[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trans anons, what would a "trans option" in a video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: never_good_enough.png (1MB, 1440x1156px) Image search: [Google]
never_good_enough.png
1MB, 1440x1156px
Trans anons, what would a "trans option" in a video game like Mass Effect look like? Would you make a girl character, say she used to be a boy, and it's never mentioned again because it shouldn't matter?
I thought the point of transitioning was that you ARE your apparent gender and shouldn't be treated any differently from a cis person.
>>
The complaints were generally that the trans character wasn't well-written or accurate. I don't think people are saying that there needs to be a "trans option" for the player character. If they are, then that's dumb.
>>
File: VsEdwinold1.png (425KB, 579x450px) Image search: [Google]
VsEdwinold1.png
425KB, 579x450px
You'd think Bioware would have gotten it right on a subsequent try ... and yet ...
>>
Friend of the trans person walks in
Trans person is pre OP but presenting as girl
Friend accidentally used dead name (no harm intended) and corrects themselves
>>
>How Bioware got it wrong
>another failure
This is why trying to pander is a bad move. You will fail every time.
>>
>>8127450
is that what did happen in mass effect?
that sounds pretty good actually as a way to get the player to hint at it without it being obvious at all, so when you'd go back and play it it would seem obvious the whole time
>>
To explain for those who don't know; there's a female character that introduces themself as follows: "I am (male name) or I used to be, but now I'm (female name) because it's what I know is right". The compliants being that no trans person would throw their deadname in someone's face willingly when they pass, especially as a way to introduce themself.
>>
>>8126381
The trans option in a game like mass effect andromeda should be

>make a character
>select male or female

That's it. There's no need for a trans option. For a game that takes that far in the future, being trans should be a nonissue. Either it's a defect detectable or correctable at birth or technology makes it seamless so transitioning makes you actually biologically the sex you want with no noticeable difference.

>tfw making an indie game with a trans character to show the world how it's done
>>
>>8126381
This isn't about trans people, this is about people who wants to speak for trans people without even being trans.
>>
>>8127662
>>8127450
Then they got it pretty wrong... I'd agree that they fucked up.

They tried to please the fake trans people.
>>
>>8127810
This, the only people I see fighting for the inclusion of trans people in situations that dont call for it are from cis women.
No becky I dont need people to use the word expecting birthing parent instead of expecting mothers.
>>
File: 1489855973553.jpg (140KB, 1190x647px) Image search: [Google]
1489855973553.jpg
140KB, 1190x647px
>>8127500
This is what happens in Mass Effect. Bioware cares more about shoehorning in diversity to blatantly virtue signal their agendas than using issues like gender identity as a basis for an interesting character.
>>
>>8127674
In that case, they should let "trans people" be "included" in other ways, if the technology is that efficient and powerful, simply plot it up to be overused!

That way, you can super-fluidly have someone be trans without even the same standard limitations stifling you - you can have significantly greater creative space from them not actually being trans. It doesn't even have to be complicated, simply leverage the old forced feminization trope. Say, have it done for purposes of carrying a child.

Boom; easy, coherent and effective!
>>
Why can't I make an amputee character? This is erasure.
>>
>>8127810

This. It's fucking infuriating.
>>
File: 20160516160252_1.jpg (293KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160516160252_1.jpg
293KB, 1600x900px
>>8126381
>what would a "trans option" in a video game like
>>
>>8128140
reee just do what every mmo does;
>drink potion/walk into pod
>recreate character however you like
>bam trans character
>>
File: Make-over_Mage_(male).png (66KB, 164x479px) Image search: [Google]
Make-over_Mage_(male).png
66KB, 164x479px
>>8129462

Only MMO I've ever really played.
>>
>>8126381
>what would a "trans option" in a video game like Mass Effect look like?

In the Saints Row series, I think starting in the second one, you get to choose male/female but you also get to make yourself as masculine or feminine as you want (not as much in 3 or 4 I think) as in you can technically make transmen/women. Thats the only kind of Trans option I want in game unless the (well written) story revolves or incorporates trans related issues in a tasteful manner. Also, not every game has to have trans people in it front and center. maybe have deep lore about a character (i.e. audiologs, hidden messages,etc) that may indicate a trans past or whatever.
>>
>>8129564
Also, fuck gendered clothes/armor. Let anyone wear anything, especially if stats are tied to them.
>>
>>8128124
>shoehorning in diversity

Lets not overreact. One: nothing wrong with there being diversity as you know how to write. The name of the game is subtlety. Also, it was like one character fuck up an a game RIDDLED with problems, most of which have nothing to do with "diversity". I mean, for christs sake its a game full of fucking aliens, bitching that they included a trans character written like shit is kind of redundant.
>>
>>8129579
>gendered clothes/armor

Yeah, that does fucking irritate me. That was one of the reasons i liked skyrims armor. Its just pointy, metal, person shaped pajamas (room for individual design notwithstanding)
>>
>>8129586
You misunderstand my post. The problem isn't that they included a trans character. The problem is that they included a trans character simply for diversity's sake rather than for the sake of writing an interesting character.
>>
>>8129118
DELET THIS
>>
>>8126381
>it's never mentioned again
Given that there's a monogendered species in that universe and that aliens can probably tell human males and females apart about as well as we can tell Salarian genders apart... yeah probably, it would never get mentioned again.

>also implying that a space-faring civilization that can cure near-leathal damage to a body by just rubbing some gel on it would not have reduced transitioning to a procedure as simple as going to the dentist
If a civ can into FTL-travel they can probably make you a real girl.
>>
>>8127674
Pretty much like that in the Culture novels. People basically switch genders for shits and giggles because they get bored of near-immortality.
>>
The sims has a good idea but really only works for itself.
First you pick your gender then the extra options are picking masculine of feminine body type, preference for masculine or feminine clothing, if they can get pregnant, impregnate others or neither and if they can pee standing or not.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.