[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here feels like they aren't able to really access

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1486530871845.gif (994KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1486530871845.gif
994KB, 853x480px
Who else here feels like they aren't able to really access mental healthcare due to gatekeeping? I struggle a lot with self harm and suicidality, and I try my hardest to avoid becoming too reliant on alcohol. Honestly I just feel worthless and desolate, and I feel like it ruins what little relationships I have. But if I bring this up to someone who can help me, I'll just put my transition at risk. I'm so close to getting SRS, and part of the reason I'm so excited is that I will finally be able to talk candidly to a doctor without fear of someone ruining my transition, which is also essential. Why do psychologists have this system when it clearly only hurts trans folk?
>>
>>7874203
Because bodily alterations of this degree are a new field, and keeping people from killing themselves is as old as humanity.
Something something seniority, something something Occam's Razor, something something elimination of all outside variables.
Not to mention excess amounts of some testosterone blockers can cause depressive and even suicidal symptoms, so there is the possibility it may actually be the cause...
Keep in mind, 40% of us kill ourselves even after SRS, this is obviously not the only problem you have, and thank god you're aware of that.

That being said: How much longer until you have SRS and what exactly is the emotional problem at the problem you're struggling with now?
>>
File: 1467915237778.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467915237778.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
>>7874294
>40% of us kill ourselves even after SRS
How many kill themselves without SRS???

I've got a trans family member
>>
If US you can get a therapist unconnected to your prescribing doc and not grant the rights to share your records

I see a therapist at the local GIC and my doc is at the county hospital. They have no communication...
>>
>>7874415
They were being misleading, 40% of trans people ATTEMPT suicide, and there are no separate statistics for pre- and post-op suicide attempts afaik.
>>
>>7874420
This should work in most countries. Usually there's always private therapists as well.
>>
>>7874622
yeah I assume almost any civilized western society is like this (and some uncivilized societies like mine)

just wouldn't want to ignorantly encourage someone to do something that ended up having negative repercussions
>>
File: homuhomu.png (504KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
homuhomu.png
504KB, 1280x720px
>>7874294
>How much longer until you have SRS
A year.
>what exactly is the emotional problem at the problem you're struggling with now?
Abusive as fuck childhood. I've never had a healthy relationship with anyone ever. When I do make friends I just feel constantly excluded. I've never been anyone's favorite anything. I thought being cute would mean that I wouldn't be alone, but being a slut just means people use you and leave. Many more, but those are just some highlights. The only times I feel not so alone are when I'm drunk.
>Not to mention excess amounts of some testosterone blockers can cause depressive and even suicidal symptoms, so there is the possibility it may actually be the cause...
I'm on a pretty high dose of spiro despite having had low T to start with (thx XXY chromosomes). Who knows, maybe that's part of it, but I doubt it's anywhere close to a majority of it.
>>
>>7874203
Don't let yourself be forced into SRS just so that you know gatekeeping won't happen. Imagine if you regret it?
>>
>>7874829
>I thought being cute would mean that I wouldn't be alone, but being a slut just means people use you and leave.
this seems like an absolutely retarded mindset to have as someone trying to transition. are you kidding? if you are doing this purely for external validation you are way off the fucking mark. do you see how T people get treated outside of their internet spaces? (poorly)

plus you're posting anime girls. your expectation is already wildly unrealistic.
>>
>>7875440
>if you are doing this purely for external validation you are way off the fucking mark.
This is probably true for large numbers of trans people, even if they don't realize it consciously like OP does.

>do you see how T people get treated outside of their internet spaces? (poorly)
OP probably sees how F people get treated.
>>
>>7875426
fantastic, let's do that with abortion and other irreversable procedures.

Make it illegal to get it unless people waste a fortune in psych fees where a shrink only acepts it if you act like the most stepford like caricature and consultancy act cheer leader like peppy.

Oh, you'd be rioting in the streets if they treated Contraception and surgical abortion like HRt and surgery, wouldn't you?

Thank god pro life won, and they'll shut down planned parenthood and make you hypocritical body autonomy hating liberals live by your own standards.
>>7875440
Only crazy hons like you talk about how going through a route only hons do makes them legit. Your caricaturish behavior makes you no less of a monster.

