[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lgbt/'s opinion on pride parades/marches/festivals?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: DC_Pride.jpg (175KB, 670x409px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Pride.jpg
175KB, 670x409px
What's /lgbt/'s opinion on pride parades/marches/festivals? Are they seen as too attention seeking/unnecessary to get the point across or just a fun thing to do with others that shares similar sexualities like a convention? I was thinking about going to the one in DC this June to see what it's all about.
>>
>>8059982
They'll make excellent targets when middle easterners get raging pissed about US meddling having gone completely over the top.

it doesn't hurt at all that people are even acknowledging that a gay pride parade isn't really about gayness, it's just a megametropolitan kind of trendy thing.
>>
>>8059982
>>8059997
>DC
>US meddling
How fitting.
>>
>>8059997
>>8060013
That doesn't make much sense. Nobody has gone out of their way yet to target a pride parade for whatever reason, do people just say that as an excuse to stay away from them?

I guess it can be a tool to show your city is "cultured" but as long as the vibes aren't bad than why avoid going?
>>
File: wakeup.jpg (101KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wakeup.jpg
101KB, 500x500px
>>8059997
BE AFRAID!!
HIDE IN YOUR BASEMENT!!
>>
>>8059982
Degeneracy designed to recruit children
>inb4 pol
I'm pol but also gay. Pride is an abomination. I hope BLM ruins more of it this year in toronto
>>
File: whip.it.gif (998KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
whip.it.gif
998KB, 500x289px
>>8060387
>recruit children

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
First of all, being gay is genetic.
Nobody chooses to be gay.
Children don't choose to be gay.
Nobody wants to recruit children.

Pride parades were originally a way to let your neighbors know that you existed, that gays were real people who had jobs who were members of the community.
When people know that we are just average people they don't hate us.
Now that more and more people are coming out of the closet, parades are not as necessary but they can still be a fun way to meet people.
>>
>>8060417
I chose to be gay so shove your fake memes up your ass.
>>
>>8059982
Don't see the point desu

if you feel shame because of your sexuality, that is really your own problem
I don't care in the slightest what you choose to put in your mouth or ass
>>
File: 1490835384207.jpg (29KB, 465x455px) Image search: [Google]
1490835384207.jpg
29KB, 465x455px
>>8060419
why would you choose to be degenerate?
>>
>>8060314
Well, for one thing, it's just now that truck-of-peace operations became an in thing.

Whether or not that actually would be effective against a parade, it'll encourage the idea.

And Omar Mateen set a standard in that way, and they'll secure nightclubs much better now, but hitting a parade would just be a far flashier way of doing the same thing.
>>
>>8059982
While the point of Pride is to show the world that we exist and we deserve rights, for me personally I like to think of it this way-

We live in a society in which straight = normal. Most people you meet in your day to day life is straight, and it's always nice to meet another member of your class of lgbt. Pride parades and festivals are the one place you can go in which you can see people like you in all directions, and suddenly you are the normal one, not the abnormal gay person in your social group, work, ect ect.

So whenever I go to Pride, it's always a lot of fun and excitement for me because it shows that I may be weird, but I can be weird with a few thousand other weirdos dancing around in their underwear and not feel the least bit strange about it.
>>
>>8060706
Honestly it boggles my mind that nobody tried anything dumb at the Women's March in January since that may have been a bigger concern than a pride parade. Maybe the tight security mindset steered any potential threats away considering the inauguration was the day prior? Not sure.

We Americans just expect the worst when it comes to terrorist attacks ever since 9/11 when in reality deaths attributed to terrorism have gone down in the past decades. Inb4 the Jews told me but the stigma of a dangerous America needs to end.

>>8060715
Good answer that stays consistent with what other people I ask. What do you do specifically whenever you go to pride themed events?
>>
>>8059982
> Crowds
> People
> Obnoxiously openly gay people
> Loud shitty music with no attention to sound quality
> People packed together

As a rule, I avoid them. I hate crowds, I hate being shoved around, and I hate things being shoved in my face.
I'm not opposed to them in principle, I'm just opposed to actually taking part in them.

>>8060417
>First of all, being gay is genetic.
No it fucking isn't.
>>
>>8060779
I don't participate much in the activities because I am a shy piece of shit, but there's all sorts of fun stuff that happens in lgbt-friendly bars, and occasionally nightclubs will get in on the action as well hosting special events to reel in the cash. I just generally chill, check out festival stands, eat artificially colored rainbow food, and it's really like going to any other themed festival or event in the world except with an lgbt majority crowd.

