?

Again, did the evil doctors trick your parents into thinking they were gonna get a fancy italian dish?
>>
>>8206071
Costs a lot of money though. I did want kids someday but I chose not to freeze sperm because of the expense. Doesn't matter much to me though, I'd be a horrible parent anyway.
>>
>>8206129
That's not what I said. I said they don't properly consider the consequences of having their children circumcized.
>>
>>8206042
>closest IC clinic is 4 hours away

Fuck. I don't even live in the middle of nowhere or anything, I'm right next to a decent-sized city.
>>
>>8206129
>Who the fuck DOESN'T know what a circumcision is?
Proving the point perfectly, parents have no idea what they're doing.

Not "informed" at all.
>>
>>8206141
>they don't properly consider the consequences of having their children circumcized
Because you say so.
You assume All these doctors MUST have misled or failed to inform people just because you disagree with their decision.

Now you're extending that to ANY medical treatment that you don't like, like transition, because OBVIOUSLY, the only reason anyone would seek out a treatment that you don't approve of is because the doctors are tricking them.
>>
File: 1492618589863.jpg (193KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492618589863.jpg
193KB, 600x400px
>mfw taking cypro and estradiol is literally mutilating children's peanus weanus when they're 1 month old
>>
>>8206179
>Because you say so.
>You assume
Nope, we have YOUR word on that >>8206129
>>
>>8206155
Yeah everyone is just a stupid misinformed dummy that has no idea about anything!

Except for you and people who agree with you, of course, you're smarties who understand everything perfectly :^)
>>
>>8206179
>Now you're extending that to ANY medical treatment that you don't like, like transition
????
Both the people you're arguing with said that people should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies.
>>
>>8206182
lrn2read
>>
>>8206186
Are you just shitposting?
How does that in anyway prove that everyone but you doesn't know what circumcision is and can't be trusted to make a decision about it?
>>
>>8206194
Unless they use informed consent because obviously they just CAN'T be properly informing them like any other doctor would, they just MUST be misleading them just like those evil circumcision docs, right?
>>
>>8206205
What did your parents know about it when they decided whether or not to have your penis mutilated?
>>
>>8206211
No... please reread the thread or go away.
>>
File: 1486764833248.jpg (36KB, 332x283px) Image search: [Google]
1486764833248.jpg
36KB, 332x283px
>This thread

I'm surprised OP at least knows about mones and isn't asking about the surgery.
>>
>>8206213
I didn't get circumcised and I'm not gonna go interrogate them on everything they know about it for some sperg online that will keep shitposting regardless of the answer.

>>8206218
I've been reading and your conspiracy shitposting is obvious, you go away.
>>
>>8206264
>I'm not gonna go interrogate them on everything they know
That's fine, they probably don't know any more than you do.

Which is the point.
>>
>>8206285
Well no one can be as genius as you anon ;^)
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.