[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did attitudes towards gays in the United States change so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: gay flag.gif (1KB, 324x216px) Image search: [Google]
gay flag.gif
1KB, 324x216px
How did attitudes towards gays in the United States change so rapidly?

I saw a 2005 news clipping on the wall of a pizza parlor today in a predominantly liberal city that detailed how the parlor had sparked controversy and a boycott just for posting a rainbow flag on their window. Today you would be assailed by SJW thought police for even making a gay joke.

What happened? Do you think it could swing back just as quickly?
>>
The gays are in the news, the media, and in the law

It'd take more than a couple years for everyone to deside "huh, maybe those people who I thought deserved equal rights actually SHOULD be stoned to death"
>>
So are you implying that American Christians are just as homophobic and violent towards gay people as much as the Muslims from ISIS? I thought stoning them to death was a medieval Arab thing to do. The most violently homophobic people in America are much more likely to shoot them to death, rather than throw them off a roof or literally stoning them.
>>
File: 1453351001843.png (14KB, 333x293px) Image search: [Google]
1453351001843.png
14KB, 333x293px
>>8012625
Jews.
>>
>>8012625
IT DIDNT CHANGE RAPIDLY THERE'S STILL A SHIT TON OF PEOPLE THAT ARE AGAINST GAY PEOPLE
>>
>>8012681
When was the last time western countries executed people just for being gay? I just Wikipedia'd sodomy laws in the United States and it looks like death stopped being the sentence in the early 1800s.
>>
>>8012688

This. When will this SJW thot police meme die.
>>
>>8012730
>>8012742
>please like me

Have some self respect.
>>
>>8012730
>I just Wikipedia'd sodomy laws in the United States and it looks like death stopped being the sentence in the early 1800s.
Check the last execution too. If it's recorded, it would probably be long before the punishment was actually abolished.
>>
>>8012818
>Joseph Ross
>1785
And the crime category is "sodomy/buggery/bestiality," so this guy could have fucked a horse for all we know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_executions_in_the_United_States_by_crime

But keep drawing that false equivalence to treatment of gays in the Islamic world.
>>
>>8012851
I wasn't the islamophile. Just a passerby. You are totally right, we are hundreds of years ahead of the Middle East (with the obvious exception).
>>
>>8012957
I know. That last line wasn't directed at you.
>>
>>8012625
>you would be assailed by SJW thought police for even making a gay joke.
don't be ridiculous

all my straight friends make fucking gay jokes

sjw's leave the group
>>
>>8012625
>What happened?
Ellen danced her way into bored American housewives hearts.
Changing questions like:
>Should gay people be allowed to get married?
to
>Should Ellen DeGeneres be allowed to get married?

That and a decade of shifting demographics. Most Millenials and Gen X'ers think it's okay to be gay. Over a few decades they've taken more control of the culture from their more homophobic baby boomers and silent generation ancestors that are retiring/dying out/changing their own positions on gay people.
>>
>>8012625
It has become less and less legal to beat and torture children.

If you gave me 10 kids, I could beat and torture 9 of them into being mindless moraless Christian fundamentalists who are against all things good and reasonable.

But if I'm neither allowed to beat nor torture them, I would have a tough time getting just 1 of them to be so worthless. With just words alone, most people are not born mentally ill enough to be completely worthless.
>>
>>8012625
people realized they knew gays and lesbians and that they really were the same as they were.
>>
>>8013466
That's a false narrative, and falling for it can get you in trouble. Straights always knew about gays and lesbians and that there was nothing wrong with them, but hurt them anyway for thousands of years.

If the straight child has been beat to believe that it should beat you, it will attempt to beat you until you prove you can beat it much harder than it's parent did.
>>
>>8013474
No, most people in the '70s didn't know any LGBT people. By the late '90s most did.
>>
>>8013488
That's still false even though you repeated it a second time. Most people in the year 0 BC knew that there were lots of gay people they knew.
>>
>>8012625

>Today you would be assailed by SJW thought police

social media, so much easier to jump on outrage trains now
>>
>>8013498
and what does biblical times have to do with modern law?

>>8013512
>outrage
poutrage, use the right word.
>>
>>8012625
I FUCKING WISH there was a sjw thought police
>>
>>8013518
Was does the bible OR modern law have to do with the fact that straights knew about the existence of gays for thousands of years?
>>
>>8013538
They were considered a part of society back then. None of the words used to describe gays back then are used in the bible.
>>
>>8013551
I don't give a shit whether or not straights consider gays a part of society or not, straights knew about gays and still did evil evil straight things thousands of years ago. What were those dog shit words of yours even supposed to mean?
>>
>>8013433
There is still corporal punishment in many schools, let alone in homes.
>>
>>8013569
I said less and less legal, not that child beating and torture is completely illegal now. At least in blue states, you'd better not get caught beating or torturing a child. In red states of course it's still a cultural passtime and mandated by the churches.
>>
>>8013560
Read:
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/thats-not-what-bible-says-294018.html
>>
>>8012625
You are a couple steps late.
It already swung back with /pol/ making bigotry cool
And I'm starting to percieve the beginning of a rebound from that already
>>
>>8013696
I'm supposed to give a shit when some straight says "gay may be evil for being gay, but [blah blah blah blah]"? It's not true, I don't give a shit if an infinite number of straights say I'm evil for existing, I don't care if they're pretending to be my friend when they do it, and I wasn't talking about a book, I was talking about evil things straights do in reality.
>>
You know gay people have surpassed Jews as the most likely to have a hate crime committed against?
>>
>>8013918
Surpassed? Are you implying that once upon a time it was the other way around?
>>
>>8013864
if you don't care then you shouln't be this bothered while talking about it.
>>
>>8014174
No. I don't have to like your stupid worthless bullshit or keep my mouth shut. There's a third option, one where I point out that you're worthless dog shit. There's probably even other as yet unexplored options.
>>
Have you never been to Rural America like spend some time out of your city its real shady shit . like you might not get killed but Every time you go out to the store or gas station guys wanna start shit until one day you fight back and knock his bitch ass out but his daddy is the da or a judge and now the cops pull you over every fucking day . then your job finds out and fires you under that stupid freedom to discriminate for religious reasons... It felt like middle school lol. Everyday then one of the guys that used to pick on you comes to your house and starts talking about his feelings and how cool it was that you stood up for urself and y'all kiss and its magic.... The south is a strange place... And eventually you don't care about getting harassed everyday because your happy
For that matter what about being Muslim or illegal in the south I feel bad for those folks cuz they can't hide like me
>>
>>8012625
>Do you think it could swing back just as quickly?
>swinging back

The degeneracy train has just started and it hasn't even gained momentum. Now we have multiple genders and kids are being transitioned. Next stop is pedophilia.
>>
>>8012688
It's because the gay movement is shit adn Gay pride sucks.

It's up to us to act and look normal. It's not really that difficult. Homosexuality itself is fine, we just need a better movement.
>>
>>8012625
>How did attitudes towards gays in the United States change so rapidly?
Pretending to be pro-lgbt just became popular.
>Do you think it could swing back just as quickly?
Easily.
Just ask someone, and really dig deep and you'll see that practically all of that acceptance is solely because "it makes me look progressive" or "that's how you behave in public".
>>
>>8012625
It did get a lot better and I hope it gets even better for everyone. I just wish I was born later to experience actual acceptance.
>>
>>8012625
~80% of people don't actually give a fuck
There is currently a majority pro-gay within the 20% that do.
Get over it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.