[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are homosexuality, gender dysphoria, etc. medical disorders?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: lgbt flag.jpg (1MB, 3500x2400px) Image search: [Google]
lgbt flag.jpg
1MB, 3500x2400px
Are homosexuality, gender dysphoria, etc. medical disorders?

Personally I think of it as a disorder similar to albinism. It's an abnormality which can lead to complications. I can't have this thread on the boards I frequent because an honest conversation would never happen. I wanted to hear it straight from you guys.
>>
>>8185462
Gay and A*P aren't disorders. They're just unusual sexualities. Not like albinism which is a biological matter. Both can lead to mental issues like dysphoria.
>>
Well I personally believe that homosexuality is a mental disorder, and it's already widely accepted that gender dysphoria is, but I have no idea about what type it is.
>>
>>8185462
I don't believe homosexuality is a mental disorder but I think that gender dysphoria is.
Off course I still respect transgender people but...well
>>
>>8185462
>It's an abnormality which can lead to complications.
Being gay doesn't really lead to complications though.
>>
>>8185462
I think they're abnormal paths of neurodevelopment, so in the sense that there is an Order and they upset it yes they're Dis Orders. The problem is with the implied idea embedded in the word disorder: that we should try and return such people to order, and that if they don't desire to be returned to order they're irrational. It does not follow that people should be normal.

If you ask someone gay whether they'd like to be gay or not and they say they want to be gay it does not follow that this is wrong, or that they should be "cured". This is also true for transsexuality despite the fact that it often comes with gender dysphoria and demands medical intervention. The value judgement inherent to the word disorder is problematic.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 540x304px
I want to go home
To the universe where I was a straight cis male
Where girls have me bones
Where I became a husband, a father, where I didn't fail...
>>
>>8185551
>but...well
???
>>
>>8185586
There are higher rates of mental illnesses and disorders among gay people, not to mention higher chance of getting HIV/AIDS. I am not sure whether to consider that complications.
>>
>>8185608
it's ok. we all fail sometimes, we are all imperfect.
>>
>>8185631
Not arguing but gay men are less violent than straight men, so if you look at it from the perspective of harm prevention gay men might do less net harm.

(lesbians are more violent than cis women though rip)
>>
>>8185631
You have a higher rates of going to prison if you're black too. I guess that makes being black an illness.
>>
>>8185608
What happened anon?
>>
>>8185462

Homosexuality is the expression of a narcissistic personality disorder.
>>
>>8185656
This is exactly the blurry line I'm getting at. And I did not refer to it as an illness but a disorder.
I would say that since races are genetically intentional, they are not disorders. But gays are genetically unintentional.
>>
>>8185462
My personal thoughts only.

I don't think homosexuality is a disorder of any kind. Until it was carefully studied it was considered 'unnatural' or a 'defect', much as black swans were no doubt considered 'mutant swans' until it was discovered they were their own group, but that's been a while. It's just a sexuality point.

As a MtF myself, I DO think that gender dysphoria is medical. IMO, it's the most readily obvious symptom of a physical disorder that manifested itself in the famous 'crossed wires' of mind vs body. I don't take a stance on trans people without gender dysphoria or what it means for them.
>>
>>8185678
Natural intention does not exist if you don't believe in god. Only coincidence. Only what is statistically common. In the sense that there is a normal (i.e. overwhelmingly common) developmental path and an abnormal one, though, yes.

On an unrelated note when looking at statistics about homosexuality or race you need to keep societal factors in mind.
>>
>>8185692
What would those societal factors be? Would they be things like how that society views that particular sexual preference?
>>
>>8185666
I was little boy who wished he could be big and strong and masculine like the other boys so he didn't feel so weak, and deliberately trusted puberty to "fix" him and make him into a man

But it didn't. Only a faggot who can't breed and has delusions of wanting to be a girl.
>>
>>8185704
Yup. I could buy homosexuals being more likely to have some other minor problems because they're neuroatypical, mind, but it could also be down to the stress of living in societies that treat them the way they do. Likewise there seems to be a certain amount of innate strain experienced by transsexuals but they don't do much worse than cis people if they transition early in a supportive environment.
>>
>>8185678
What does genetically intentional mean? You do know the mechanics of reproduction and evolution as a whole. Probably nearly every animal based species has homosexuality in it, some species that are both male and female at the same time, and some that alternate. I wouldn't say that being gay inherently has higher risks of HIV / AIDS as much as being sexually promiscuous, although there might be more infected gay people but that's not really targetted nor something you can control for. It's the equivalent of saying being a woman is a disorder because you're more likely to get breast cancer, but then excusing it because women are biologically necessary. I wouldn't say being homosexual is necessarily abnormal as it is just rarer.
>>
Depends what country you live in. Doctors don't consider gender identity disorder a thing anymore in Canada.
>>
>>8185908
What something is doesn't depend on where you live.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.