You deserve all the ill treatmet you get for trying to keep others from self improving, hon.
>>
>>7876801
Getting SRS because your therapist won't help you if you don't isn't self improvement.

Getting SRS out of fear of gatekeeping isn't taking the pill because you don't want to need an abortion.
>>
>>7876823
Imagine if we had laws saying you couldn't get contraception or abortion if you were diagnosed with depression or a psych who's approval you need thought you were damaged in some way?

Belive me, I am over joyed they're finally gonna be pushing laws like that down your hypocritical throat after the prez overturns RvW like he promised he would.

You opose body autonomy and individualism, then live by those ideals.
>>
>>7876845
But that's the kind of law that are forcing OP into SRS.
>>
>>7876933
Yes, exactly we're already treated like animals unfit to enjoy the slightest bit of body autonomy, or individualism or free will because we're sick like this.

There's a broad consensus amongst liberals and conservatives that we deserve no rights and have to be protected from ourselves the way you would an animal.

So I think it would be fantastic if we could treat everyone the same, deny others and their selfish procedures body autonomy, make them go through the same costly wait where they have to lie and act like a cheerleader in a false front if they want any chance for an abortion.

Why should we treat people the same and give rights we say others don't deserve to a favored special intrest?

At least the prolife are more honest in wanting to deprive Everybody of those rights.
>>
>>7877502
Yes we need to end gatekeeping so people like OP don't get forced into SRS.
>>
>>7877645
Forced into?

What if people want things like ffs or srs and don't want to have to put up some ridiculous act where they're unable to get help for other things like depression or what the doc would call bdd
>>
>>7877502
>should
Shouldn't treat the same I meant , while giving others special rights you say should be forbidden to others
>>
>>7877713
We'll never know what OP wants because she's being forced into SRS so she can try and get help for her other things.
>>
>>7876845
this is the attitude cis women hate in mtf's huh
>>
>>7877821
You said that body autonomy is wrong and people should have no freedom to choose how they act or what they do with their bodies. So then why is it that there are exceptions, and you want exceptions despite saying body autonomy is evil?

I'm gender critical so don't even bring that card up. I just want the laws and regulations to treat everyone the same and if you say body autonomy is wrong, then you should walk the walk.
>>
>>7875426
I want SRS for myself, which is why I'm not willing to sacrifice it.

>>7875462
>OP probably sees how F people get treated
Pretty much. I pass well thankfully.
>even if they don't realize it consciously like OP does.
External validation is part of it, but it's far from the biggest part.
>>
Here in Maryland, and in several other states, there is the peer support option for mental health you could look into. It's not that well known, but it's out there. I work at a peer to peer wellness and recovery center, and the place helped me more with my mental health issues than the professional stuff.

Peer support is basically people with lived experience dealing with their own mental health issues helping to support others currently going through stuff. Everyone is different, but I found talking to people that had actually been through stuff to be a lot more helpful than talking to people that had only read about my diagnosis in books and in classrooms.

Most peer support that I know of is completely free, too. We're not part of the clinical model of mental health care, so there's no risk of anything you say getting back to those in charge of your transition. Plus, since most of us have thought of suicide at least once in our lives, at least at my center, we know the difference between self-harming as an extreme coping skill in order to STAY alive, suicidal thoughts and idealizations, and actually planning on committing suicide.

I don't know how other centers operate, but at mine at least, you have the option of attending various groups or talking one on one with someone. Anyway, it might be worth looking into.
>>
File: d21.jpg (63KB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
d21.jpg
63KB, 699x699px
>>7874203
here's what i recommend-

Get a different therapist for your depression, and dont tell your current doc that he exists. If your depression shrink asks about the SRS prescribing doctors, simply say "I am not comfortable giving you that information, because it puts my transition at risk." If he pushes the issue further, move on and try a different shrink.

This is what i'm currently doing as a FtM with my T prescribing doc and my trauma therapist. The trauma therapist even said he would never ask that question, and that most metal health professionals understand how wary we are of them.

Due to medical confidentiality laws, they have no way of getting each other's names without you telling them.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.