I honestly really enjoy it, I wasn't sure what to expect the first time I went but I was glad I did- it gave me a sense pride in myself and confidence in who I was. Just a generally excited and happy buzz fills the air.
>>
>>8060785
>>First of all, being gay is genetic.
>No it fucking isn't.
where is it from?
>>
>>8060821
>it gave me a sense pride in myself and confidence in who I was.
Why pride? If you're gay/les that's just different from being het, not better or worse, and if you're trans that's just unfortunate but not something to be ashamed of.
>>
>>8060456
He's a political gay.
>>
>>8060839
Of course it's on the same level as being het- but for me personally, I have precious few lgbt friends, and most of them don't live in the same area as me and cannot hang out often. I guess it stems from being surrounded by a majority cis het community, and a silly need for validation in my sexuality. It's hard to be confident with who I am when there's no close friends or family who can genuinely relate. I'm always just "that gay friend." But at Pride, I'm not that gay friend, I'm that person who is totally a good enough looking lesbian to flirt with every woman in sight if I wanted too and be totally not be weird or awkward about it.
>>
>>8060865
>It's hard to be confident with who I am when there's no close friends or family who can genuinely relate. I'm always just "that gay friend."
It's funny, my close friends are all cishet too, but I don't feel like I don't have anyone to relate to. Maybe because I'm in the closet I can't be the gay friend and don't feel alienated for that reason. But I don't feel like it would change if I did come out.
>>
>>8060821
Ah I see. And again I'd image the overall ambience of the event will be very upbeat and accepting which is good. This won't be the first time where I'm in a mass crowd of people but this time around I kind of want to interact with others and feel an overall sense of relation and not be shy. Also I take photos as a hobby but whenever I'm shooting on the streets my mind shifts into being more aggresive than friendly which I do not want.
>>
>>8060831
Nurture versus nature.
>>
>>8060821
>it gave me a sense pride in myself and confidence in who I was

Ahh, I see now. It#s your people. That explains why I don't feel like I'd be welcomed there; it's NOT my people.
I'm a metalhead first and foremost. A gig or festival crowd is my people. The music, the noise, the smell of booze, even the mud. That's where I feel at home. Not invading city streets en masse that have to be given back the next day.
>>
>>8061101
>being gay isn't from x
>then where is it from?
>x, y or z
>>
File: breederism.png (96KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
breederism.png
96KB, 500x378px
>>8060839
>gay/les that's just different from being het, not better or worse

Breeding is actually the main cause of moral and environmental degradation. The fact that the homosexual lifestyle doesn't contribute to it is cause for a certain pride, I think.
>>
In my town it feels like Pride festivals are just an excuse for straight alpha Chads to get as publicly drunk/stoned as they want to be, they just have to wear some rainbow shit first and maybe be willing to get a little touchy feely with each other and no one questions it (which usually comes with getting super drunk/stoned anyways)
>>
>>8060417
I'm not saying it's something that even a small minority of gays do but there was an article on some gay website with a title that was something along the lines off "can we just admit that we do have a gay agenda and want kids to be gay?". No one would ever admit to it to someone they dont know really well but those types of gays are out there.
>>
>>8061180
You realize the "non-breeder" version of that comic would just be an empty frame right?
>>
>>8059982
Straight parades lost their meaning the moment straight people started to march along, followed by the politicians, the bankers and utter consumerism.

The straight people marching along now are the exact same type of people that would have kicked our faces in 30 years ago, and they're the exact same type of people who will do it again in the future.

When your movement is only based on a little fad that will die out in a few years, it's soulless and empty.
>>
>>8061180
I'm not a misanthrope, sorry.
>>
>>8061220
The social impetus behind breeding (status, family, personal genetic advancement etc.) are what is toxic, not the continuation of the species itself.

I think anonymous reproduction via artificial wombs would be a decent alternative.
>>
File: 1489115696290.jpg (277KB, 579x804px) Image search: [Google]
1489115696290.jpg
277KB, 579x804px
>>8059982
They are turning into pure cancer.
>>
>>8059982
>Want to be normalized and integrated into society
>push to stand out and be obnoxious as fuck

What did they mean by this
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.