[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is wrong with language. The word "transphobic"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: Jackie-Chingchong.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Jackie-Chingchong.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
What the fuck is wrong with language. The word "transphobic" is never used correctly. Pretty much zero people have a fear of trans people. Why isn't it called what it is; tranny hate?

Same applies to other words, like xenophobia. A poltard doesn't fear shitskin muslims, they hate them with a passion.

I don't know why, but this has always endlessly pissed me off.
>>
t. brainlet
>>
>>8188040
this is the most stupid, pedantic thing to be angry about

wow language doesn't always make sense who would have guessed
>>
>>8188040
I've never met a straight that didn't tremble with fear the moment I mentioned I was trans. Your lies are too obvious to put into words.
>>
I agree, two of the words that annoy me the most are 'transmen' and 'transwomen' because neither are used correctly. A man 'transitioning into a woman' should be called a transman because he is and always will be a man. Ditto for women 'transitioning into men'.
>>
>>8188046
But it literally makes light of reality.
You can have arachnophobia, irrational fear of an insect you could crush with a napkin.

But calling a tranny beat down "transphobia" is disingenious. It's pure hate.
>>
>>8188091
They do it out of fear though. No straight who has ever tried to beat me up didn't fear my queer status first. It's what makes them so easy to beat up first, they've hestitated long before they ever met me because of their cowardice. All it requires is a little preparation and awareness in advance.
>>
>>8188091
there's so much stuff in etymology, and the english language in general, that makes 0 sense.

honestly these days, language is more determined by how people use certain words than the internal logic of those words themselves
>>
File: hydrophobic.jpg (17KB, 250x264px) Image search: [Google]
hydrophobic.jpg
17KB, 250x264px
>>8188040
Phobia doesn't actually mean fear, it means aversion to. Thing hydrophobic and hydrophobic in chemistry
>>
The people that hate trans don't understand them. That lack of understanding leads to fear of what they are and what they may do, since you don't understand them you literally don't know what they're capable of and what their agenda is. This isn't just for trannies, it's a survival mechanism inherent in all of us. If you don't know what something is be afraid of it by default.

But fear isn't nice, people don't like feeling unsure, so instead they hate. It's easy to hate because, again, they don't understand. So they can dehumanize.

I mean where do you think these worries over trannies using the right bathroom come from? Anyone with a stable mind can tell that people (including trannies) just want to use the bathroom, yet they come up with these ridiculous scenarios that are never going to happen and try to ban trannies from using the bathroom. All because they're afraid.

The correct word is transphobic, their hatred is born from fear of the unknown.
>>
>>8188116
>The people that hate trans don't understand them. That lack of understanding leads to fear of what they are and what they may do

False. Everybody knows trans are people who need and deserve jobs, housing and respect, same as everyone else. What you said is just a favorite excuse the right uses to justify why they won't allow any of that, and that the left parrots in order to excuse the right when they do that.
>>
>>8188044
This. Do you think Francophobes are *afraid* of the French? The formulation has been used as a signifier of hate for hundreds of years.
>>
>>8188118
I'm assuming you're trans because no, everyone does not know that. This may be surprising but a lot of people think it's really fucking unnatural to be trans. Like, they don't even understand how such a thing could happen. (because, surprisingly, they're not trans)
It's not a matter of understanding that someone is a human bean, because if a human bean gets different enough from you you can strip them of their shared humanity. View them as something else.
>>
>>8188130
>I'm assuming you're trans because no, everyone does not know that.

False. Everyone does know that. Just because a lot of "people" choose to be pure evil and tell very obvious lies does not mean any real people have ever or will ever fall for those very, very obvious lies.
>>
>>8188138
Diseaseposter, is that you? If so I appreciate your style but please make it more obvious next time, I'd rather not waste time discussing with you.
If you're not diseaseposter you should really make contact with them, I think you guys would get along great.
>>
>>8188116
I think you're underestimating how easy it is to hate for no valid reason.
>>
>>8188138
You greatly overestimate the intelligence of the human race.
>>
>>8188149
I don't believe people do that.
Or rather; I don't believe there's ever no reason behind hatred.
Whether or not it's a valid reason is up to interpretation, but there's always a reason
>>
>>8188162
Gay haircuts are enough to set off teen brawls
>>
>>8188040
Fear, disgust and hate are pretty connected feeling.
Both hate and disgust come from fear.
>>
>>8188168
Yes and there's very obviously a reason behind that.
>>
>>8188187
But I don't consider it a valid reason for assaulting someone
Unless you're in eastern europe
>>
>>8188194
Well good for you, dear.
I don't see what your personal interpretation of life has to do with the mechanisms of human emotion.
>>
>>8188198
If you're willing to go to prison just to beat the shit out of someone, then I don't believe there's any fear involved. Just hate, darling.
>>
>>8188147
Why would I ever make it easier for you to be disgusting and worthless, though?

>>8188151
No, you're busy implying they have an interest in being moral when they have none.
>>
>>8188202
Please tell me you're not seriously like this.

Hate isn't fear, hate is it's own emotion but is closely related to fear and often times bred from it.
get it now, sweetie?
>>
>>8188222
Stop responding to yourself you filthy dog shit.
>>
>>8188226
Hey while you're here I always wanted to ask you; why do you do this? I don't expect a real response but a real response would be pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>8188232
Because your kind don't like it. And because I would like others who are like me to do things your kind don't like.
>>
>>8188040
You are right. The words like this are transphobic, homophobic and Islamophobic. Xenophobia may be an actual fear though, of the loss of tradition due to immigration.

The not-really-phobias should be replaced with words closer in meaning to racism, sexism, misogyny/misandry and anti-Semitism.
>>
>>8188094

it's always been like this. There are lists of words that have changed in meaning and pronounciation overtime just because the majority of the public misunderstood it for long enough.
>>
>phobic is now just phobia of and not an an aversion to
didn't know that matter could be afraid of water, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>8188241
It's still wrong as phobia describes an irrational fear.
>>
>>8188295
you are talking about the word and not the root, faggot.
are you esl or some shit?
>>
>>8188295
Yes but that's a different debate, whether the fear is rational or not. The word itself is correct.
>>
>>8188040
>>8188091

Fear and hatred are related you idiot. There is no reason to hate something unless you fear it.

Why does a 5 year old girl hate broccoli? Because she fears the bad taste that she believes it has.

Why does a /pol/tard hate Muslims? Because he fears, as he believes, the possibility of his race/religion/culture being outbred, his wife/daughter/sister being raped, etc.

Why does a conservative hate trannies? Because he fears the influence he believes they have on youth, or he fears for his wife/daughter/sister being raped in the bathroom by someone he believes is a pervert.
>>
>>8188488
>fear leads to hate, hate leads to fear, hate leads to something, something something something, valid politican discourse, genius psychology, YODA! t. Uncle Qui Gon Skywalker, Star Trek
>>
>>8188040
Nobody is trying to say transphobia, homophobia, etc, as they are used today, is equatable to a medical phobia like arachnophobia or nyctophobia. They just use the same word root, that's all.

That said, I'm sure homophobia, Islamophobia, etc can sometimes be phobias in a medical context too. I think, for example, CWC would probably qualify as having psychological homophobia, given his extremely irrational fear of gay men and the distress and disgust it causes him, rather than just him simply being a bigoted idiot.
>>
>>8188040
You're right that the "phobia" in words like "transphobia" is figurative to an extent, but it's going a little far to say that nobody who is opposed to or prejudiced against a group is ever also afraid of that group.
The notion that gay and trans people can be frightening enough to drive a person to violence has been used in court to defend hate crimes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic

But here's a nice article about the origins of describing prejudices as "phobias," its uses and limitations. It might help you feel better to know how we got here, and that educated people across history have debated the merits of the concept.

https://newrepublic.com/article/128719/anti-slavery-roots-todays-phobia-obsession
>>
People said the same thing about homophobia. It's not an actual "phobia" but even still.
>>
>>8188651
Why do you keep telling the same lie over and over even though nobody is falling for it?
>>
>>8188560
>but it's going a little far to say <thing OP wasn't saying>
>>
>>8188673
>The word "transphobic" is never used correctly.
>never
>Even OP didn't read the OP post
>>
>>8188040
The idea with terms like homophobia is that the hatred actually comes from a place of fear which is why it can be so vehement and irrational.

Like why would you care enough to get all upset about two guys fucking unless something about it scared you?

"Gay panic" "tranny panic" is literally used as a legal defence by people who murder gays/trannies, arguing that they were so shocked and frightened that they can't be held accountable for their actions.
>>
>>8188091
>You can have arachnophobia, irrational fear of an insect you could crush with a napkin.
And some people respond to that fear by overreacting and trying to kill any spider they see with disproportionate force and hatred.

Your own example is perfectly representative of how hate and fear mix.
>>
>>8188149
"Valid" doesn't matter, there's a reason and it's usually based in the person's own fears and insecurities.

>>8188168
And a lot of that sort of bullying is out of their own insecurity, fear of being singled out and being different themselves, so they lash out even more to fit in and deflect. You see the same shit with newfags trying too hard to fit in. I've seen quite a few posts on this board of gay people saying they used to be bullies themselves to hide shit too.

>>8188202
>If you're willing to go to prison just to beat the shit out of someone
People don't usually think about the consequences of their actions like that which is why the deterrence argument for capital punishment isn't supported by statistics.
>>
Guys, "phobic" doesn't necessarily mean "fear of", but it can simply mean "aversion to".
So you don't need to be "afraid of homossexuals" to be "homophobic".
>>8188111
>>8188280
These anons get it, and they're ignored completely.
>>
>>8188791
One method of lying is essentially the same as all the others though. Every straight religious book has lies meant to train straights to fear gays. Straight people tell jokes every day to teach each other to fear gays. Every time some straight government does something terrible to anything LGBT they always use the excuse that the poor straights are terrified. You can't dank a meme in the face of all of human history, wherein straights terrifie theymselves on purpose in order to perpetrate unlimited evil and feel ok about it.
>>
>>8188040
phobic doesn't always mean "fear of". Hydrophobic spray isn't scared of water.
>>
>>8188040
its because hate stems from fear deep down people are afraid of trans people just like pol is afraid of muslims
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.